Prices on the buy and sell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've bought and sold dozens of guns here. I think only 1 gun I listed didn't sell with-in a week. I've never had someone say to me

"you have that gun listed for $500, that's a good price, I'll give you full asking price"

if I want $500, I list it for $525 and normally sell it for $475 and everyone's happy.

I don't know the guy selling the MP 9, but if it's listed for 500, and I wanted the gun, I'd throw an email with an offer., the worst that can happen is you get a "no"

Overpricing seems to be especially prevalent with M&Ps for some reason (I don't think I've read the particular sale you're talking about). I was amused to find one priced above retail a few months back.

Of course, you can ask whatever you want! Don't see any harm in commenting about it, though.

The Free Market does not mean not commenting when prices are too high. Really, it's pretty much the opposite. Not sure why people freak out about these threads. "That's too much! I want to pay less! Look at these high prices!" is the free market in action. Why, when anyone says that, they're practically communists, is beyond me.

'only 100 rounds fired'.

I don't find this suspect. People seem to accumulate guns, and not too many people seem to really shoot them all that much.

Last edited:
The Free Market does not mean not commenting when prices are too high.

It does on the NES forums. I even collected an official warning for commenting on a seriously overpriced low end gun.

It does on the NES forums. I even collected an official warning for commenting on a seriously overpriced low end gun.

There's a difference between posting it in the thread, and telling the seller via PM or email. The classifieds rules pretty explicitly state that comments on the item/price shouldn't be posted in classifieds threads.

Any item is worth what someone will pay. That's the definition.

I've had itmes for sale at ridiculously high prices (because I was under no pressure to sell, and if I was going to sell I wanted to come out ahead.) that were turned down by a parade, then one person jumped on it, thrilled.

Who was right? Everyone.

In the car business, people would say, "The book value is $X!" We'd say, "Books don't buy cars."

There's a difference between posting it in the thread, and telling the seller via PM or email. The classifieds rules pretty explicitly state that comments on the item/price shouldn't be posted in classifieds threads.

Which is exactly what I said.

I disagree with the policy as information control never benefits anyone. In the case where I unintentionally violated the policy (since had not read the policies as I thought they were about posting ads) someone was advertising a Raven or Jennings (I forget which) for $150.

Which is exactly what I said.

I disagree with the policy as information control never benefits anyone. In the case where I unintentionally violated the policy (since had not read the policies as I thought they were about posting ads) someone was advertising a Raven or Jennings (I forget which) for $150.

It's not as if anyone on NES can't go on gunbroker and check auction prices to figure out whether or not the price they're looking at is any good. The information is out there.

I think it's mostly just a matter of keeping the classifieds section from turning into Off Topic - A place for off-topic, non-gun discussions

Do people actually pay these prices? I think that $500 for a used M & P when I can get one new for $500,

OK I have to ask . . . DID YOU ACTUALLY READ THE AD?

I went back and looked at the ad you refer to and now I see why he's asking that price and it is not IMNSHO out of line, Here's info from his ad (I won't quote it):

- 4 mags (not the 2 it usually comes with). Unsure what todays price is for mags, but probably $35+ each = $70

- 1 box carry ammo, value $20-30?

- jit slide holster, value ?

- trigger job. No idea who did it, but the cheapest professional gunsmith around is at $75 for this work.

So . . . that's $165 of "add-ons" + value of holster (I have no clue on that), let's say $185 total.

Remove these extras and the gun is at $315. Then sell the extras separately.

Like the OP, I saw the Subject and thought it was a bit high, BUT when you read the listing, I no longer feel that way.

Now which gun shop is selling a New M&P for $500 with all those add-ons?

As you should have...

From EC's "A "Must Read" For All Potential Posters/Buyers (Really, read this first)" located at the top of each section of the classifieds...

DO NOT bash someone's ad or post irrelevant comments.

If you post something like "Good luck getting that price" or "I had one of those and it sucked" your post will be deleted and if the Mod is in a bad mood, you'll be warned. Do it enough and you'll be banned. We hate people like you.

Yup [thinking]

As far as your "practical" goes...the AR (which from what I've seen accounts for a majority of things for sale here) is one of the most practical and versatile platforms to ever exist. Name one activity than an AR couldn't be configured to be a decent choice. Go ahead. I dare ya.

Concealed carry.

It's funny because someone posted a thread semi recently getting mad about people offering less than asking price in the classifieds. You can't win.

People generally offer guns for sale at what they think they'll sell for. The exception is someone who thinks they're selling investments and can exploit market conditions to get more than a gun is worth (scarcity in MA, etc.).

If the price is too high, move on.

On the other hand, many buyers want to pick up guns at 'fire sale' prices. Often they will attempt to exploit a seller, especially if they think he may be 'desparate'.

I'll offer an example. I have an M&P 9, full size right now that I've never fired...never even taken it out of the box. I've got others that I shoot regularly. I'm not offering the unused gun for sale, but IF I were, WHY on God's green earth would I sell it for less than its value as a new gun?

It IS a new gun...it even comes with a lifetime manufacturers warranty. Where's the depreciation?

Unless I'm desparate, there's no reason to take a loss on the sale of the gun.

Someday, I'll either add it to my shooters, or sell it to someone who will at least pay me what I paid for it (retail will likely have risen by then). I may even give it away as a gift. BUT I absolutely won't sell it for less than I paid for it....no reason to.

If you're looking for 'ebay prices' look elsewhere.

its a bit simple for me, there is no obligation to list any price but the one

you want to, its a free country, regardless of what its worth. Its up to the

prospective buyer to make a decision. If you don't like the price listed,

you can always make an offer, or move on.

wrong. AR pistol and a long coat. Not that's it's ideal by a long shot, but you could do it.

Damn. Beat me to it!

oly_oa-98.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom