• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Problem with SW 1911

I went to the range last night and ran into a couple problems with the 1911. After about 20 shots, one of the casings got stuck while ejecting, which was an easy fix. but then about 10-15 shots later, it ftf and when I slid it back, it was pushed into the barrel. Then I locked the slide back and gave it a little shake but nothing happened. Then I stuck a metal rod down the front and it pushed out without any friction. Any idea on what could have caused this? I was using Winchester .45 jhp.

I had only put 50 rounds through it since it was cleaned last time. Any ideas?

After about 20 shots, one of the casings got stuck while ejecting, which was an easy fix.

the slide didn't go all the way back and the round couldn't flip out the side.

then about 10-15 shots later, it ftf and when I slid it back, it was pushed into the barrel.

Slide doesn't come back all the way and won't allow the new round to load straight. Sounds like you pushed it in by working the slide.

Maybe I'm misreading / misunderstanding your post.

eta: do you mean ftf to be failure to fire or failure to feed? I understood it to be feed.

Unless I am mistaken, it can cause the slide not to reach its full rear position, and therefore not reset the sear/hammer - thus getting a failure to fire.
I am not sure what you mean by the round 'pushing into the barrel'. the round should chamber, if it fails to extract when you pull the slide back is an indication that the extractor is not fulling engaging.
I would definitely look at the extractor to determine if it is moving properly and engaging the rim etc.

Pilgrim - you type faster than I do - of course you probably don't have a pug on your lap/competing with your fingers for the keyboard.

I went to the range last night and ran into a couple problems with the 1911. After about 20 shots, one of the casings got stuck while ejecting, which was an easy fix. but then about 10-15 shots later, it ftf and when I slid it back, it was pushed into the barrel. Then I locked the slide back and gave it a little shake but nothing happened. Then I stuck a metal rod down the front and it pushed out without any friction. Any idea on what could have caused this? I was using Winchester .45 jhp.

I had only put 50 rounds through it since it was cleaned last time. Any ideas?

When you slid what back?
Was the round in front of the extractor?
was the gun at half cock when you tried to fire it?
what did the round look like when you ejected it, was it buldged? have a bad crimp?

Was the first stoppage a stovepipe?

It failed to fire. I'm gonna break it down, give it a good cleaning and check out the parts (to the best of my very limited ability)...and take it from there I guess.

When you slid what back?
Was the round in front of the extractor?
was the gun at half cock when you tried to fire it?
what did the round look like when you ejected it, was it buldged? have a bad crimp?

Was the first stoppage a stovepipe?

It was the 2nd or 3rd round of the magazine. The trigger felt like it was on safety...so I released the magazine and pulled the slide back. The live round did not eject, it was in the chamber. I locked the slide back...and it came out with a slight push with a metal rod. The round was fine....I put it in an emply magazine, and it fired.

what the slide all the way closed when it would not fire? If yes, and the hammer did not drop, was the grip safety engaged all the way.

where was the hammer when the gun did not fire, full cock, half or all the way down?

Yeah it was closed all the way. the hammer was fully cocked, and I don't think it was the grip safety, because I have never really had an issue with it before... Honestly something tells me it was just something stupid that I'm overlooking right now. If it persists then I'll probably just look for someone more knowledgable to look at all the nooks and cranny's

I would:

1.) Clean and lube the pistol
2.) Change the ammo
3.) Change the mag
4.) Really focus on your grip

5.) if the problems persist at all, send it back to S&W

Back
Top Bottom