Primer Reloading

Hey guys...it has been near impossible to find any primers. When I spoke to my Dad, he told me that his Dad used to reload his primers. I could not believe it.

My Dad was not taught, but I figured someone here might have some knowledge about it, and how it could be done.

Best,
Jim

Thx Dick....looks like I am blocked at work...will have to check it out at home, unless you can cut and paste. I live in NJ, think I would be ok to reload a primer pocket. Not sure about MA.

Jim

It's a pretty long thread, so cutting and pasting here would be impractical. You could try going through a proxy site, which is what I usually do when I'm at a client's location with a nanny on the system.

The legal issue apparently comes in mixing your own priming compound, which is arguably a high-explosive, and therefore restricted by BATFE.

Sure - just Google "proxy sites" and you'll get a list of sites that you can go through to access other sites (the ones that are banned at wherever you are). The nanny only looks at the site you're accessing directly (the proxy site) and, depending on how sophisticated the IT people are, they usually aren't able to or don't even try to block all of the proxies.

I can remember a kit to make your own percussion caps for black powder out of aluminum beer cans and caps from cap guns,but making primers for centerfire ammo,sounds like a disaster ready to happen. And would you be saving money by doing this? Doubtful.

making primers

this has come up elsewhere. it is a last ditch desperate act with gread danger.the purcussion caps used cap gun caps inserted.some are talking about making your own mixture.its explosive and could end in jail"making explosives" DONT DO IT.

Did you guys read the instructions???

Heat solution B to 60-65° on a water bath and agitate it with a plastic or hardwood stirring rod. The stirring should be as efficient as possible to prevent the formation of large crystals. Stirring, while vigorous, should not produce any spattering of the mixture and the stirring should not rub against the walls of the beaker. The friction might cause some crystals to explode.
end quote

Stirring something with a wooden rod can make it go bang.... You just passed way .. way out of my league, I'll deal with the shortage

"Now that there is funny"

Guys was an exercise in frustration. SHTF situation vs reality, and just some interest from smart guys out there. Tho I do have about 8000 once fired SRPs. Maybe someone interested?

Jim

Necro thread revival...

Here's a link to an article about reloading primers. That article contains a link to a pretty comprehensive manual. Personally speaking, I'd download it for possible future reference.

And while I'm not that desperate yet, I spoke to a shooter at one of my local matches last week - and he's reloading primers. Successfully. He told me that he does it while watching tv.

Necro thread revival...

Here's a link to an article about reloading primers. That article contains a link to a pretty comprehensive manual. Personally speaking, I'd download it for possible future reference.

And while I'm not that desperate yet, I spoke to a shooter at one of my local matches last week - and he's reloading primers. Successfully. He told me that he does it while watching tv.

f*** that. I’ll just stop shooting before I do that.

Back
Top Bottom