pro 2A meme megathread

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I can't name the last time Switzerland was at war. Probably just before they decided that one of those should be in every closet and everyone should know how to use it.
Are we counting civil wars? Sonderbundskrieg in 1847.
If not, the 100 Days War (1815) - Napoleon’s return from Elba, which culminated in the battle of Waterloo and some Brit named Wellesley clobbering him.

(Swiss neutrality was guaranteed as a result of the council of Vienna after the defeat of Napoleon - like many European wars, the politicians ended up having a nice little party where they all hung out together and divvied up the spoils. Which typically set up the NEXT war.)

What you think of as Switzerland was the result of the Sonderbundskrieg. Before that, the Swiss Confederation was more like a loose (and shifting!) alliance of independent states. Not dissimilar to America under the articles of confederation. The Sonderbund was an alliance of Catholic cantons that wasn’t too keen on centralizing power. They lost. Now Switzerland is a federal state.

And the Swiss were the top mercenaries in Europe for about 300 years before that which is why the emphasis on militia training. It’s also an outcome of a rural agricultural society with not enough room for new farms for each farm kid; younger sons found a path through mercenary service. There’s a reason and history for those guys in the silly-ass costumes in Vatican City...

R

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
And they have a formidable wall that they named The Alps.
Except that one mainly keeps the Italians out (didn’t help so much with the Roman legions though). The Jura forms the main defensive line against France (and formerly Burgundy, when it was independent). The Rhine and Lake Constance are the principal defense against the Germans. And there are gaps. The land from Romanshorn in the east to Geneva in the west, north of the Berner Oberland, is pretty flat and accessible. Particularly to mechanized forces.

During WWI the strategy was mobilize and man the borders to deter either the French or the Germans from sliding through to attack the other. For WWII the strategy was “porcupine;” put the majority of the fittest troops into fortress alps and threaten to make the Wehrmacht life so damned miserable that the generals would keep the lunatic from turning on Switzerland before the allies got their sh*t together and beat him.

R

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tip #6 is legit, however, tip #69 seems suspect as I can’t chamber a 300 black round into a 223/5.56 chamber...although I’m not trying under sustained fire, I’ll let you though. I have doubts the hammer could physically contact the pin that far out of battery.

Top Bottom