• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Primers and humidity

Does humidity affect primers? If so, would it make sense to vacuum seal them if stored for an extensive period of time?

I've loaded hundreds of primers that were approximately twenty years old. They were
in my cellar for that time without being in any special case. It has gotten really humid
at times throughout that period and they all went bang. They were Winchester primers.
Just my experience.

Last edited:
Big Red, I would suggest that IF you have that equipment it certainly would not hurt. As long as they are somewhat dry and cool, they should last a long time.

If you have some old ones, the best way to test them is to load a dozen primers in empty cases (no powder, no bullets), and test fire them.

If you get 100% performance, statistically they should be all set.

If, on the other hand, you get even one that doesn't fire, consider them all suspect, and toss them.

I had 15 year old Win small and large pistol primers that when loaded resulted in 50-75 fps slower loads. They still went bang and did a good job but they did degrade.

I've loaded hundreds of primers that were approximately twenty years old. They were
in my cellar for that time without being in any special case. It has gotten really humid
at times throughout that period and they all went bang. They were Winchester primers.
Just my experience.

Ditto; CCI.

Back
Top Bottom