Primitive Natl Forest Campgrounds in NH maybe Western MA or VT

You guys inspired me. I just asked my boy, who wants nothing to do with us, if he wants to go on a "boys' trip" to NH next weekend. My neighbor owns land in Warren. It is near Mt. Moosilauke and the Baker River. He said "I'll think about it."

Pretty sure they don't want you to kill "alpine stuff", so no camping above treelines, but I'm not sure on that.

There is a lot of specific rules in the WMNF, for the alpine zone…

Camping in the Alpine Zone
(where trees are 8 feet tall or less)
• No camping except on 2 or more feet of snow
• No camping on frozen bodies of water
• No wood or charcoal fires
Please note that the above treeline areas of
the Cutler River Drainage (Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines and the areas around them including the Alpine Garden and East Snowfields) are closed to camping regardless of snow cover.

all the rules:

Now for pooping since it was mentioned. Poop and toilet paper doesn’t really biodegrade all that well, buried or not. The best choice is the Geo Toilets CMC.
064AE2E0-A007-4492-9E6F-72C8C3816381.jpeg

Mountain Tools is a great shop to use…

There is a lot of specific rules in the WMNF, for the alpine zone…

Camping in the Alpine Zone
(where trees are 8 feet tall or less)
• No camping except on 2 or more feet of snow
• No camping on frozen bodies of water
• No wood or charcoal fires
Please note that the above treeline areas of
the Cutler River Drainage (Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines and the areas around them including the Alpine Garden and East Snowfields) are closed to camping regardless of snow cover.

all the rules:

Now for pooping since it was mentioned. Poop and toilet paper doesn’t really biodegrade all that well, buried or not. The best choice is the Geo Toilets CMC.
View attachment 630749

Mountain Tools is a great shop to use…

I’ve been sleeping in the alpine zone for the past 20 years. Some of the mossy bogs in those areas are perfect for a warm loaf.

Was scouting out some areas in W Mass and I am thinking I might just go to an established camping area for their first time. There is one of Zoar Rd in or near Charlemont that looks cool, right in the Deerfield River.

Would really like to just start driving north into some Natl forests with a topo map and find a spot, but not really practical with girlfriend and kid in tow..This is one of those times I miss California.. I know a thousand places to go in and around Lake Tahoe..

Now I just need some more gear.. Got a 6 person tent and a canopy shelter thing.. Need a lantern and a stove. Are the Coleman dual mantle lanterns still the best compared to propane and rechargeable ones they have now?

Pic I took when scouting a place to kick back and swim last weekend. Unfortunately most of the Deerfield is about 2" deep ;(

Where was I?:)

IMG_20220720_091745.jpg

Was scouting out some areas in W Mass and I am thinking I might just go to an established camping area for their first time. There is one of Zoar Rd in or near Charlemont that looks cool, right in the Deerfield River.

Would really like to just start driving north into some Natl forests with a topo map and find a spot, but not really practical with girlfriend and kid in tow..This is one of those times I miss California.. I know a thousand places to go in and around Lake Tahoe..

Now I just need some more gear.. Got a 6 person tent and a canopy shelter thing.. Need a lantern and a stove. Are the Coleman dual mantle lanterns still the best compared to propane and rechargeable ones they have now?

Pic I took when scouting a place to kick back and swim last weekend. Unfortunately most of the Deerfield is about 2" deep ;(

View attachment 640129
The Deerfield river railway bridge?

Nothing brighter than a Coleman gas lantern. Also you can leave it on low like a night light if you want and just put more fuel in next time you need it.

View attachment 640129
Could be wrong but is it Just east of cascade Brook trailhead off river road??

I’ve driven my Jeep over that bridge dozens of times to squeeze through the bushes to the right , some great Jeep trails over there

Are you aware of the remote shelters just a stones throw from there ?? Awesome camping spots

Could be wrong but is it Just east of cascade Brook trailhead off river road??

I’ve driven my Jeep over that bridge dozens of times to squeeze through the bushes to the right , some great Jeep trails over there

Are you aware of the remote shelters just a stones throw from there ?? Awesome camping spots

Just looked it up, we were on the Tea St Exd, Charlemont, MA 01339, off Route 2W on the Deerfield River.

Where is the place you are talking about?

The bridge I’m referring to is about 5 minutes from there

Zoar road turns into river road when it crosses the river a bit further up , just past the tunnel on the right is the bridge

If you’re asking about the shelters/camping spots soot me a message and I’ll try to describe where they are , I just don’t want to make them public , hopefully you have a 4x4 , if not there is another that doesn’t require 4wd

View attachment 640129
this picture gave me the most uneasy feeling imaginable for some reason haha

Back
Top Bottom