• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Problem metering Unique with Lee autodisk

WanMan99

NES Life Member
NES Member
Wanted to get a large batch of .38 158gr round nose done. I checked my powder stock and decided on Unique (had a couple of pounds). Chart lists disk 43 which should equal 4.0gr (max load listed is 4.3). I ran 20 cases through it while checking for weight consistency and it varied between 3.7gr and 3.8. This is below the starting weight of 4.0gr so I decided to move up to disk 49 and see what weight it would throw consistently. 20 more cases and 3.8 - 4.0. Next one I tried was 53 and it was throwing 4.4 - 4.5 (too much). I gave up on Unique through the auto disk and switched over to Bullseye. Recommended disk is 37 which throws 3.5gr and it did 22 cases in a row without variation (impressive). Definitely an issue with the flake powder through the auto disk as opposed to the granular Bullseye powder. I will probably use the Unique for .357 which will require a larger amount and may work out better.
Need to feed the S&W 686 this weekend...

I have found the same exact issue with the autodisk. The chart list always appears to be one disk hole number lower than what is really needed. Also, I have totally given up on trying to use Unique powder with the Lee autodisk. It just does not meter accurately. I found in 1 or 2 in 10 attempts being .5 grains short and sometimes being .2 over.

Bullseye works great though. Every other fine grain powder seems to work as well.

I use the adjustable version of the Autodisk and don't have that problem. I may need to take some time adjusting it, but once set it will run 100 rounds w/o a hitch.

I use the adjustable version of the Autodisk and don't have that problem. I may need to take some time adjusting it, but once set it will run 100 rounds w/o a hitch.

Is that with Unique Powder? Curious. I have the adjustable version but honestly did not put that much effort into trying with Unique.

Didnt lee invent the perfect powder measure to fix this problem.?
I have 3 powder measures come some are better than others with different powder.

Bigger problem is.. What do I do with the 8lb keg of Unique I have ??? Does Dillon have issues with Unique through their powder measure system? (please say no so I can buy one).

I took the below 10 samples using the adjustable disk for the Lee AutoDisk Measure. I was shooting for a 4.7 to reload some .38 Specials. The powder being used was Unique. I am interested to know thoughts from other folks.

2 Pours, Divided by 2
9.1, 4.55
8.9, 4.45
9.4, 4.7
9.2, 4.6
9.1, 4.55
9.2, 4.6
9.5, 4.75
9.1, 4.55
9.2, 4.6
9.6, 4.8

Standard Dev

Average

I have found any of the spherical powders work best with the Lee disks. I have been meaning to pick up one of the adjustable ones just to try to get a more precise charge. Not that it should matter as most of my shooting is just target plinking and I don't have a chrony. I usually try to find the load that will cycle and provide the best accuracy with the least amount of powder.

Bigger problem is.. What do I do with the 8lb keg of Unique I have ??? Does Dillon have issues with Unique through their powder measure system? (please say no so I can buy one).

I've always had decent result with Unique in the pro auto disk for 9mm. I do have some deviation but nothing major for what I load. If you ever want to get rid of the unique I would willing to take it off your hands.

Unique is notorious for not metering well. I have similar variances as darrowj described loading 45ACP in my Dillon 650. Not a problem for my purposes, but drives my brother-in-law crazy.

Unique is notorious for not metering well. I have similar variances as darrowj described loading 45ACP in my Dillon 650. Not a problem for my purposes, but drives my brother-in-law crazy.
I can't get Unique to meter at all - and at lower loads like 45 and 9mm I've found it to be as much as a 20% variance from one drop to the next. It's nice because a pound of Unique will last pretty much forever when you're loading 9mm with it, but I had such problems metering it I decided to simply use the Lee powder scoops and weigh each charge, so it's slow. Really slow.

Loading 9MM with Unique I use the .57 well on the Lee disk to get to .49 consistently. I sampled every 10th load for the first 50 then 2 or 3 more for the next 50 and it was consistent for the run. All 100 rounds ran well.

Back
Top Bottom