• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Private Sale

These Mass laws are really intriguing.

I have a LTC – A /ALP. And as I understand it, in-state private sales are not subject to the approved firearms roster list.

So, lets suppose someone currently residing in another state moves to Massachusetts. With him/her he brings a legally owned Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm with hi cap 17 round mags. That person then obtains a Mass LTC-A and as I understand it they are in compliance with the law.

I could then buy as a private transfer, own, and carry this handgun (not on the approved list) with the high cap mags (also a no no, because they are post ban) and be in compliance with the law?

Adding a slight twist to the above scenario. Let’s suppose a Mass resident also has a 2nd home in Maine where he spends a lot of time. And assume in Maine he has a gun license and has legally procured the PX4 Storm.

Can he then:
1. Legally bring that gun into Mass? Assuming he has also a Mass LTC- A
2. Legally sell it to me?

The PX4 Storm is only used as an example- fill in the blank with any non-conforming gun and hi-cap mag not otherwise banned. And BTW this is a real case scenario of a friend who would gladly get a gun for me in Maine and then transfer it to me in Mass as long as it were legally done.

Seems like a very easy way to obtain a non approved pistol.

I could then buy as a private transfer, own, and carry this handgun (not on the approved list) with the high cap mags (also a no no, because they are post ban) and be in compliance with the law?

As I understand the laws you are correct regarding the non-approved firearm but not the post ban magazines. The magazines are forbidden. Period.

I am going to post my responses intermingled in Red.

szaino said:
These Mass laws are really intriguing.

I have a LTC – A /ALP. And as I understand it, in-state private sales are not subject to the approved firearms roster list.

Correct.

So, lets suppose someone currently residing in another state moves to Massachusetts. With him/her he brings a legally owned Beretta PX4 Storm 9mm with hi cap 17 round mags. That person then obtains a Mass LTC-A and as I understand it they are in compliance with the law.

If that person brings ANY post-ban/no-ban hi-cap mags into MA, that person is a Felon, instantly! This includes those that come here to compete in a match, take training, etc. I confirmed as factual with Chief Ron Glidden last year.

Gun yes, mags make you an instant Felon!

Adding a slight twist to the above scenario. Let’s suppose a Mass resident also has a 2nd home in Maine where he spends a lot of time. And assume in Maine he has a gun license and has legally procured the PX4 Storm.

Can he then:
1. Legally bring that gun into Mass? Assuming he has also a Mass LTC- A
2. Legally sell it to me?

"Having a 2nd home" does NOT in itself give someone the legal right to buy a handgun there. One must be "living there for an extended period" according to Fed Law . . . it's not defined by the feds, but a simple 2 week vacation does NOT qualify. Yes he could bring the gun here, but would have to register it on an FA-10. Yes he could sell it privately if he is currently "living here" as I noted above. Mags are illegal in MA under any circumstance as you stated above and I responded.

The PX4 Storm is only used as an example- fill in the blank with any non-conforming gun and hi-cap mag not otherwise banned. And BTW this is a real case scenario of a friend who would gladly get a gun for me in Maine and then transfer it to me in Mass as long as it were legally done.

Post/no-ban hi-cap mags are always "banned" and mere possession is a Felony!

Seems like a very easy way to obtain a non approved pistol.

Thanks for your input. I'm going to read that other thread in more detail later.

I wasn't sure about the mags. I kind of thought that if you brought in a post ban pistol (legally) that the mags would also be ok.

If I keep shooting and get a little morre serious I can definately see myself looking at a different pistol. I haven't looked into Maine's gun laws, I just have heard that they are a very user friendly state. I assume this means that just about any pistol would probably be available and this opens up all the post ban models that for the most part aren't available in Mass.

Back
Top Bottom