Problem with a Ruger Mark IV

Terry Schultz

NES Member
Today at the range I started having trouble inserting my magazines. They would go about half way in and then stop. With a little authority I was able to get them to go all the way in. It started after about 6 magazine loads. It seams to be hanging up on the magazine release latch. If I push the magazine release button in slightly the magazine will go in without any problem. I did clean it last night and again when I got back from the range but the problem still persists. Anyone got any idea why this started to happen?

Sounds like the stupid magazine safety mechanism. Take it apart, compare the parts to a video for discrepancies, reassemble.

Sounds like the stupid magazine safety mechanism. Take it apart, compare the parts to a video for discrepancies, reassemble.

I concur, but would install the Tandemkross "Blast Shield" and forgo the mag disconnector, which will fail again...

maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks for the post but I that is not where it is getting stuck. The magazine release device that is lower in the grip is where the magazine is getting stuck. If I push the magazine release button slightly as I insert the magazine it will allow it to slip right in. I already have the Valquartson accurizing kit in the gun and that does away with the will not fire without a magazine in the gun function.

Re-read your reply. Sounds like the top of your mag is hanging up on the mag release. Do you see any wear marks or damage on the top of the mag that corresponds to sticking the release button pin during insertion?

~Enbloc

Last edited:
Remove the mag catch/release button and inspect the mag catch area for burrs. Clean the mag catch with a fine emery paper if burrs are found. If there is an area with gouges or obvious damage repair the area with a small Dimond file. If the Mag Catch button is damaged you could also replace it with a new part. This is an easy part to remove, inspect, reinstall or replace.

Do you have an aftermarket extended mag release on it? If so, what make?
No, it is the stock part. But I would like to get an extended one.
Remove the mag catch/release button and inspect the mag catch area for burrs. Clean the mag catch with a fine emery paper if burrs are found. If there is an area with gouges or obvious damage repair the area with a small Dimond file. If the Mag Catch button is damaged you could also replace it with a new part. This is an easy part to remove, inspect, reinstall or replace.
I looked at a utube video of this problem and the poster removed the release latch and put a slight angle on the bottom of the right side, leaving the top in tack so it can catch the magazine. Once I work up the courage to take the part out I will look for any burrs and maybe try filing a slight angle on the part so the magazine will slide past it without hanging up. Thank you all.

Last edited:
I looked to see where you are located because I was going to suggest that you drop by. Unfortunately you live a great distance from me. The part is easy to remove and if you want you can contact me for help. I see you are traveling man welcome brother.

I looked to see where you are located because I was going to suggest that you drop by. Unfortunately you live a great distance from me. The part is easy to remove and if you want you can contact me for help. I see you are traveling man welcome brother.
Thank you Brother

Well I took it apart and used my Dremel to cut a ramp on the lower side of the right side of the magazine release latch. It now works great. The magazine no longer stops half way in and it latches in tight when inserted. After I made the ramp I used some cold blue to keep the part looking good and stop it from rusting. Thanks for the help. Here is a picture of the latch with the ramp on the right.​

Oy8wX2y.jpg

Back
Top Bottom