• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Primary Arms Red Dot Sight Questions (Aimpoint Clone)

While I can't afford the actual Aimpoint, the PA's clone looks quite attractive. I am on the fence about the Gen2 (comp M3) vs Gen3 (comp M4). While the Gen3 has a longer battery life (8,000 hours vs 200). Does anyone have the Gen3 to compare the Gen2 against or thoughts on the Gen3 for that matter?

Last edited:
I've owned one (gen 2, I think) and was pleased with it. I think I'd spend the $400 for an Aimpoint or Eotech for fighting gun but for range duty you should be happy with it.

It's just a little more money but if I were you I would consider a Vortex red dot as a good compromise. They make great, reasonably priced stuff, period; not just for the money. I've never owned a PA red dot so I don't have anything bad to say about them. I've had great experiences with Vortex though and I hear their customer service is top notch (though I've never had to use it).

Regarding the above choices, I almost always go with battery life unless there are other known issues.

I have two, both on my ARs and I love them. Mounts are solid. I have taken many classes, couple in the rain and they have been solid. Best of luck

I'm using their newest Aimpoint Micro clone and friggin' love it. 5 year battery life and seems fairly rugged, it has been dropped on concrete a few times and had hundreds of rounds through the rifle with no loss of zero. If I had my choice between it and an Aimpoint to bet my life on, obviously the Aimpoint. If I was on a budget, the new PA any day. I'm actually considering getting a second one for another rifle.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Advanced_Micro_Dot_with_Push_Buttons_p/md-ads.htm

At this point, I am leaning towards the Gen3. This isn't anything more than a range gun and and the more I save, the more that is left over for ammo.

Back
Top Bottom