• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Primer locking up revolver..

I was at the range using a 625 with moon clips when the cylinder locked up. I got it open and dropped the moon clip out and noticed that a primer was missing in a unfired round. I'm postive that the rounds all had a primer in them when I started.

When I reload I take all the rounds and inspect them as I put them in to 100 round boxes and then before I put the box away, I look at the primers again to make sure their seated properly.

This has never happened to me before, so I was a little surprised that this happened. I was using 4.3grs of Red Dot with 200gr cast with Wolf large primers which isn't a very hot load.

Has any one else ever have this happen?

I had primers fall out of .30/06 ammo that I loaded using brass from M1 Garand ammo that came from Taiwan. Now I shoot the ammo and throw the brass away.

I neglected to say that it was a unfired round that lost the primer. So it had to be the recoil that knocked it out of the pocket.

Funny thing when I looked at the primer pocket it looked fine. Is there another way to check primer pockets?

Funny thing when I looked at the primer pocket it looked fine. Is there another way to check primer pockets?

Feel when seating the primer. Most detectable with hand priming tools, but even a press will let you feel a tight seat from a loose one.

It will also happen with light loads (but only on fired rounds).
When I started reloading for my 625, I had an action job done on the pistol, and the smith said that I needed to use Federal primers seated below flush. So I primed some cases and fired them (no powder, no bullets) just to be sure they went off. almost every time the primers would back out (brand new starline brass, so shouldn't be a problem with primer pockets). I have also seen the problem in CAS with very light loads, the primers tend to back out. I haven't seen it happen with hot loads - go figure.

I was at the range using a 625 with moon clips when the cylinder locked up. I got it open and dropped the moon clip out and noticed that a primer was missing in a unfired round. I'm postive that the rounds all had a primer in them when I started.

When I reload I take all the rounds and inspect them as I put them in to 100 round boxes and then before I put the box away, I look at the primers again to make sure their seated properly.

This has never happened to me before, so I was a little surprised that this happened. I was using 4.3grs of Red Dot with 200gr cast with Wolf large primers which isn't a very hot load.

Has any one else ever have this happen?

I had one fall out shooting my .32H&R with 115gr cast bullets. That's the only one so far
with my handguns. I had a primer fall out of a .223. When it ejected the case went flying
and the primer just dropped from the ejection port. Neither time was I shooting anything hot.

Back
Top Bottom