• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Process for crimp removal

headednorth

NES Member
Question regarding crimped primer pockets. Do you run every case through your decrimping process or do you comb through looking for only the cases that have been crimped?

I've been using one of those weldon bits to ream out the crimp. If I run a whole batch through without culling the non crimped cases, am I weakening cases with no crimp by reaming the pocket?

I run them all through a Dillon 600 Swager tool. You get a feel for each cartridge and each time you physically handle them you have a chance to identify any flaws or defects in a cartridge so you can cull them from the batch.
Processing rifle brass for me is a multi step process.
Clean - tumble.
Lube, re-size, de-prime
Swage primer pocket
Trim case neck to size
reload
When I do this, I normally do 5k or so and it takes weeks of starting and stopping as time allows. This gives me enough ammo to last until I have forgotten what a pain in the a$$ it was and I do it again.

i only need to do it with military 5.56. i don't bother with a swager tool, i do have a rcbs. i just give them a couple twists with a primer deburring tool. i'm not looking for competition quality brass, just range stuff. all i want to do is seat a primer. i've done tens of thousands of pieces with my little tool over the years.

large-lyman-deburring-tool-17-60-cal (2).jpg

I'm just looking to keep the process streamlined. That and the eyes aren't what they used to be so squinting at 1k cases to determine if they are crimped or not is something id like to avoid if possible.

For instance, I don't bother to measure cases to see if they need to be trimmed or not. I run every one through the trimmer. If it needs to get trimmed, it gets trimmed. If not, I feel it immediately and move on. No harm done. Just wasn't sure if reaming the primer pockets of cases that were never crimped would cause an issue or not.

That and the eyes aren't what they used to be so squinting at 1k cases to determine if they are crimped or not is something id like to avoid if possible.
what caliber? i know military 5.56 use copper colored primers, easy to spot and are crimped. silver primers = reloaded already. this rule of thumb is only for u.s. military cases. i have no clue what those foreign manufacturers do, don't use them

what caliber? i know military 5.56 use copper colored primers, easy to spot and are crimped. silver primers = reloaded already. this rule of thumb is only for u.s. military cases. i have no clue what those foreign manufacturers do, don't use them

sometimes 223 commercial is crimped too these days...
The RCBS Primer Pocket swager works great (& you're work-hardening brass instead of removing metal in a pressurized area)
is comes with a tool for large & small primer pockets

I just load them all up
me too. it's not going to matter until you start loading to 5.56 specs and continually shoot in a barrel marked 223 rem.. do you have civillian market u.s. manufactured .223 that has crimped in primers? any lake city ammo i've seen is military contract and it's loaded 5.56 nato pressures. haven't seen military in 223. i doubt the military would contract 2 loadings for issue, 223 & 5.56. if they do it's an education for me. transparency disclaimer: never been in the military so dunno???? maybe there's 223 made special for the marksmanship unit. be interesting to hear from folks with more knowledge than i, never too old to learn.

I'm just looking to keep the process streamlined. That and the eyes aren't what they used to be so squinting at 1k cases to determine if they are crimped or not is something id like to avoid if possible.

I don't get it. LC (and others...) is crimped. You remove the crimp during the first time it's processed then never have to do it again. Are you keeping track of your brass?

sometimes 223 commercial is crimped too these days...
The RCBS Primer Pocket swager works great (& you're work-hardening brass instead of removing metal in a pressurized area)
is comes with a tool for large & small primer pockets
this tool is ok but sometimes you will come across brass with a thicker web and distort the brass or bend the tool.

Question regarding crimped primer pockets. Do you run every case through your decrimping process or do you comb through looking for only the cases that have been crimped?

I've been using one of those weldon bits to ream out the crimp. If I run a whole batch through without culling the non crimped cases, am I weakening cases with no crimp by reaming the pocket?
I sort by headstamp and remove the crimp when necessary using a Weldon deburring bit in a drill press. The cases end up being much easier to prime than if you're swaging them, and it's faster than adjusting a swaging tool for different headstamps.

I love getting them because I know they're once fired.

Back
Top Bottom