private sale question

Try out Glocks at MFS in Holliston. You absolutely can get a nice G19 (gen 2) for low $400's. Worth the wait. Be patient.

Last edited:
as others have said don't impulse buy. be sure of what you want and the reason for the gun. If its for carry think about size, weight, holster, and belt. As someone mentioned four season has the advertised for 299 might be additional % off for cash.

Hi ya'll, So, im gonna make my first purchase on a used pistol, and had a question. Forgive my ignorance but here goes. Once I buy the gun, is there any law that protects me if the gun is a "lemon" per say? Its a ftf transaction at a dunkins (free wifi[grin]) being that were at a public place I obviously cant pop off to test the gun. Thanx in advance.

If you believe this is an issue even worthy of consideration, you shouldn't be dealing with that person, or for that matter, buying anything on a private sale.

-Mike

I have bought and sold several firearms on armslist. While every final transaction has worked out, there are inexplicably strange to surreal things that happen with those that just don't happen with NES folks.

For instance, in a recent sale I made to someone from armslist, I arrived at the house he said to meet him at to find two gentlemen standing on either side of the driveway with pump shotguns in their hands. The sale eventually went off without a hitch but it was surreal.

I've never worried about bringing my son with me to a deal with an NES member, but I won't bring him if it's from armslist.

For instance, in a recent sale I made to someone from armslist, I arrived at the house he said to meet him at to find two gentlemen standing on either side of the driveway with pump shotguns in their hands. The sale eventually went off without a hitch but it was surreal.
LOL

Did you have to hand over the blindfolded girl first, or did they slide the briefcase to you first?

LOL

Did you have to hand over the blindfolded girl first, or did they slide the briefcase to you first?

I'm telling you, it was surreal. Turns out they were getting ready to go to the range and I drove in just as they were bringing their stuff to the car. So I put the pin back in the grenade and let them off easy.

I've bought a couple guns off arms list with no hitches. I'm also relatively new to the game, OP. If you are going to buy a used gun, get on YouTube and learn how to field strip it and see if you can find a list of issues to look for and where wear occurs. Like others have said, guns are pretty straightforward. With a modern gun you should be able to have a very good idea of its condition in five minutes of stripping and inspection. The last thing we want is more oversight of private sales it is more than bad enough already

im fairly new to the world of guns...

When I was new to guns I didn't feel comfortable buying used guns because I felt I didn't know what to look for to know if the gun was in good working order and the transaction was legit. So I went with new at Four Seasons. After I learned a lot (and it will happen quickly) I felt much more comfortable wheeling and dealing.

As others have said, If you're really interested in getting a Glock, there are a lot of used Gen2 ones on the market that can be had for cheap. You can have them shipped in from out of state to a Massachusetts based FFL who will then transfer it to you.

Since you are asking here, presumably you do not have a friend that knows guns and can go with you to check it out. If you want to try to proceed with your transaction, here are some suggestions in no particular order of preference:

1) post your location and time of transaction and see if someone from NES will help you inspect the gun

2) do the transfer at an FFL gun store for around $25 and see if the FFL will also help you check out the gun (not normally a part of the FFL's job in a transfer, but it doesn't take much more time and builds customer relationship)

3) if you belong to a range, meet at the range to test fire the gun. If the seller is any kind of gun person, he/she will be more than happy to show you the operation/stripping/firing of the gun at the range.

4) learn how to check it out yourself. Look for an owner's manual online. The SD9 strips very easily. Eject the mag, cycle the slide a couple times to make sure the chamber is empty, look into the chamber to confirm empty, point gun in safe direction, fully pull trigger, pull back and hold the slide about 1/4" (there is a way to accomplish this easily with one hand by gripping the gun with your left hand fingers over the back of the slide's and your thumb at the back of the top part of the gun's grip) while you slide down the small ridged takedown release buttons on both sides of the gun at the same time, then push the slide forward and off the frame. Once the slide is off the frame, you can take out the barrel and check the bore for wear, etc.

Last edited:
For $50 bucks you can eliminate all chances of douchebaggery and get a new gun? That there is worth the price of admission. Oh, and for what it's worth, when I went to go buy an SD9 I made the mistake of comparing it in my hand to the M&P9...and walked out with the M&P.

If you choose that route, a Glock gen 2 for a good price and you think it looks tired....send it off to Glock and they inspect it and replace any worn or damaged parts, no questions, free. Any extras you pay for, night sights, refinishing, etc. People don't take advantage of that little warranty service. But it will tie the gun up for a few weeks. They say 6-8 but they usually come in under, maybe 3-4 weeks.

I'm telling you, it was surreal. Turns out they were getting ready to go to the range and I drove in just as they were bringing their stuff to the car. So I put the pin back in the grenade and let them off easy.

Jack Bauer would have seen that coming.

Nothing wrong with a S&W SD9ve. Yea people say just spend 50 more, then 50 on top of that then well we know that can go on and on. Guy wants the SD9ve just let him buy it, its a good gun and will not have any issues , I had one 3 years ago and paid 299.99 for it new and only put 600 rds through it. I traded it for SR22 for my wife (now she has taken over my Shield) . Good gun , just buy it and start shooting it a lot, if you want something else after then its easy as pie to just find another. I have bought many that I "thought" I wanted then 2 weeks later sell/trade it. Believe me it wont be your last

Armslist bad, lots of scammers on it. Gunbroker is ok, even made a FTF with a NES'r i ran into on GB once. NES Classifieds are so much easier.

I have bought several used guns. Most sellers are selling because they just don't like the gun or are trying to sell to fund another project. I don't know anyone who has purchased a gun that someone was selling that had hidden issues. Most of the Gun manufacturers are more than willing to repair their guns at no charge so defects are not usually an issue.
personally i would not buy a used gun for $50 less than I could buy a new one unless it is something hard to find or comes with extras but that is just me

I have bought several used guns. Most sellers are selling because they just don't like the gun or are trying to sell to fund another project. I don't know anyone who has purchased a gun that someone was selling that had hidden issues. Most of the Gun manufacturers are more than willing to repair their guns at no charge so defects are not usually an issue.
personally i would not buy a used gun for $50 less than I could buy a new one unless it is something hard to find or comes with extras but that is just me

Exactly, it's a box (or three) of ammo, out of the thousands of rounds you hope to put through it.

As an avid fan of Glock they are in my opinion the one to own... However, there is a reason that Smith pays Glock a license fee for each SD9VE, it is a full on copy of a Glock. Similarly they rarely, if ever, go wrong.

If you like the SD9VE don't hesitate buying it. It has a lifetime warranty, anything goes wrong at the range send it to Smith and they will fix it free. Like others have said, new isn't much more expensive. I'd hit him with an offer of $225 since new ones are running less than his starting asking price.

It is on the larger side for CCW. But doable.

Back
Top Bottom