• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Primer pockets.. some tight, some not

I just primed about 500 9mm cases last night... mostly CCI and Win but some others as well. I don't have a progressive yet... maybe Santa will help me out. In the mean time a decap/resize and even clean the primer pocket with a RCBS brush. Prime with an RCBS hand primer.

I've noticed that the CCI pockets are not as tight as the others. Most of the Win cases seem noticably snugger. All of these are once fired commercial brass. Is this typical? How do you know when the primer pockets are no good?

Thanks

How do you know when the primer pockets are no

When the primers fall out. I've never had that happen. There seems to be more differences between one brand of brass to another with 9mm than with other calibers. People have found that case volumes and rims can be different, and you've found the same is true with primer pockets too (or that CCI brass fits your priming tool differently). I think it comes down to an ease of reloading issue rather than translating into anthing that matters much with a pistol round.

"Glock bulge" is more of a problem. The only batch of brass that was kind of pain to reload for me was new Win brass. The primer pockets were really tight.

You will find small variances in primer pocket dimensions between brands.

It's hard for me to describe when the primer pocket is too big, but I seat by feel and I know when they're too large. If you think they're too large, don't use the brass. Not worth the trouble involved, if you have a problem.

S&B and *I* brass sometimes have tight primer pockets (in .45 ACP anyway). Amerc brass has very loose primer pockets. I've read stories about the primer literally falling out of a reloaded once-fired Amerc case. I scrap that crap as a matter of course.

S&B and *I* brass sometimes have tight primer pockets (in .45 ACP anyway). Amerc brass has very loose primer pockets. I've read stories about the primer literally falling out of a reloaded once-fired Amerc case. I scrap that crap as a matter of course.

I haven't seen American ammo on the range in some time, and no great loss. I now routinely discard any AMERC brass I find.

If the primer pockets are that loose, discard the brass. It's probably been loaded several times already and was left on the range because it was worn out.

Thanks Gentlemen, I appreciate the information. The primers certainly go into the CCI pockets easier but they are by no means loose.

I was concerned because I've noticed that my breach face of my Sig 229 .40 had tiny pits right around the area where the primer sits (small circle). This happened sometime after I purchased the gun (bought new) BUT only with commercial rounds. Someone told me loose primers can be the cause of that so I wanted to be carefull.

Thanks Gentlemen, I appreciate the information. The primers certainly go into the CCI pockets easier but they are by no means loose.

I was concerned because I've noticed that my breach face of my Sig 229 .40 had tiny pits right around the area where the primer sits (small circle). This happened sometime after I purchased the gun (bought new) BUT only with commercial rounds. Someone told me loose primers can be the cause of that so I wanted to be carefull.

Look for a black ring around the edge of the primer in spent reloaded cases.

I have always had trouble seating CCI primers in .45 ACP. It got to the point where I could no longer load because my arms/hands/wrists were too sore from grabbing the press and handle in separate hands and squeezing them together as hard as I can to avoid high primers. I have been using Winchester primers in 9MM and they just slip right in without a fuss.

Keep a close eye on that breech face... a new slide would be expensive.

I have always had trouble seating CCI primers in .45 ACP. It got to the point where I could no longer load because my arms/hands/wrists were too sore from grabbing the press and handle in separate hands and squeezing them together as hard as I can to avoid high primers.

That's because you're probably using a crappy little Lee press or something. [smile] [wink]

I have always had trouble seating CCI primers in .45 ACP. It got to the point where I could no longer load because my arms/hands/wrists were too sore from grabbing the press and handle in separate hands and squeezing them together as hard as I can to avoid high primers. I have been using Winchester primers in 9MM and they just slip right in without a fuss.

Keep a close eye on that breech face... a new slide would be expensive.

Wow, that doesn't seem right at all. I've only been using Winchester primers, no problems with them so far (small or large). I guess I just assumed it was the pockets and not the primers.

Back
Top Bottom