• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Problems with Glock 23 **PICS added***

W

wolf223

So it goes...

I stopped by Four Seasons today and had nite sites put on my Glock 23.

I then went to the range to fire of a few rounds and [angry]

The slide would lock back after EVERY shot.

So I checked my hand positioning, verified that I wasn't being a wuss and tried again.

*same.

So I did a field strip and noticed that the extractor plunger wasn't bouncing back after being pressed. I thought, "ok, this has to be it"

So with the minimal tools I had (none), I detailed stripped the Slide and corrected that problem using my keys and a metal rod from a binder clip [smile]. MaGuyver ain't got s**t on me!

*problem with the extractor plunger was the spring was "sideways" in the shaft vs. vertical...

OK

So now that I got that squared away... I reload a magainze and commence "da shootin" and it happend again.

At this point, I figured it was the ammo. So I went switched from JHP's to FMJ's.... SAME PROBLEM.

I did a field strip again and noticed that the slide lock lever spring is not in the right place....

So then I get the thinking hmmmmmmmm[thinking] - must have been when I put the smooth trigger in... (or) the nite site installation.

I got home, popped the upper pin out from the frame and reinserted it with the spring BELOW vs. above the pin... problem solved (i think).

Now I'm pissed because I can't go back to the range and verify the fault(s). I will now have to carry my 1911 until I can sneak back over to the range and fire off 100 rounds or so...

Worst of all, I fired all my carry ammo through my soon to be traded M&P as well... so I guess it's a flip of a coin between the M&P9c w / FMJ's or 1911 with the good stuff! 230gr JHP's! [laugh]

I will try and post pics later for visual - as well as displaying the nite sites....

I knew I shouldn't have gone to Four Seasons today! It was spur of the moment - all I was going to pick up was a box of Blazer CCI and Federal JHP's but NOOOOOOOOOO.... had to go and dick around!

I'm pissed because I fired off 80 rounds a few weeks ago w/o any problems AFTER I put the smooth trigger.

Part of me wants to send it back to Glock and let them fix it but I don't want to part with it right now or pay for shipping!!!!

any input will be greatly appreciated

*rant over*

Last edited by a moderator:
nite sites

DSCN0367.jpg

DSCN0368.jpg

DSCN0369.jpg

DSCN0376.jpg

My guess would have been the slide release spring you had mentioned being in the wrong spot. I'm about 95% sure that will fix your issue.

There isn't much to a Glock, so if that doesn't solve your problem, I'd at least call them and see if they have suggestions.

Keep us posted

here goes...

spring is below and all seems to be well
DSCN0371edit2.jpg

at first it was ABOVE the upper pin

DSCN0371edit.jpg

first it was on the (left) - now it's on (right)

DSCN0374edit.jpg

the former status of the spring

DSCN0375edit2.jpg

the current status of the spring

DSCN0375edit.jpg

these go inside as such

DSCN0378edit.jpg

these WERE inside as such

DSCN0381edit.jpg

who did it? the nite sites? my smooth trigger? a combination of shit that happens in the show "seconds from disaster"????

DSCN0382edit.jpg

Neither one of the issues you drew out was correct. Both of your corrected pictures are the way it should be. Assuming you assemble it all back together that way, you should have no more issues. Usually though, the slide locking back every time is due to the slide release spring being OVER that pin instead of under it. As for the ejector spring... no idea how it even fit in there like that. Put 'em both back the way they should be and give us a range report.

Neither one of the issues you drew out was correct. Both of your corrected pictures are the way it should be.

ok, well at least I got that right.

Assuming you assemble it all back together that way, you should have no more issues. Usually though, the slide locking back every time is due to the slide release spring being OVER that pin instead of under it.

It was OVER, now it's under.

As for the ejector spring... no idea how it even fit in there like that. Put 'em both back the way they should be and give us a range report.

I will. I'm going to try and rush back from drill tomorrow and throw a few down range.

**I did NOT detail strip the slide at all until today. Not that it matters, but the slide still has the residue from factory...

The only thing I did was install a smooth trigger and I did fire off 80 or so rounds before I started carrying this pistol.

I'm racking my brain because I know the thing worked last time at the range. LOL

That's why I posted here.... maybe the slide lock spring mysteriously got outta place or maybe it was the installation of the night sites... I know that nite sites would NOT involve messing with the trigger....

but I can't zone in on the problem due to the variables...

Talk about F'd up!

I appoligize for the crappy illustrations... just trying to visualize where things were vs. where they are now (sp)

The illustrations couldn't have been THAT crappy, as I understood what you were trying to convey [laugh]

As I said, 95% sure it was the slide release spring. It's easy to overlook when you're putting things back together and technically the gun CAN still function, it's just more likely to lock back every time.

For now, don't carry it, take 'er to the range and check it out. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised [wink]

I had the same issue when I installed a smooth trigger on my G23. The spring was in the wrong place. had to go back to glockmeister or what ever site and detail through the steps. carry on.

TO: person whom sent me the PM - your mailbox is full. My first PM went through (i think).

tip the gun upside down and see if the slide stop springs back on its own let me know xxxxxxxxxxx.

Yes, the slide lock / release returned to the normal position upon release - when upside down....

Today has been one big giant

LOL....

I had the same issue when I installed a smooth trigger on my G23. The spring was in the wrong place. had to go back to glockmeister or what ever site and detail through the steps. carry on.

yep, that's pretty much my conclusion... range report will follow tomorrow.

For the record:

I will have to add that this is NOT an attempt to blame or attack Four Seasons.

This is an attempt to try and solve my issue w/o having to ship my CCW for a couple days / weeks to Glock.

The gentlemen who did my Scrivener / Bird Man "nite sites" have nothing to do with my current problem.

I live in Woburn and Four Seasons is the shit!

All set.

Went today after work and fired off 70something Blazer CCI and 20something Federal JHP's

I'm so freakin glad....

thanks for all the input / support.

Back
Top Bottom