• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

private land owners who use there own private shooting range.

I'm in new bedford MA, and im fed up with the restrictions that all the clubs have around here. I'm wondering if there is anyone who would, i guess, "rent" out there private range if i payed a price per year/month. I do not like having a restriction as to what caliber i can fire where, or at what distance. I would pick up any mess i have made. I know this is a longshot, but i figured it was worth a try. If think this sounds sketchy, i wouldn't mind going out to lunch and talking, and just getting to know me first. let me know!

I wouldn't let anyone shoot on my land for a million bucks, especially someone who can't deal with the "restrictions" at the established clubs. The liability is just too great - one knucklehead move and you could lose your house, or worse.

Group buy? NES Shooting Range.... Our motto can be "shoot whatever the F*** you want".

I'm in.

Hell ya. And i understand that it would be a huge liability, which is why i said it was a longshot. I don't want to be stuck shooting long rifles at a 100 yard target, i would like to try some tactical practice at close range. but my range doesnt allow centerfire cartridges on the pistol range.

There's a private club in MA for just about anything you'd want to do. What to shoot long distance? Join Reading. Want to run & gun? Join Harvard. Want to shoot rifles indoors at 3am? Join Mass Rifle. I can't imagine what you could want to do that isn't fulfilled by one of those three (or dozens of other) clubs.

- - - Updated - - -

Group buy on 10 acres of land in NH? Lol about 40000$ that's like 200$ from 500 people.

I see the BS that the board members of the clubs I belong to have to deal with. A private range sounds all well and good until you actually have to operate it...

I would like a range that's open to the public and that I don't have to be a part of. Since I travel a lot and can't make a lot of the required meetings.

I would like a range that's open to the public and that I don't have to be a part of. Since I travel a lot and can't make a lot of the required meetings.

What clubs require you attend meetings other than orientation? Many also waive work party requirements if you pay an extra annual fee.

Yea I let people shoot here but I have rules as well. There is a range about 15 min from my but here we can shoot out to just over 2000 yards and I have several gongs set up along a trail and in other places. I even had a double wide out back for awhile we used for a shoot house all gone now though. Rules are needed no matter where you are be it one person or 50.

I sympathise with you....there aren't many options where we live as to what we can shoot and how far we can shoot. Woodcock has a 400 yard range (from what I have been told),I know of somebody that shoots his 50 cal BMG out there.

I'm in new bedford MA, and im fed up with the restrictions that all the clubs have around here. I'm wondering if there is anyone who would, i guess, "rent" out there private range if i payed a price per year/month. I do not like having a restriction as to what caliber i can fire where, or at what distance. I would pick up any mess i have made. I know this is a longshot, but i figured it was worth a try. If think this sounds sketchy, i wouldn't mind going out to lunch and talking, and just getting to know me first. let me know!

You can come shot on mine anytime you want day or night. I don't care what you shoot, how you shot or what calibers you shoot. You can even go FA and do mag dumps until the barrel melts. I don't care.

Directions to my place from New Bedford:

1. Start out going south on County St toward Kempton St/US-6 E.
2. Take the 1st left onto Kempton St/US-6 E.
Bethel AME Church is on the left
If you reach Middle St you've gone a little too far
3. Turn left onto Pleasant St.
Pleasant St is just past Hill St
Walgreens is on the corner
4. Turn slight right onto Purchase
Purchase St is just past Tower Dr
United States Government Drug Enforcement Administration is on the corner
5. Turn slight right onto Hillman St.
New Bedford Fire Department is on the corner
If you reach Maxfield St you've gone a little too far
6. Merge onto RT-18 N via the ramp on the left toward Lakeville/Taunton.
If you reach Acushnet Ave you've gone a little too far
7. Merge onto I-195 W toward Fall River (Crossing into Rhode Island).
8. Merge onto I-95 S via the exit on the left toward New York (Passing through Connecticut, then crossing into New York).
9. Take the I-287 W exit, EXIT 21, toward White Plains/Tappan Zee Br.
10. Merge onto I-287 W/Cross Westchester Expy.
11. Merge onto I-287 W (Portions toll).
12. Merge onto I-287 S via EXIT 15 toward New Jersey (Crossing into New Jersey).
13. Merge onto I-78 W via EXIT 21B toward Easton Pa (Crossing into Pennsylvania).
14. Take I-78 W (Portions toll).
15. Merge onto I-81 S via EXIT 1B on the left toward Harrisburg (Passing through Maryland, West Virginia and Virginia, then crossing into Tennessee).
16. Merge onto I-40 W via EXIT 1B toward Knoxville.
17. Merge onto I-40 W via EXIT 10B toward Little Rock (Crossing into Arkansas).
18. Merge onto I-440 W via EXIT 159.
19. Merge onto I-30 W via the exit on the left toward Hot Springs/Texarkana (Crossing into Texas).
20. I-30 W becomes I-20 W.
21. I-20 W becomes I-10 W/US-80 W.
22. Take the TX-148-SPUR exit, EXIT 72, toward Ft Hancock.
23. Turn right onto TX-148-SPUR/Knox Ave. Travel 17 miles
24. Merge Left at the fork of McGyvers Rd and Moysleys Rd. Drive 3.45 miles

