Private sale/shipping

Just want to run something by the collective here. So I have a rifle for sale and a guy in Mass is interested. He's insistent on it being shipped from an FFL in CT to an FFL in Mass. Coming from another state for a firearm is a no go legally for a FTF. Now, I know I can ship a rifle USPS as long as it goes to an FFL, and then he picks it up, does the paperwork and that's it, done deal. I'm trying to save the guy a few bucks by just shipping to his FFL but he says his shop states it has to come from an FFL? Is this the norm in Mass? I've shipped dozens of rifles and shotguns through the postal service to FFLs for other sales and never had a problem.

Certain FFL's won't take a shipment from non-FFL's. Not sure if it's the norm in MA or not.

In figured it was some sort of shop policy. I have a few buddies who have FFLs, and I asked them how much to ship it and they said "sure I'll take your money but why don't you just ship it?"

I could just do the transfer an one of the aforementioned FFLs but with CTs ghey eligibility criteria, you have to be a resident of CT and have a long arm eligibility certificate to purchase a rifle in this state, hence shipping it to an FFL in Mass.

Your buyer and/or his FFL sound like idiots, almost like theyre from massachusetts or something.

He's a jerk, don't be concerned about saving him a few bucks.

No wonder a fool and his money are soon parted.

I'd hate to think anyones a jerk, especially since I don't know him, figured he's just overly cautious. Who knows his experience, maybe he's that guy who just believes what the guy at the gun shop told him.

Of the few items I've sold online, my experience has been that the receiving FFL (outside of mass) usually requires/strongly prefers FFL-to-FFL. I don't think it is a mass thing.

Some FFLs will take out of state transfers from individuals - some require it from an FFL. Go figure.

Since an FFL must put down info on the current owner in his BB, some feel antsy about getting a DL (without seeing the person in the flesh) with a gun . . . what if it really wasn't the person on the DL? BATFE has no sense of humor for such issues. So some dealers insist it come from another FFL for all such transactions.

There may also be some "business protectionism" going on, ensuring that 2 FFLs make money on every deal.

That's why the buyer MUST make sure that his incoming dealer is willing to accept the gun from some random person directly or not PRIOR to bidding/saying "I'll take it" and make arrangements accordingly. When it comes to handguns, it is almost always going to be cheaper to go FFL to FFL due to only dealers/mfrs being allowed to ship USPO Priority Mail vs. the rape charge for UPS/FedEx air!

If it's a rifle why can't you just meet and do a transfer at shop somewhere in a CT that's reasonable as a meetup point? You can't transfer handguns out of state, but this is a rifle and I know you can do that. He is only required to file an FA-10 when he gets back.

terminator, that's a no-go. A non licensee (non FFL) can do so to another member of his state but cannot sell to a resident of another state. Additionally, due to CTs latest round of infringement, in order to buy a rifle here you need an eligibility certificate. If it was that easy I'd just head over to my FFL buddies place and transfer it for 10 bucks, but he can't. I understand a little bit now with Lens's explanation but still, what a huge PITA. I've dealt numerous times sending a rifle to an FFL out of state. I was provided a signed copy of their FFL and that's where I sent it, never had a problem.

I purchased a gun from a friend in NH and he went to a dealer there. Basically the dealer told him to go with me to the MA FFL and transfer it. He would have shipped it but told my friend there was not need and to save his money.
We went to the MA ffl and there was no issue.

I think if you need to post a thread about a situation like this, you should tell the buyer to go pound sand and you'll find someone else to sell it to.

Back
Top Bottom