• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Primers

Patriot

NES Member
Anyone know the difference between Large Rifle primers and Large Rifle
Magnum primers (other than the obvious). The both seem to be the same
size (#8 1/2 - 120 vs #8 1/2M - 120) so I wondered if they could be used
interchangeably or at least be able to use the Magnum primer in the non
Magnum primer case.

TBP

edited to add:

Never mind. I googled and found this info which explains it.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/primers.htm

Last edited:
Magnum primers will increase the chamber pressure a little, they shouldn't be used with non magnum calibers. Magnum primers are definitely hotter.

TBP,
Magnum primers are said to have a flash of longer duration to aid in igniting some of the very slow burning powders.
If you have already worked up a near max load, switching to magnum primers could push pressures too high.
During the last big primer shortage, in the 80s, magnum primers were all that could be found for a while. I used them with IMR powders in .308 and 30-06, but backed the loads down to the starting load and worked up from there. I did not notice much change in the loads and suspect that there is some differences from one brand of primers to another. Any time you change components in your handloads, you should back off maximum and work back up a little at a time.
I would probably not use them in a gas operated semi auto. A bolt gun has more ability to handle pressure excursions without incident.
FWIW, a really long time ago, it was widely reccomended to use magnum primers with all ball powders.

Thanks guys. I have some Winchester WLR primers from a while ago when I
was reloading and they are Large Rifle / Magnum primers that carry the
id WRL, which on the current package indicates that they are regular large
rifle primers. The current package for Large Rifle Magnum primers carry the
WRLM id. I was looking at the primers in the classifieds that state they are
large rifle magnum primers and trying to see if I could use them. I'm using them
in a 30-06 Rem Mod 700BDL Bolt Action Rifle. I believe that the IRM powder I
was using at the time was extruded which, according to what I read tonight,
is a lot easier to ignite than the ball or flake. I'll guess that I will stick to the
regular primers until I get a little more comfortable with my loads.

Magnum primers would be too much for the 30-06, in the belted magnums the belt is at the base of the brass where the pressure is the greatest. I would guess a magnum primer would bulge due to excessive pressure. I use tested recipes with prescribed primers for any single load. Different powders like different primers in most cases. In .308 I use CCI BR2 primers for one powder, Federal 210M for another, and Rem primers for another. Hunting, competition or plinking is what I take into consideration when I'm hand loading.

With no tested data for magnum primers in a non magnum round I wouldn't venture into it. The 30-06 is great the way it is [wink]

I have some Winchester WLR primers from a while ago when I was reloading and they are Large Rifle / Magnum primers that carry the id WRL,

I don't know if Winchester actually makes a specific magnum rifle primer. All the WLR primers I have all say for standard or magnum loads.

They can be used for either.

I don't know if Winchester actually makes a specific magnum rifle primer. All the WLR primers I have all say for standard or magnum loads.

They can be used for either.

That's what mine say as well, but Winchester does make the WRLM primers
which they specifically say are for Magnum cartridges. This is where my
confusion came in originally.

Back
Top Bottom