Private transfer of rifle in NH

So I'm looking at selling a rifle to another NH resident. I was told by a dealer that I am required to perform the transfer at a dealer because rifles are registered firearms. I've searched on this site and read through the RSA. I don't see anything that states outright that I need to go through a dealer to have the NICS check run.....could someone chime in and help me? I really hope that this hasn't already been discussed and I'm just an idiot that can't use the search function correctly.

WOW! Must have been a MA dealer in a past life. Full of BS!

I'd go with a bill of sale, cash and see some sort of ID (not required nor is BOS but that is just me).

NH laws allow long guns to be transferred between NH residents with a shake of the hand.

That's what I thought.....I always request a bill of sale and include a picture of both parties id so I'll just keep on with what I've been doing. Thanks!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

sounds to me like the dealer wanted to make a few easy dollars or you asked the "guy behind the counter" that got hired a month ago

Not true. HOWEVER if the transfer takes place at the dealers premise because of a doubt the seller may have the ATF "suggests" or "recommends" that the FFL conducts the background check.
https://www.atf.gov/file/58681/download

THIS one is more through as to the above -
https://www.atf.gov/file/4961/download

Stay safe,
Brian

So I'm looking at selling a rifle to another NH resident. I was told by a dealer that I am required to perform the transfer at a dealer because rifles are registered firearms. I've searched on this site and read through the RSA. I don't see anything that states outright that I need to go through a dealer to have the NICS check run.....could someone chime in and help me? I really hope that this hasn't already been discussed and I'm just an idiot that can't use the search function correctly.

Dealer is retarded.

It is unlawful to transfer a firearm to a PP.

Section 159:7

159:7 Sales to Felons. – No person shall sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer a pistol, revolver or any other firearm, to a person who has been convicted, in any jurisdiction, of a felony. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a class B felony.

But...

Section 159:14

159:14 Exemption. – None of the provisions of this chapter shall prohibit an individual not licensed under the provisions thereof who is not engaged in the business of selling pistols or revolvers from selling a pistol or revolver to a person licensed under this chapter or to a person personally known to him.

Once someone introduces themselves to you, it is difficult to argue that they are not "personally known" to you, especially if you see ID.

It is unlawful to transfer a firearm to a PP.

Section 159:7

159:7 Sales to Felons. – No person shall sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer a pistol, revolver or any other firearm, to a person who has been convicted, in any jurisdiction, of a felony. Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a class B felony.

But...

Section 159:14

159:14 Exemption. – None of the provisions of this chapter shall prohibit an individual not licensed under the provisions thereof who is not engaged in the business of selling pistols or revolvers from selling a pistol or revolver to a person licensed under this chapter or to a person personally known to him.

Once someone introduces themselves to you, it is difficult to argue that they are not "personally known" to you, especially if you see ID.

Since the "personally known" statues applies to handguns sales, and the OP asked specifically about a long gun sale, this applies to his question...how?

Federal law for private sales prohibits transferring a firearm to anyone known or reasonably believed to be prohibited from possessing a firearm, different than the wording in NH RSA 159:7.
Since the "personally known" statues applies to handguns sales, and the OP asked specifically about a long gun sale, this applies to his question...how?
There's a theory going around that the Exemption in 159:14 only applies to selling a pistol or revolver, so the private sale of any other firearm puts you at risk of state prosecution under RSA 159:7.

Not saying the theory is accurate, but I can see how FFLs might want to encourage belief in it.

Last edited:
Federal law for private sales prohibits transferring a firearm to anyone known or reasonably believed to be prohibited from possessing a firearm, different than the wording in NH RSA 159:7.

There's a theory going around that the Exemption in 159:14 only applies to selling a pistol or revolver, so the private sale of any other firearm puts you at risk of state prosecution under RSA 159:7.

Not saying the theory is accurate, but I can see how FFLs might want to encourage belief in it.

The exemption might be for pistols/revolvers, but there's no restrictions on selling a long gun (not knowingly done to a PP), so the need for an exemption is moot, no?

The exemption might be for pistols/revolvers, but there's no restrictions on selling a long gun (not knowingly done to a PP), so the need for an exemption is moot, no?

Easy to assume the phrasing of 159:14 only provides an exemption for handguns, and the restriction in 159:7 includes long guns and does not specify "knowingly" (unlike Federal law).

I'm not saying this is a correct interpretation of the statute, but I'd be more comfortable if "knowingly" was part of the RSA.

Last edited:
I can sell a complete lower to someone 20yrs old, correct? FTF no FFL transfer. Buyer has NH license and PRL

Back
Top Bottom