• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Primer and powder prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whos got the best prices on reloading supplies in the western mass southern vt area? I just paid $45 for 1k winchester small rifle primers! And $36 for a pound of varget. Had to get them. There has got to be better prices elswhere.

Whos got the best prices on reloading supplies in the western mass southern vt area? I just paid $45 for 1k winchester small rifle primers! And $36 for a pound of varget. Had to get them. There has got to be better prices elswhere.

If you buy in mass you will pay more. Dealers are restricted to a max amount of primers and powder they can have in the shop. Also dictated by the FD chief. I think the max is 100,000 primers. Not even a mouse fart in primer sales. Few years ago we called a,vendor to see where the next price point in quantity was on primers. We where splitting 50k primers between 7 guys 2-3 times a year. Most expensive was 26.50 per k shipped. He offered us a 12% discount and we would have to arrange our own freight pickup for 50 cases.

Depending how far west you are, how fuel efficient your car is, and how many primers and powder you need, you're prob better off driving to the NH shops. Al's in Derry, and Shooters Outpost and Rileys in Hooksett.

You can pay $29 for the same online, just send to an out of state location. You can get boxes or pay per pkg at alot of places.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Personally it's doesn't bother me to pay $40 for a brick of primers locally.

The best way to get them bulk is to do online orders and max out what you can ship under one hazmat fee. Other than that just find a shop near somewhere else you drive routinely that's $35-40 and just be happy you can find them there.

Not relevant to your location, but the last shop where I priced a pound of powder was Hope Valley, RI. $28 and change for a pound of IMR 4320. It seems as though you are doing very well to get a pound locally for under $26.
That said, my brother picked up some Longshot and IMR 4895 for me in NH (at Riley's, I believe) last month for $22.99 and $24.99 respectively. With no sales tax, I figure that's about as good as it gets these days.
S&B primers at Cabela's (East Hartford) were $24.99 + 6.35% tax. They've worked fine for me.

I save by buying in bulk online so the hazmat fee can be spread across as many items as possible. Cabelas and Midway have constant sales on primers and powder -- and I think Midway just had a no hazmat fee deal -- that I save by ordering from them rather than locally.

Closing this because this is going to result in nippleheads dropping sources. (which are dwindling rapidly as I write this).

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom