• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

private sale question

Hi ya'll, So, im gonna make my first purchase on a used pistol, and had a question. Forgive my ignorance but here goes. Once I buy the gun, is there any law that protects me if the gun is a "lemon" per say? Its a ftf transaction at a dunkins (free wifi[grin]) being that were at a public place I obviously cant pop off to test the gun. Thanx in advance.

So im pretty much taking a gamble? That blows

So you want the state to be more involved in your firearm purchase?

It's the same for anything else you buy from a complete stranger. It doesn't blow. Go buy from a gd store if you're so worried.

So im pretty much taking a gamble? That blows

its not a gamble if u learn how to inspect a gun.

quick field strip and trigger test is usually suficient. if its a striker gun make sure the pin and striker assembly are in place.

honestly i wouldnt worry too much. if someone has a good feedback score they arent gonna screw you. and if any gun has an issue stick with the manufacturer and they will almost always help you out.

honestly i have bought guns that were clearly in need of repair and so what. good example is a glock. assuming the frame, barrel and slide are OK every other little part can be replaced for cheap.

honestly armslist kinda sucks...in free states more normal but in MA only reason to avoid NES is if someone is a sketchball or moonbat, in which case I would prefer to avoid them too.

i made one purchase on armslist. dude was total idiot, even by my standards which are quite low.

i stick w NES personally.

Post was on armslist and the guy was unregistered, so had no feedback

Don't impulse buy. Something better is bound to come along. Murphy's law says if you buy that gun, another one will be listed 1 week later on this site much cheaper than what you paid for the Armslist one and by someone with a positive reputation.

If you are a firearm newbie, why don't you call around to various gunshops and see what they will charge for an inspection of a firearm before the transfer.

That being said, firearms are generally dead nuts simple with pretty loose tolerances and visual condition says a lot. You say a pistol which to me means semi-automatic. MAKE SURE THE FIREARM IS CLEAR! Then cycle the firearm, pull the trigger, make sure the safeties work, check for excess slop.

Chris

Well it is a SW so they will back your gun, so I wouldn't worry about the warranty part. However I would keep saving and look to get into the $400 range, but that is a personal preference

Last edited:
Sd9ve asking $300, but can buy new for about that, willing to sell for $250

Go to four seasons you can get a new one for $289 cash. I have one , it was my first gun and its good for cheap $, I have never had an issue with it.

And it has pre bans

Last edited:
OP save up a little more money and buy something a glock...you won't regret it.

I would do this. Save up for a Glock 26 or 19. If you stay on top of the classifieds here, you'll find one for $500-$600. You'll never lose your money on a Glock.

My first handgun was a Ruger MKIII. That's a good beginner gun for target practice, but not for CCW. Guns are like Lay's potato chips...Betcha can't buy just one. So you'll end up buying a few.

Thats what I originally wanted, g 19 but glocks in mass are so overpriced its ridiculous.
Nothing wrong with the SD its not a sigma from 20 years ago. If you want for another $60 you can do apex springs(only $20) and glock style trigger and you GTG.

I have almost 2k thru mine and would trust it anyday

Last edited:
Well it is a SW so they will back your gun, so I wouldn't worry about the warranty part. However I would keep saving and look to get into the $400 range, but that is a personal preference

This. The cheapest part of owning a gun is actually purchasing it. The ammo cost adds up super quick if you shoot regularly. Make sure you know what you want and that you will actually like the gun. If you have to save up a little while...do it. Do a bunch of research. then go to a shop and try out the fit. Then finally go to a range and rent your top contenders.

Back
Top Bottom