Problem sizing bullets

mark2215

NES Member
I'm having a problem sizing my latest batch of bullets. I'm using a .358 die on my star sizer. The bullets are hitek coated and are .360 before sizing. The problem is after sizing there is a thin ring of lead that is squished off the base of the bullet. I have been sizing the bullets dry but I just ordered hitek bullet lube. Could the lack of lube be causing this?

bullet.jpg

Are you using Lathesmith die? I have not done any sizing of dry boolits but I bet lube will clean up the problem. Try coating a couple with chapstick and compare.

Lathesmith makes better dies than Star. If you cast for 45 auto, you can try one if near norwood.

Do you have Dillon case lube?
Or anything similar?
Just hit them with any type of lube like that and they will size way easier and you shouldn’t get as much of a skirt when you’re done.

Too much friction going through the die or sizing down too much and your base punch is squishing I to the soft lead.

Not a big deal. Little lube and it’s fixed.

Thanks for the help guys.

Fixxah, I have some dies from Lathesmith but this die came with the press.

My guess too is lack of lube. I have some on the way. I'll report back once I give it a try.

Mark it almost looks like you have 2 problems #1 a top punch that is much smaller than the sizing die and #2 the alloy might be a little to soft.

I would just use some lube and not worry about it.
Anything will work really. I’ve used some rem oil and similar stuff before. You don’t even need it on every one. Like with lube sizing, passing a lubed bullet back through every 5th bullet or so helps to keep the die lubed and keep things sizing with little to no pressure

I still find generic petroleum jelly works just fine for case sizing and, if needed, for bullet sizing, too.
If you get a bit of edge on the bullet base, you can always kiss it with a file or sandpaper, but I doubt that is even necessary, in most instances.

For .38/.357, 0.360" lead is just right in all my guns.
Have you tried NOT sizing the bullets? Try some tumble lubed as-cast.
My testing showed that as-cast (and back then hand lubed) were more accurate than sized bullets, though my tests were against a std. Lubri-Sizer.
Next, your post sounds like you have coated bullets that should be ready to go and you're trying to size them? If so, why?

Back
Top Bottom