Primer pop out

SJan

NES Member
Came across this on a different forum:
Every time you fire a gun, the primer is popped out of it's pocket and forced against the bolt face. When the chamber pressure begins to drop the cartridge is then also pushed back into the bolt face, at that point it picks the primer back up. If the chamber pressure is too low, this will not happen.

Is that true?
@EddieCoyle

The only other experience I have had with primers popping out was with a inexpensive, low quality case of "re-manufactured" 223, those cases the primer pockets were just worn out, a few primers fell out before firing.

I was searching for anyone having issues with factory Armscor 22TCM (9r) primers popping out when fired. I know there are at least of threads here on NES about 22TCM, but I'm mostly just curious about the above statement. I will be emailing Armscor about this, could be a problem with the lot.
I got a glock 17 conversion barrel for Christmas. Sort of a fun range toy thing. I ordered 2 boxes of ammo from Targetsports and tried the conversion for the first time today. I think there were 10 in a box of 50 that I fired that the primer popped out. Most of those cases that lost their primers did not extract as well, and needed a rod to bump out of the chamber.

damn! from personal experience, shooting since 1970 tens of thousands of rounds, never had a primer "pop out." that includes factory and reloads and many different calibers both pistol and rifle and shotgun.

not saying it doesn't happen. [smile] be interested to hear ec's opinion.

Sounds to me as if they were over pressure. Who is the manufacturer of the conversion barrel? This is the first I've heard of a .22 TCM glock conversion.

When a cartridge fires the primer does back out but as the cycle completed the case and bolt crush it back together.
This will really show its face if you fire weak rounds in a revolver and the popped out primer locks up the cylinder. If you ever shot wax bullets in revolver and did not expand the flash hole this happens

Sounds to me as if they were over pressure. Who is the manufacturer of the conversion barrel? This is the first I've heard of a .22 TCM glock conversion.
Armscor / Rock Island Armory is the manufacturer of the conversion barrel. It included an appropriate recoil spring assembly. They used to sell it as a complete slide assembly, that has been discontinued. Armscor Rock Island is (as far as I can tell) the only manufacture or anything related to 22 TCM / 22TCM9R. They offer several models of 1911 in the cambering and a rifle as well. 9r indicates a shorter projectile loaded to a shorter OAL to fit in Glock magazines.

OP: It sounds like you have some over-pressure ammo or a problem (undersized bore?) with the barrel.

When a cartridge fires the primer does back out but as the cycle completed the case and bolt crush it back together.
This will really show its face if you fire weak rounds in a revolver and the popped out primer locks up the cylinder. If you ever shot wax bullets in revolver and did not expand the flash hole this happens
This.

Try priming a couple of cases and then discharging just the primed case in a revolver. The cylinder will lock up due to the protruding primer.

Like you said, drill out the flash hole with a 1/8" or 5/32" bit and it won't happen.

Back
Top Bottom