• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

private sale of ammo in MA?

Lord knows that I am one who has always tried my best to follow the letter of the law in this silly state even when it didn't make any sense... and that doesn't just apply to firearms and ammo. But I used to get laughed at a lot for being "paranoid" and for not applying "common sense" to the most absurd such cases... even by police officers I sought out for clarification on how to comply with outright contradictory or merely ambiguous or poorly written laws.

I think that sometimes you've got to step back and honestly ask yourself: Has anyone anywhere in the PRM ever been arrested, convicted or even remotely hassled by a cop on a particular (select one!) fine point of these stupid laws. If the answer turns out to be "Hell, no", it might just be a fact that no one really cares and that one's paranoia on the point in question is all for nothing.

CLMN

Perhaps not, but I'm sure that there are a few LEOs and DAs out there who would pursue those charges. Considering the grief that one guy here on NES received from his local PD after selling some pre-ban magazines, I don't put anything past them.

Short story, the law as written prohibits sales of ammo by anyone who does not hold the proper license for selling ammo.

What do you mean, "as a kid"?

Drag%20Queen.jpg

(Sorry for crapping up your thread, BillB, it's Len's fault [wink])

There's no need to bring Blitz into this.

To try to get some current clarity. The old law says trade or give away to a properly licensed person. The new law says a license is needed for SALES, and does not otherwise revoke the previous section. So is it legal to give away unwanted ammunition to an LTC holder in Massachusetts? I'm about to inherit a small quantify (150) of old 8MM (1960's Interarms) Mauser ammo and am wondering if I should forgo doing so. Its currently in PA now, can I give them away in MA or NH, or do I need to disassemble the cartridges in order to sell the components instead legally in MA, or should I just leave them in PA?

So forgive me, I AM "the new guy". I just got my MA LTC and am still learning so I ask for advice when things aren't clear rather than breaking the forum rules and the law blatantly (in that order [smile]). So no, I don't yet know how to trade or 'give' stuff away.
I get the don't ask don't tell part for lots of things for many reasons. But I didn't want to post anything troublesome in the WTS/WTT section (or break the law) and other than doing that, unless I meet someone who wants 8MM ammo, there's no way to find a new owner.

So forgive me, I AM "the new guy". I just got my MA LTC and am still learning so I ask for advice when things aren't clear rather than breaking the forum rules and the law blatantly (in that order [smile]). So no, I don't yet know how to trade or 'give' stuff away.
I get the don't ask don't tell part for lots of things for many reasons. But I didn't want to post anything troublesome in the WTS/WTT section (or break the law) and other than doing that, unless I meet someone who wants 8MM ammo, there's no way to find a new owner.

Posting in the WTS section would be a great idea. Go for it! It won't break the law.

If you get good vibes from the buyer, sell to him (or her, even!). If you're nervous, ask them to send you a pic of their LTC first. Nobody will be offended by that. You're certainly within your rights to look at the LTC at some point before selling, but that's really as far as your obligation goes if you're selling ammo.

So meet, swap the ammo for some greenbacks, and go get a Dunkie's. Rinse and repeat.

Your question is reasonable given the answer is completely subjective. One cop will wonder why this is an issue, another might arrest you for selling ammo without a license.

If you're just thinning the herd, sell the stuff. You're overthinking it.

If you're buying stuff and turning it around to sell for a profit, you're running a business and they'll eventually pinch you.

Who in their right mind sells their ammo? That is some crazy talk right there.
Well, what I am gonna do with 147 rounds of this, when all I inherited was the ammo, not a rifle? [frown]
They vary from good condition to a little tarnished to very tarnished, but I've been told they'll tumble our nice. I'd much rather have some 9mm, .223 or even a lot of 22LR, which I can shoot.
So I'll see about cleaning them up and posting on WTT

box8mm.jpg Heads8mm.jpg Tarnish8mm.jpg 20230924_163812.jpg

Last edited:
Well, what I am gonna do with 147 rounds of this, when all I inherited was the ammo, not a rifle? [frown]
They vary from good condition to a little tarnished to very tarnished, but I've been told they'll tumble our nice. I'd much rather have some 9mm, .223 or even a lot of 22LR, which I can shoot.

View attachment 799095View attachment 799096View attachment 799097View attachment 799110
I don't know, looks like a good excuse to buy another gun 😁

Danger Will Robinson. Tumbling loaded ammo can break the powder into finer granules and change the burning characteristics. I would expect extruded powers to be particularly susceptible to this.

View attachment 799095View attachment 799096View attachment 799097View attachment 799110

Don't clean them up. Just post them in the WTT or put up a sign at your local gun shop. Cleaning them up while not intentional is somewhat deceiving. Leave them in the condition they are - unless you're the one going to shoot them.

If you read on a few sentences further, section 122B says that an application for such a license shall state the "location where the business is to be conducted." This renders the statute ambiguous: applies only to business sales or also to include casual sales? A court is likely to side with the former, and, in a criminal case, the "rule of leniency" requires it to do so.

Welcome to the party, pal.

The rubbing means were getting along and we like you.

Im sure someone will come along and buy your 8mm after beating you up on the price.

No need to tumble. Those will work fine. Buy an 8mm mauser or an mg42.

Back
Top Bottom