WELCOME TO MY RANGE! BRING BEER!

37 hrs 6 mins / 2377.16 miles

This is why i live in the country.Walk out the back door when ever and shoot up to 300 yards.Cant imagine having to deal with ranges and packing stuff up to just go shoot.

I sympathise with you....there aren't many options where we live as to what we can shoot and how far we can shoot. Woodcock has a 400 yard range (from what I have been told),I know of somebody that shoots his 50 cal BMG out there.

Yup. Sure does and it's a 500 yarder. Hours stink, but oh well.

Your desire is not unique.

Since others have had the same thought, before, and it's not happened, think why it has not happened.

There is a reason that the Clubs that have the rules that you dislike have the rules that you dislike. The reasons may not be "Good Reasons" from your point of view, but few organizations enact rules just for the hell of it - it's general a reaction to a problem that occurred there, or somewhere similar.

There's a private club in MA for just about anything you'd want to do. What to shoot long distance? Join Reading. Want to run & gun? Join Harvard. Want to shoot rifles indoors at 3am? Join Mass Rifle. I can't imagine what you could want to do that isn't fulfilled by one of those three (or dozens of other) clubs.

This is why I belong to Mass Rifle, the only other club I've been to with any regularity is Harvard, usually for Appleseed Shoots. Harvard's a great club, if it wasn't so far away I'd have joined years ago.

Martin burns Is a public rang and free to use. Not the longest rang. But they also have a area for shot guns.

The pistol rifle range has two shooting tables .

Martin Burns is the closest place for me to shoot, but you can only use it like 4 months a year. Mostly use shotguns there, my wife and daughters hate shooting slugs at the range, but we can shoot bird shot there for a lot less recoil.

I got to look into that. Not sure what the requirements/laws are.

Check with the police in your town for the by laws. I've shot at land in Sherborn and their rules were 500 yards from any dwelling and a written letter of permission is the land was not yours. They wanted a copy of the letter and I would keep a copy with you just in case some idiot neighbor called and a cop stopped by. I also would call the police before I went and let them know where I would be shooting. A neighbor came back and b!tched one time but there isn't anything she could do.

You are not going to find many pieces of private land to shoot inside Rt 128 but outside of 128 there are many areas you could shoot.

Owning your own land outside the peoples republic is really theonly option. Group buying a property in the end just evolves into another gun club, nothing wrong with that, butit would quickly become what you are trying to avoid.

You can come shot on mine anytime you want day or night. I don't care what you shoot, how you shot or what calibers you shoot. You can even go FA and do mag dumps until the barrel melts. I don't care.

Directions to my place from New Bedford:

