• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Private sale without FTF transaction

I am buying a gun from someone else who lives in the other side of MA. They are going to ship it to a dealer near me who is a FFL. We're both clueless and want to keep this legal, so I have a couple of questions.

How should this person do the paperwork? Does he fill out an FA10 and send it with the gun to my FFL?

Can he send it privately to an FFL or does it have to go FFL to FFL?

He is also somewhat paranoid and needs to verify that he is sending it to an FFL. Although my FFL is going to send him a signed copy, he has never seen an FFL and is curious on how he can ensure that he is indeed sending the gun to an FFL.

If anyone has anything that can help, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
It's just a plain FFL transaction. No FA-10 needed on his end.

To validate the FFL, he can use FFL ezCheck.

As for salve, I assume you mean salvation. Depends on your religion [wink]

Thanks for the help so far.

After I do the transfer with my FFL, do I then send him anything? Or does he get any copy of the transfer to hang on to for his records?

He can ask for a receipt from the FFL, but they'd have to mail it to him. I would write out a bill of sale and provide him with a copy if he so wishes.

After I do the transfer with my FFL, do I then send him anything? Or does he get any copy of the transfer to hang on to for his records?

When I've shipped guns to FFLs for transfer, I've just keep a copy of the delivery confirmation along with the FFL's cert. That's all you really need as the seller. If anybody ever comes asking about the gun, the seller can just point to the FFL. The FFL will have the records incoming from the seller and outgoing to you in their bound book.

Back
Top Bottom