• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Primers and powder costs going up

I just payed $29.50 for Winchester large pistol primers and W231 was $22.00.

Red Dot, Blue Dot and almost all the other powders were $22.00 and up.

I just bought Red Dot 3 months ago and it was $16.95 and the primers were $23.85

I can't complain, at least I found the primers. I got 3 boxes of them because winchester primers are getting hard to find.

Middleboro gun shop. The last time I was at Four Seasons they were $27.95 so I didn't think it was all that bad. I called over 6 stores and none of them had them and a couple of them said they had no idea when they would get their order.

The price of Red Dot surprised me. I'm use to it being a lot lower than any other powder.

Damn. Powder's been more or less impervious to the price increases up to this point.

I saw an increase at least 2 months ago. WST had been about $18.50; 231 about $1 more.

I noticed Winchester had changed the packaging from the useful little flat jugs (same shape as 1-gallon anti-freeze and 1 and 5-quart oil containers) to the useless round containers. Prices for each had gone up, especially WST. Both it and 231 were now about $22/lb. I'm glad I squirreled several pounds away when I had the chance.

Primers, too. I heard last week that primers had gone up about $1.25/1000.

I've ordered them from online suppliers and bought them through my gun club. One of my buddies get his from the gun shows. Your gun store should be able to order them for you as well.

As an FYI:

I was in BassPro this afternoon and found the powder on top of the ammo cases.

Most powder was $17 and $18/lb, $60 and $70 for 4# kegs (number rounded up). Didn't see any primers on the shelves and didn't ask as it was time to "get out of Dodge" (~3" of snow) by then. I wasn't looking to buy anyway, just to report to you guys that are.

I still have a lot of powder that I paid $5-7/lb for many years ago to burn before looking to buy more. [wink]

Dave's Guns, the old post road guns in Warwick, stocks a lot of the 4 and 8 pounders, and at very reasonable prices. Not a lot over the cost he's buying them from his distributor. bring cash, or the price goes up 3% for using a credit card.

and Bugs, why you still using Red dot when Promo is the same thing, only it costs about $85 for 8 pounds.
Sure the lots may not be consistent in drop weight, so you need to weigh your charge when you buy new ones, but it takes a while to use up 8 pounds. I just buy the 2 8lb box so I get them from the same lot and don't have to check it till i'm through with 16lbs. Even then, most are the same.

I've never seen Promo in any of the gun stores in Ma. In fact I've never heard of it before and have no idea who makes it.

I would try it if I could find it around here, but the round trip drive to Warwick would cost at least $50..

Back
Top Bottom