1. Start out going south on County St toward Kempton St/US-6 E.
2. Take the 1st left onto Kempton St/US-6 E.
Bethel AME Church is on the left
If you reach Middle St you've gone a little too far
3. Turn left onto Pleasant St.
Pleasant St is just past Hill St
Walgreens is on the corner
4. Turn slight right onto Purchase
Purchase St is just past Tower Dr
United States Government Drug Enforcement Administration is on the corner
5. Turn slight right onto Hillman St.
New Bedford Fire Department is on the corner
If you reach Maxfield St you've gone a little too far
6. Merge onto RT-18 N via the ramp on the left toward Lakeville/Taunton.
If you reach Acushnet Ave you've gone a little too far
7. Merge onto I-195 W toward Fall River (Crossing into Rhode Island).
8. Merge onto I-95 S via the exit on the left toward New York (Passing through Connecticut, then crossing into New York).
9. Take the I-287 W exit, EXIT 21, toward White Plains/Tappan Zee Br.
10. Merge onto I-287 W/Cross Westchester Expy.
11. Merge onto I-287 W (Portions toll).
12. Merge onto I-287 S via EXIT 15 toward New Jersey (Crossing into New Jersey).
13. Merge onto I-78 W via EXIT 21B toward Easton Pa (Crossing into Pennsylvania).
14. Take I-78 W (Portions toll).
15. Merge onto I-81 S via EXIT 1B on the left toward Harrisburg (Passing through Maryland, West Virginia and Virginia, then crossing into Tennessee).
16. Merge onto I-40 W via EXIT 1B toward Knoxville.
17. Merge onto I-40 W via EXIT 10B toward Little Rock (Crossing into Arkansas).
18. Merge onto I-440 W via EXIT 159.
19. Merge onto I-30 W via the exit on the left toward Hot Springs/Texarkana (Crossing into Texas).
20. I-30 W becomes I-20 W.
21. I-20 W becomes I-10 W/US-80 W.
22. Take the TX-148-SPUR exit, EXIT 72, toward Ft Hancock.
23. Turn right onto TX-148-SPUR/Knox Ave. Travel 17 miles
24. Merge Left at the fork of McGyvers Rd and Moysleys Rd. Drive 3.45 miles

WELCOME TO MY RANGE! BRING BEER!

37 hrs 6 mins / 2377.16 miles

Road trip!!!

81S seems to go on for-freakin'-EVER.

I would love to buy my own plot of land. But I am only 20 and still living with my parents for now until I can get up on my feet and get my own place. I do have a full time job, so I'm not a loaner. Someone had mentioned that they walk out into their backyard and fire at 300 yrds, and that they can't imagine having to pack everything up just to go shooting. That is the exact feeling I have. I'm in a relationship right now for 2 years, and I'm starting to check out some property for the future, and it seems Freetown, Rochester, Rehobeth are all promising towns for large plots of land. I've seen a couple 20 acre properties that would be perfect.

I wouldn't let anyone shoot on my land for a million bucks, especially someone who can't deal with the "restrictions" at the established clubs. The liability is just too great - one knucklehead move and you could lose your house, or worse.

how could anyone ever consider allowing someone they don't actually know to fire a gun on their property in goddamned MASSACHUSETTS.
the police in my town get calls from neighbors and are required to come up my driveway to check in with me when i shoot myself ( almost never anymore at this point because the bullshit just isn't worth the hassle ) even though i call the station and inform them that i will be firing, what calibers i will be using that day, and how many rounds i expect to go through.

That is sad. I have no neighbors to speak of so that is not a issue. Plus if you call 911 here and somebody is shooting they laugh and hang up on you. When I lived in my last home I had a few well to do flatlanders move onto the adjacent property well over 1000 yards from my home and the majority of property between was mine. They where from Mass and the other owners where from CT they built there houses on the water and they where terrified of gunshots. Many years ago one of the first nice days of summer I had a bunch of folks over for a bbq ( yes I bbq in Maine all year in fact not grilling BBQ ) well when you come to my house generally there is gonna be some shooting. This was a Sunday and the new "neighbors" yep them ones 1000 plus yards away through the woods FREAKED out. They call 911 and the local PD. Unfortunately for them the local police chief was one of the folks who showed up for ribs. He got the call on his cell and said we where just shooting all ok. They did NOT like that answer and after several more 911 calls a trooper and a sheriff's deputy showed up. They came over ( I knew both of them as well ) and told me about the complaint I said chief is over there and as this is Maine they said ok and left. Needless to say EVERY time they came to stay in there "vacation" homes we had the urge to shoot. The guy proved he was not really scared of us gun nuts as a month or so later he came to my home while we where shooting and yelled at me for making all the noise I just laughed and told him he should call the police. Of course that is when we started the random firing of the Barrett at all hours of the night.

When we moved here several years ago one requirement I had was LOTS of space and nobody close. My wife picked the house she wanted with the land I wanted and all is great.

Back
Top Bottom