Primers "On Sale" - Question About Brands

I got an email from one of the large Etailers that they are having a sale on primers. The prices seems decent although I have not calculated shipping or any Hazmat fees.
I recently started reloading and I have only used CCI and Federal in the sky blue box. Is Remington worth the extra cost? Not sure why they are more but they always seem to be more when I have seen them.
Or am I better off sticking with CCI? I know that some brands like CCI and Remington are recommended for Lee presses due to safety issues with other brands.
I clean the primer pockets and use a hand primer due to my setup, and always wear a full goggle so I don't worry as much about the safety issues. By cleaning the pockets with the little metal tool in a drill I know in advance that they are all the correct primer pocket size so there is no danger of squeezing a large primer into a small hole.
Thanks.

Well I did the calculations and when you add hazmat fee plus shipping it costs more than to go to my usual place. About the only thing to gain is that they are in stock.
I'm still wondering if Remington is worth the extra cost though.

I reload lots of shotgun shells, and use the Winchester, but when Nobel are available at a considerable savings, I use them. Small pistol primers should be about the same, I found some Winchester, but would probably use the cheaper ones if I had a choice. Midway's prices are high. It is almost better to buy local instead of paying haz mat fee and shipping unless you could find powder and buy enough stuff to split with others to break down haz mat and shipping, then it is time to look at buying on line.

I think CCI is the best, especially if you're loading for semi auto's with floating firing pins. Primers with softer metal can result in slam fires.

From my understanding, Remington are the hardest primers, followed by CCI, Winchester, and Federal being the lightest.
Some well tuned lightweight triggers will not pierce anything but Federal primers. If your firearm reliable sets off the CCI, stick with them, they are great.

One of my M&P pistols will occasionally not pierce a CCI primer, but the same round will fire in a different firearm. I have had zero problems with Winchester in the same M&P.

I find CCI burns the cleanest. I don't even bother clean the primer pocket after using them. Winchester I find burns the dirtiest and takes a forever cleaning the pockets.

I buy wolf when they are on sale..... many thousands over the past 5 yrs and no issues. CCI 34 and 41 only because I got them cheap. After that what ever is in stock at a price I will pay to replenish my stock pile.
I do have some federal bench or match primers, I forget as its been so long since I bought them. Those will be for what ever gun I get that might be considered accurate? Again I purechased these below average price. See the direction I go in.

What firearm you are shooting them out of makes a big difference in what brands and types I would recommend.

Are you shooting handguns or rifles? Match ammo or practice ammo? Unless you're a very good shot, you probably won't see a difference in accuracy when shooting handguns. You'll probably have to be more fussy if you're shooting a scoped rifle.

I've always been a fan of Federal although I always heard of slam-fires in the AR. They now make a small rifle match AR primer that has a harder case and they seem to have good accuracy.

These are actually from the Murom Appratus Producing Plant in Russia. Tula and PMC have also sold Murom primers under their name.

I picked up 5k Tula's for $120 last time i was out west, been through about 1.5k so far and no issues. My dad was able to score some this past weekend at just a hair over $100 per 5k and has 10k waiting for me when I show up after the holiday. He was also able to grab 5k S&B primers for $110 for himself. Going to come back with plenty of primers it looks like, very happy.

I'm a fan of buying whichever is cheapest when it comes to small pistol primers. I've only shot about 3 different brands so far though, but I haven't ran across any that don't always go bang.

Last edited:
Ive been shooting Tula small/large pistol for almost a year now, havent had a single issue, get them mostly for 25 per k.

For the name brand, i prefer CCI primers. Winchesters for some reason, dont feed as well with my primer fillers. I have used remington, and dont have anything bad to say about them, but also dont see the point in paying more. I use primarily Tula primers. I have used over 10k of them and have had 6 bad primers. Not to bad for the money i paid for them at $23 per thousand.

Been using CCIs for over 20 years and can count the times on one hand that I have ever had issue with them however beggars can't be choosy these days and I have a decent supply of Winchester primers as well. The Winchester don't play well with some brands of brass I have noticed. For example they are very loose in PPU brass but the CCIs always fit just right. When things were really bad a few months back I picked up some Remington small pistol primers that I found and have had nothing but trouble with them in my 9mm cases, they seat to deep, it's as if they are too shallow. I had so many misfires due to lack of a good primer strike in four different brands of brass I stopped using them, never had that problem with CCIs or Winchester's.

Back
Top Bottom