• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Problems with feeding round on 1911

Please help.

I did some research and it seems other people have had this problem too. I have a s&w 45 acp 1911 pro series with a 3 inch barrel.

I have gone to the range with this gun twice this week. I just bought it new. I cleaned it today.

The round will not chamber into the barrel which results in myself having to either try to force the slide forward or press the magazine release button and force the mag down.

After the first time this happen a couple days ago, my friend asked me to run some oil threw the barrel and down the feed ramp. I did and it did work pretty good. But I only shot one more mag and left. I went today and if I add more than 3 bullets in the mag, it has to be pulled down. Less than 3 bullets, than I can force the slide forward and shoot the 3 rounds.

Please help me with this. I know other people have had this happen to them and I would love to know what they did to fix it.

It sucks sending a brand new gun in for repair after two times using it.

Thanks

just so you know I got it back from the shop and they polished the feed ramp. That's all and gave me a new mag swap out for the broken one.

Last edited:
What type of ammo? Ball ammo? JHP?
When the jam happens have you tried tapping the mag?
Are you dropping the slide from slide lock or easing it into battery at all?
Slide/frame lubricated enough?
Probably will take more than 1 box of ammo to break in too.

Need more info, pics would help

how far is it out of battery? is the bullet jammed on the feed ramp or top of the chamber?

is the slide release being activated when you have more than 3 in?

don't put oil in the barrel or on the feedramp

Post up pics of your mags. My friend had an issue with the follower on some of his S&W mags, while I never had an issue. The main difference was a spring lip on his, versus a solid follower on mine. The end of the rounds would point downwards when trying to feed, causing an issue when stripped off the mag.

EDIT: Added comparative pictures.

My mags:

IMG_0734.JPG IMG_0735.JPG

His style mags:
IMG_0420 small.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Stars I have one as well and had the same problem with it right out of the box. After doing some extensiveresearch and talking to a few very reputablesmiths they identifed the problems on both weapons that I own. One being the S&W 3inch Pro and a Kimber Super Carry Ultra HD. 2 subcompact 3inch 1911's withthe same EXACT probelms brand new right out of the box. Failure to feed / slide does not go into FULL battery. With both weapons there was no consistancey. Sometime it was the 5thround somtime the 1st round didn't mater on the magazine or the 8 types of ammo I used.

The first common thing youll find in your own research is "limp wristing" make sure that is not happening. The secondcommonthing you will find in your reserch is "feed ramp" stuff. Those are the 2 most common. However after bringing both of them to a very reputable and expirienced smith he identifed the problems on both weapons and beleive it or not they were alomost identical. This was after I almost replaced the slide spirng on both which you will find in your research that allot lean towards that too. In short on both the slide catch pins were part of the probelem along with the barrel links. He aslo had to take both the feed ramps down and polish them. Those were the big problems that I remember him explainingto me there were a few others that I can't remember. When I brought both weapons to him I had 300 through each and did not clean them per his request. Don't clean it, if you bring it to a smith or decide to send it to S&W it helps the smith determine what's contributing to it's malfuctions cause wear marks etc are allot more noticable. I choose not to send them back to the manafactures because after calling both a few times and speaking to their represenatives I was not convincedby either and given a warm and fuzzy that the problems would be fixed.

Read the threads on the 1911 Forum. It's regarding the Kimber that I have but the S&W 3inch Pro is pretty much the same eaxact weapon.
I love my Kimber Super Carry Ultra, but can't carry it - 1911Forum

Please help.

I did some research and it seems other people have had this problem too. I have a s&w 45 acp 1911 pro series with a 3 inch barrel.

I have gone to the range with this gun twice this week. I just bought it new. I cleaned it today.

The round will not chamber into the barrel which results in myself having to either try to force the slide forward or press the magazine release button and force the mag down.

After the first time this happen a couple days ago, my friend asked me to run some oil threw the barrel and down the feed ramp. I did and it did work pretty good. But I only shot one more mag and left. I went today and if I add more than 3 bullets in the mag, it has to be pulled down. Less than 3 bullets, than I can force the slide forward and shoot the 3 rounds.

Please help me with this. I know other people have had this happen to them and I would love to know what they did to fix it.

It sucks sending a brand new gun in for repair after two times using it.

Thanks

I figured I would write in with a update... I clean the gun and mags today and took a trip to the range. Well I guess it was one mag. With the other mag, the gun chambered fine. I put the first mag back in and it failed to feed. I called my gun store to see if they would swap my broken mag for a new one. Considering I bought it last week. I got a answer of " we have to send it back to the factory if you want a new mag so they can check the gun too." So this brand new gun I have had for a week will go back just for a mag replacement. I am a little upset considering I could just use the gun with the good mag in the mean time. But no I got to send the broken mag with the gun. I feel b.s ed.

I know how you feel, but the gun store did not build the gun. I have had a couple that had to go back, but when they came back, they were great. You also have the option to just purchase another mag, and throw the bad one away. Some brands only give you one mag with a new gun.

yeah, the gun shop is just a channel to the mfg brutha. dont let it get you down, they can only do so much. If its a Smith they typically do a nice job on their work, now I say typically because there are always examples of poor work with any mfg and to say otherwise is a farce.

It's pretty standard to have to send this gun back to the factory for reliability work.

Absurd!!! If I ever had to do that I'd tell them to keep their defective gun and send me my money back.

How could S&W be that negligent to allow a non tested or piss poorly tested, unreliable gun out the door?

Absurd!!! If I ever had to do that I'd tell them to keep their defective gun and send me my money back.

How could S&W be that negligent to allow a non tested or piss poorly tested, unreliable gun out the door?

This is why I would never buy a Smith. And the fact they cheap out and use an external extractor.

I hope it's fixed for you OP, these are pricey guns. Sucks that this is happening though. Next 1911 buy another maker [wink]

probably mag,... oh i just saw you post hope you have a quick turn around my friend. Had a pro series, and loved it, no issues with either.

Back
Top Bottom