• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Private sale in MA?

Hello everyone

So long story short I am meeting up with a private seller soon to discuss buying my dream gun off of him (M1 Garand) He's not a licensed FireArms dealer. He's a private seller in the same state.

From what i've been looking up regarding MA gun law. The seller has to submit the details of the transaction or transfer and submit it to the Department of Criminal Justice Information. Including my LTC information, address, serial numbers ect...

It does not say anything from what I can see about what I need to do on my end. I'm assuming it's up to him to fulfill that information. I just wanted to double check to make sure their isn't something on my end I needed to do. Registration of the gun is unecessary after the seller fills the transfer right?

Thanks for any help.

You have it essentially correct. It is the seller's responsibility to file the EFA-10. You would be well advised to execute a Bill of Sale as well. There are times when nothing else will suffice for proof of ownership.

After the seller submits the eFA10, you can download a pdf copy of the form. You could should get a copy of that for your records.

EDIT: To be clear, the seller has to download the pdf on the page that comes up after the form is submittted. Once you clear that page it is gone.

Last edited:
After the seller submits the eFA10, you can download a pdf copy of the form. You could should get a copy of that for your records.

I have not found that to be the case. There is an opportunity to print the form or save it as a PDF by the filer but there is a warning about not having access to it after you clear the screen.

Usually I have the seller email me a copy at the point of sale.

LenS will be along after coffee and set us straight.

2A Training

It is worth your time.

How does the buyer get notified/access to a copy of the FA-10? Does he have to enter an email address?

How does the buyer get notified/access to a copy of the FA-10? Does he have to enter an email address?

He doesn't. The seller has access to a print function before he closes out the connection. It is the only opportunity to print the form and there is a warning screen to that effect. I have the seller save it as a PDF and email me on the spot a copy. There is no other way I am aware of to obtain a copy.

He doesn't. The seller has access to a print function before he closes out the connection. It is the only opportunity to print the form and there is a warning screen to that effect. I have the seller save it as a PDF and email me on the spot a copy. There is no other way I am aware of to obtain a copy.

Okay, thanks.

I have not found that to be the case. There is an opportunity to print the form or save it as a PDF by the filer but there is a warning about not having access to it after you clear the screen.

Usually I have the seller email me a copy at the point of sale.

LenS will be along after coffee and set us straight.

2A Training

It is worth your time.

Correct. The seller has to download it from the page right after it is submitted. I realize now that my other post was not clear about that

In a private sale if the only device we have is a smart phone I (or the seller) will usually screen shot the fa-10 image and forward it immediately. As a buyer I will only complete the transaction if the fa-10 goes through and I get a digital copy. I have waived the immediate confirmation if I personally knew the seller. Sometimes the fa-10 system is finicky and crashes. It is after all A state run system so naturally it is shit.

Correct. DL after filling it out, then Email to buyer immediately. That's all. I agree that a private bill of sale is also a good idea but not required by law.

I always take a screen shot of the final screen before using the email/print function. It's a good precaution in case you have any type of snafu in the print/email step.

After you run the FA-10, make sure you save the PDF page on your phone. One time though I forgot to save or take a screen shot, I contacted the Mass Firearms Records Bureau and they emailed me a copy of the PDF which I'm not sure they do anymore.

After you run the FA-10, make sure you save the PDF page on your phone. One time though I forgot to save or take a screen shot, I contacted the Mass Firearms Records Bureau and they emailed me a copy of the PDF which I'm not sure they do anymore.
I'm in the process of that now, let you know how it turns out

Back
Top Bottom