• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Private sales of old handguns not on list

I recently inherited 3 old handguns. I brought them to two different gun shops and was told they couldn't buy them from me because they aren't on the Mass. list. They both told me I could sell them in a private sale. If I did would I be breaking any laws? Would the buyer? The guns are a .22 cal revolver, a .32 auto, and a .380 auto. All 3 guns MIGHT be over 30 years old. Can anybody tell me if I can sell these guns legally?

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies. If I post more info about the guns would anyone be able to give me estimated values?

You can sell them in a face to face sale. Could you PM me about the .380?

You can sell FTF

Only if he has a LTC himself. Do you carmy??? If not, then no you can not sell them F2F. I assume you do though since the FFLs let you walk out of the store.

if the guns are 30 years old, wouldnt they not fall within the constraints of the list?

Because they still need to be "proved" to have been in the state prior, well technically on, such and such date (oct 18th???) in 1998.

Only if he has a LTC himself. Do you carmy??? If not, then no you can not sell them F2F. I assume you do though since the FFLs let you walk out of the store.

Because they still need to be "proved" to have been in the state prior, well technically on, such and such date (oct 18th???) in 1998.

so, what does that mean in terms of importing a gen 2 glock? It had to be here before that date in order to be allowed here? so confused (yet again)

I thought they just needed to be manufactured prior to 10/21/98?

Edit: For some reason I was referring to Glocks, although this wasn't clear.

Last edited:
so, what does that mean in terms of importing a gen 2 glock? It had to be here before that date in order to be allowed here? so confused (yet again)
Glocks are on the "list", the three guns he has are not. So he would have to prove that they were owned/registered in the state prior to the cut-off date.

I thought they just needed to be manufactured prior to 10/21/98?

For an FFL to sell a handgun...

Only if they're on the EOPS roster.

If they're not on the roster, and were manufactured prior to 10/21/98, they need to have been registered in MA prior to that date.

wouldnt he need a ltc to legally posses the firearms in question? therefore, ftf = no problem

Thanks for more replies

To pj150 - the .22 cal revolver is a Ruger New Model Single-Six with two cylinders so you can shoot 22short, 22lr, and 22magnum. Gun looks like new. Gun has a wood grip which I don't see Ruger offering now. If you are interested e-mail me at d_carmichael2001 at yahoo.com.

I do have a Mass. LTC-A no restrictions for those who mentioned it.

restrictions

I wonder how many dont bother with any of it.and dont flame me.it is best I know to follow the law.if that is a law.I am not in Mass so I dont have to kow tow to idiots in the Mass gov.1,500,000 licensed gun owners are off the books. that is a fact.must have been a big sale.[rolleyes]

I wonder how many dont bother with any of it.and dont flame me.it is best I know to follow the law.if that is a law.I am not in Mass so I dont have to kow tow to idiots in the Mass gov.1,500,000 licensed gun owners are off the books. that is a fact.must have been a big sale.[rolleyes]

one more time, english please?[thinking]

Back
Top Bottom