• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Private Preschools And Gun Free School Zones

Random question for those who know the laws better than I. Would a privately owned preschool invoke the gun free school zones act or some similar law? I ask because I was out randomly looking at retail rental space for a hypothetical gun shop this morning and found several open spots in a plaza in a great location but there is a preschool well within 1000 ft of all the open spots. Go? No go? Gray area?

Not sure, but there is a private preschool directly across the street from Tyngsboro Sportsmans club. Not sure how that is set up. School only 2 or so years old. Grandfathered?
Does a preschool really count as a School? More of a daycare

i've been to a gun shop in mass several times in a strip mall type building where there is a preschool/day care maybe 5-6 doors down at the end of the building. first time there i didn't see signage for the shop. not realizing it was a preschool, their door opened and a bunch of kids and 2 ladies came out so i asked where the gun shop was. one woman was horrified.."no gun shop around here." the other cheerfully said "oh, it's upstairs." both businesses were co-existing peacefully.

i've been to a gun shop in mass several times in a strip mall type building where there is a preschool/day care maybe 5-6 doors down at the end of the building. first time there i didn't see signage for the shop. not realizing it was a preschool, their door opened and a bunch of kids and 2 ladies came out so i asked where the gun shop was. one woman was horrified.."no gun shop around here." the other cheerfully said "oh, it's upstairs." both businesses were co-existing peacefully.

Still doesnt beat the entire new Bedford police substation not knowing about a gun shop 4 doors down... except for the one "gun guy" in the way back who knew about it but never saw it...

As for the law about guns on school property, it does not matter if it is a private or public school.

Only the OP's location gives a clue that he's asking about Mass laws, as it is posted in General not in the Mass Laws sub-forum.

If you read MGL the definition of a school (in MA, Fed definition is different of course) includes only elementary, secondary and college level schools. Anything co-located there (e.g. pre-school, kindergarten, etc.) would be off-limits.

So pre-schools are not off-limits per MGL.

On the other hand when you go to get a Mass Dealer's License anywhere near a school, pre-school, church, etc. beyond the law, you are at the whim of your local police chief and town fathers/mothers (selectmen, town council, planning board, zoning board, etc.) and if they don't like it you will have a very long and expensive battle on your hands.

As for the law about guns on school property, it does not matter if it is a private or public school.

Only the OP's location gives a clue that he's asking about Mass laws, as it is posted in General not in the Mass Laws sub-forum.

If you read MGL the definition of a school (in MA, Fed definition is different of course) includes only elementary, secondary and college level schools. Anything co-located there (e.g. pre-school, kindergarten, etc.) would be off-limits.

So pre-schools are not off-limits per MGL.

On the other hand when you go to get a Mass Dealer's License anywhere near a school, pre-school, church, etc. beyond the law, you are at the whim of your local police chief and town fathers/mothers (selectmen, town council, planning board, zoning board, etc.) and if they don't like it you will have a very long and expensive battle on your hands.

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

As long as you aren't walking through the pre-school to get to the counter at the gun shop. ;)

I was in leadership at a local pvt. school. Carrying was a fringe benefit.

Back
Top Bottom