pro 2A meme megathread

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Years ago, before I knew any better I wrote a college essay in CJ class about how unsafe glocks are because of the trigger safety and the chance of accidental discharges.

I know better now, I'm sorry for my stupidity.
Things I did in college involving guns:

*Wrote a paper on RI's concealed carry laws and how chiefs pervert "shall issue"
*Defined Hoplophobia and the dangers it presents to society
*Went on a tour of Cole's Gunsmithing and analyzed the gunsmithing process
*Started a shooting club

At least you've outgrown it. Now post pictures of all the Glocks you own [laugh]

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago, before I knew any better I wrote a college essay in CJ class about how unsafe glocks are because of the trigger safety and the chance of accidental discharges.

If you wrote it in the '80-'90s when American police departments started switching from revolvers to Glocks, you had plenty of evidence.

It was evidence of poor training instead of a design flaw, but there were tons of NDs.

And when you think about it, disengaging the safety by pulling the trigger is a pretty stupid design, and pointless once we have taught people to keep their fingers off the trigger.

The trigger safety is valid for drop-safe reasons, but nothing more.

*Shot them. A lot.
*Kept them in the dorm. (Not a crime back then, and they can't kick me out 35 years after handing me my diploma.)
*Denied All Knowledge of the Great Crow Massacre of 1982. (Paine Hall (my dorm) and Turner Hall next door both faced the university's cow pasture, and crows loved to sit on the power lines waiting for a meal. Any school with a cow pasture obviously has a significant percentage of rednecks, and rednecks plus .22 rifles plus boredom and opportunity... well. You know. There may have been beer involved.)

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you wrote it in the '80-'90s when American police departments started switching from revolvers to Glocks, you had plenty of evidence.

It was evidence of poor training instead of a design flaw, but there were tons of NDs.

And when you think about it, disengaging the safety by pulling the trigger is a pretty stupid design, and pointless once we have taught people to keep their fingers off the trigger.

The trigger safety is valid for drop-safe reasons, but nothing more.
Here's the thing I'm confused on because I've never been a cop - many departments were switching from DA/SA revolvers like the Colt Trooper to the Glock. A typical American revolver, not an 1880s Dutch police revolver, has no external safety mechanism. Being the 20th Century, cops weren't keeping the hammer down on an empty chamber. So cops always had a hot revolver on them. To unload and show clear on a revolver, you swing out the cylinder and look into the cylinder. Compare that to a Glock - no external safety beyond the trigger safety, gun's usually hot unless you do Israeli carry, unload and show clear by racking the slide. Pretty similar manual of arms except for the cylinder versus slide for unload, show clear.

Looks like DA trigger pull on a Colt Trooper was around 14lbs, so was it cops sticking their finger in the trigger guard thinking the trigger would be too heavy to "go off" with their fingers in there?

42!

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Here's the thing I'm confused on because I've never been a cop - many departments were switching from DA/SA revolvers like the Colt Trooper to the Glock. A typical American revolver, not an 1880s Dutch police revolver, has no external safety mechanism. Being the 20th Century, cops weren't keeping the hammer down on an empty chamber. So cops always had a hot revolver on them. To unload and show clear on a revolver, you swing out the cylinder and look into the cylinder. Compare that to a Glock - no external safety beyond the trigger safety, gun's usually hot unless you do Israeli carry, unload and show clear by racking the slide. Pretty similar manual of arms except for the cylinder versus slide for unload, show clear.

Looks like DA trigger pull on a Colt Trooper was around 14lbs, so was it cops sticking their finger in the trigger guard thinking the trigger would be too heavy to "go off" with their fingers in there?
You're close. Its not just a finger pressing the trigger, it is also equipment and clothing, still the primary reason for an ND today. Simply put, a striker fired pistol has a significantly lighter trigger pull than either a DA pistol or a DA revolver. Add to that the only safety is on the trigger so it will get depressed by anything pressing on the trigger, and you have a system that requires more care in operation.

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I am gtg with my glock, and negligent discharges are so irresponsible. I can't even fathom the ignorance of a glock owner not clearing before taking down to clean. I can do this blindfolded. It's not trigger safety, it's user safety.

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't name the last time Switzerland was at war. Probably just before they decided that one of those should be in every closet and everyone should know how to use it.
1848 was their last war, which was a civil war where the Swiss Federation took on its current form. Last external wars were the Napoleonic Wars.

Top Bottom