• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Problem with Marlin 336 dummy screw(s)

jeffC

NES Member
I recently bought a Marlin 336 30-30. I was putting a scope on ot for the upcoming coyote season and I ran into a problem. Two of the dummy scope mount screws are locked in there GOOD. There were originally four screws. One of them basically fell out. The second came out with me and another guy fighting it for about 75 minutes and MANY screwdrivers. These things are in there GOOD. Either they bend my tools trying to get them out, or my tools strip the screw. It seems like not only did they use loc-tite, but they coated the gun with the finish with these screws already installed. Needless to say, I need help getting these last two screws out. Anyone run into this problem before and figure out a fix? Do you have any suggestions? Know a guy or a place I can take it to in the Leominster/ Worcester area that works quick? I've tried everything except drilling it out (which I'm not mechanically inclined to do without probably screwing up the gun and its new finish).

Use an exacto knife and cut the line between the screw and the hardware to break the varnish. That might help. Never had to do this for a gun, but did it more than a few times replacing windows that people had put 80 layers of paint on...I've had to cut through 1/8" of heavy duty lacquer to free them, they usually let go fairly easily once the seal is broken.

Ok, so...... an update. I've tried both of these ideas, with NO prevail. Thanks guys, but it didn't work. I tried just puttng the base and all that on the gun with just the two holes, and securing it that way, but I feel like its not holding zero like it should wit 4. Does anyone know of anyone in the Leominster-Worcester-Northboro area who can drill these holes out for me? I can trade services. Im an Glock armorer, a Certified Bow technician, and all around handy dude. Just not set up to drill out tiny-ass screws from a rifle without f***ing it up.

If it wont screw with the finish of the reciever try acetone incase the screws wer installed with superglue. I had an experience with superglue once,(no detals needed), but it worked out great with Acetone, Im sure you will have less explaining than I did,

If it wont screw with the finish of the reciever try acetone incase the screws wer installed with superglue. I had an experience with superglue once,(no detals needed), but it worked out great with Acetone, Im sure you will have less explaining than I did,

Unfortunately, I have fought with this for so long and with so many tools that I have stripped the screws beyond salvation. I'm afraid now, my only option is to get them drilled out. Thanks though!!

Back
Top Bottom