problems with M&P9

I took my M&P9 to Manchester Firing Line yesterday and had a number of problems with it. At least once per 10 round mag, I'd get a failure to feed. I also got a few stove pipes over a couple of boxes of ammo. The ammo I used a box of Blazer (I know, I know) and Remington UMC.

I also tried some Hydrashock and Corbon +P and had no problems with either of these. The guy at the range said they had a similar problem with their's.

Any idea how to fix this? S&W said they'll send a shipping label but I'd like to not send it in if I can avoid it.

Is the gun brand new? Many guns will jam when they are being broken in. Did the gun jam with one specific magazine? Did you try using different magazines? Most jamming problems are mag related. Next, you mentioned that other ammo worked without any problems. Some guns just won't cycle certain ammo. I would suggest buying a few different boxes of ammo and running them thru the gun and record your results. If it is just the cheap ammo then stay away from it. Otherwise I would just send it back to S&W. They work quickly and will get the gun back to you right away.

There's nothing wrong with CCI Blazer... I shoot tons of the
stuff. (both blazer brass and blazer AL).

One thing however, is it might be useful to shoot something like a
box of Federal AE through it and see what happens. (IMO its a
notch or so hotter than Blazer and UMC. ) The fact that it didn't
jam with the potent stuff makes me think it's not broken in
yet. (this is a WAG on my part, I could be wrong, though)

If you get past 2-300 rounds with it, and it is still being
a pain in the ass, might be time to send it off to S+W.

-Mike

Thanks for the suggestions Pete and Mike.

Yes, the gun is new. Before this it had only had 10 rounds of Hydrashock through it. I used 4 different mags (got my two freebies last week) and had jams with all 4. I was careful about keeping track of them too. As I mentioned, the problems were only with the Blazer and UMC.

I think I'll try to exercise the thing a bit more before sending it back.

I have always found Remington UMC to be a bit weak on the power scale. I have a few guns that just refuse to eat it. In the arena of bargain ammo, try 100 rounds of Winchester White Box that they sell at Wally World, all my guns eat that without a problem. As others have alluded to, I bet once you get 500 rounds through it, it might reconsider eating the Blazer and the Remington stuff.

Last edited:
Ambulance chaser ..........

[laugh2]

Seriously though, give it a chance to break in. After about half a case, then you might want to send it in.

I've found UMC to be all over the spectrum in terms of power. Their .38s are pretty hot IMO compared to what I usually use.

I agree with vellnueve, let it break in. My M&P9c took a couple hundred rounds to get all the quirks out of it.
Jr

Actually, Cross-X is a certified, accredited ambulance chaser, not a vulture.

I should note that my M&P shot flawlessly out of the box. Don't think I've had a FTE/FTF/stovepipe/misfire

I just got the M&P40 and put 150 rounds of factory reloads,50 rounds of blazer and 100 of UMC.I havent experienced any problems so far.I still havent got used to the trigger though.

I have the same problem with Remington Ammo in my SW Sigma 9VE tonight. I fired over 400 rounds of Winchester White Box with no FTF or FTE switched to Remington UMC and had 4 FTE..

I have the same problem with Remington Ammo in my SW Sigma 9VE tonight. I fired over 400 rounds of Winchester White Box with no FTF or FTE switched to Remington UMC and had 4 FTE..

I saw your post and found it interesting. I'm going to take a close look at the rounds I have. I'll probably send the M&P in but I want to try it at the range again. Worst comes to worst, I just avoid UMC.

Once you buy one M&P. then you buy another, and another...

Great guns. I'm sure whatever problem you're having with your gun is only a temporary one.

D.

I am tempted to get an M&P40c. Do you have one? I'd like a CC gun.

Mine has been back to Smith twice. it was ejecting the empties in my face. it still does it from time to time but it is better. One thing I have noticed is that (mine at lease) is a picky eater. Works perfectly with Winchester 147gr SXTs and Remington 115gr FMCs. However if I use Independence 115s or Federal 147 FMC it runs like crap.

Back
Top Bottom