• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Problems with preban G19 mag

I picked up a preban G19 mag (DF/gen2). Tried to run some federal through it in my 26 (with a grip adapter). After a few rounds the slide locked open. Then again...again. ergh.

So I figured it's old...weak mag spring. I got a new spring and follower (eh, had it apart anyway). The old spring was nice and brown (bleck), and under no compression did not expand any near as much as the new spring.

Took it to the range last night, same thing [thinking]

Now I haven't tried it in a 19 (didn't have it with me). Not sure if it would have mattered.

Any thoughts on what else I could check? Really thought it was just a weak/worn out mag spring.

Thinking maybe the grip adapter doesn't do it's job well enough to keep the mag from over-seating in the magwell? Just a thought. I've never owned a 26 so have no experience using a 19 mag in a 26. And anyhow I don't think a weak mag spring would give you the trouble of the slide locking open prematurely. The follower is not anywhere near the slide lock until there are no rounds left in the mag.

good point! I think it would make sense to pop it in the a 19 that it's supposed to fit and see if it reoccurs.

There's a set screw on the grip adapter so I can adjust the height. (came with the mag) If it runs in the 19 I just need to find the right fit.

(fingers crossed)

The follower could be the problem. Glock updates their followers all the time but sometimes recommends that earlier certain follower "revisions" be used in earlier mags due to difference in dimensions/shape especially the slide lock activation pad on the front left of the follower. If the follower is the wrong one it could be dragging and tilting in the mag. What was the number of the follower you took out of the mag? What is the follower number you put back in?

Also the feed lips could be getting weak and spread open...its does happen on glocks like on crappy 1911 mags...and causing contact issues with the slide.

Send me a PM with pics if you can and I'll see if you have a follower issue.

NRA Instructor
Glock Armorer

Last edited:
Oh and glocks mags have a ledge on the right side near the top that hits a mating ledge inside the magwell so that they can't be overseated...that's what allows the mag interchangability that glocks are known for. Check the ledge to see if its heavily worn and possibly not doing its job anymore.

Regarding the follower, there was no "-" # on the old one. So I purchased an old style (-3) and a new style (-6). I was hopefull I guess and put the -6 in it. I will try the -3 in it too.

I visually compared the pre-ban to a new mag (feed lips) and it was hard to see any difference. But if it's worn maybe it wouldn't take much.

I think I have a couple of things to look in to.

Let me know how you make out. If the feed lips look pretty much like a new mag then they shouldnt be causing a problem. Dont forget the check that ledge on the mag I mentioned. If its worn, it could be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom