• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prices on the buy and sell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi NES,

I don't want to start a flame war just some honest discussion.

There seems to be pricing in the 'for sale' section that is generally the same as new in MA stores. Most posts have very suspect titles like 'BNIB' or 'only 100 rounds fired'.

Do people actually pay these prices? I think that $500 for a used M & P when I can get one new for $500, $775 for a used M1100 shotgun that can be had for $50 less or $1050 for a used Kimber(fine you can't get it in state but that's MSRP!).

There also seems to be a glut of 'tacticool' guns and very few sporting rifles and shotguns listed... is there another forum of local MA guys that I should know about where the prices are halfway decent and the guns are somewhat practical?

[crying]

/rant off.

There are many people who believe, for whatever reason, that when they buy a gun
they should be able to turn it around for the same or greater price a year later.

I have no clue as to where this mentality comes from. It's the same as someone driving from the Cape to Boston, stand in line for an hour in a cramped room solely in order to save $50.

It's crazy.

Buying a new gun is the same as buying a new car. The second you drive it off the lot it loses 30% of its value. It's the same with guns.

If you follow some of those threads you'll see those guns almost never sell at those prices.

You're exactly right, why would anyone with a brain pay $500 for a used gun that you can buy for $550 new???

Some people in this world simply let $ run their lives.

That's fine, it's a free country so far and if buyers are stupid enough to pay the price then that is capitalism[smile]

What is your point?

Don't like the price? Shop elsewhere and say nothing. People who complain about prices sound like they think they are entitled to a price of their liking.

About "practical" sporting guns, I hear Jim Zumbo's got quite a few for sale.

Lamest thread ever. Don't like the price, don't buy the goods. Or maybe try to negotiate a deal. Pretty simple.

yes, some people are horribly unrealistic with their prices. A part of me wishes people would stop crapping up the classifieds with threads looking for stupid prices for their run of the mill guns, BUT, instead of complaining, I just don't buy it. Don't buy their product and they will eventually turn away.

I thought some of the prices were high but on the other end I thought some were pretty good. Why not see if you can get a higher price, then if nobody bites either keep it or lower the price.

Some people might price their firearms a bit high, in the hopes that they will get a bid which may be lower but will meet their "hidden reserve". Just ask Ross about the Argentine Colt he bought from me.

[wink]

You have some valid points but on the other hand i have found very good deals on used firearms on here so i have nothing to complain about. If the price is very high, keep checking back because if they really need the money the price will drop.

most of the old angry whitemen do not let go of thier old sporter springfields or custom nosler rifles or the trust shotty. Also I dont see many older shooters 50+ selling off their resent gottohavits to purchase their other gotstohavits. Prices are what they are and tend to either sell or go back into the safe.

it all comes down to wanting.......do you or not? Then the price doesnt matter.

To get csome of the deals you need to drive a few hours
OK so X gun shop sells the M&P full size for 500.00 plus a free holster blah blah blah
But this guy on the WTS webby hasd one will meet me sunday night @ my club @ 10pm to check it out
Now I dont have to drive 1+ hours fitting trafic and try to get back in time for my kids ball game

As far as pricing goes....most people (myself included) usually list a price (which is typically high) then "OBRO" -- Or Best Reasonable Offer. Especially in a situation like we have here at NES, people haggle.

Let's say you have a firearm you want to sell, and end up with $300 in your pocket. If you list it for $300, chances are someone's going to offer you $250. If you list it for $350, chances are you'll get an offer for $275 or maybe even higher. If you think a price is too high on an item you want, make a lower offer. The worst that will happen is you'll get a NO in reply.

As far as your "practical" goes...the AR (which from what I've seen accounts for a majority of things for sale here) is one of the most practical and versatile platforms to ever exist. Name one activity than an AR couldn't be configured to be a decent choice. Go ahead. I dare ya.

On the volume of tactical, I think a lot of people rushed to buy a lot of stuff a couple years ago and are now realizing they do not shoot it and really needed the money for other stuff.

As far as your "practical" goes...the AR (which from what I've seen accounts for a majority of things for sale here) is one of the most practical and versatile platforms to ever exist. Name one activity than an AR couldn't be configured to be a decent choice. Go ahead. I dare ya.

Skeet. Although I have no factual evidence to back this up[laugh]

Hi NES,

I don't want to start a flame war just some honest discussion.

There seems to be pricing in the 'for sale' section that is generally the same as new in MA stores. Most posts have very suspect titles like 'BNIB' or 'only 100 rounds fired'.

Do people actually pay these prices? I think that $500 for a used M & P when I can get one new for $500, $775 for a used M1100 shotgun that can be had for $50 less or $1050 for a used Kimber(fine you can't get it in state but that's MSRP!).

There also seems to be a glut of 'tacticool' guns and very few sporting rifles and shotguns listed... is there another forum of local MA guys that I should know about where the prices are halfway decent and the guns are somewhat practical?

[crying]

/rant off.

I bet if you look hard enough you should be able to find another fourum where all the prices are just the way you want them . You've been here 2 months and haven't figured out the the market sets the price. It's generally always what the market will bear. If something is priced way out of whack, it'll sit and not move and eventually sell at a lower price or the thread will die on the vine , so to speak. So unless you are a teenager with almost no experience in the real world of firearms , toughen the ---- up or look for the Wonderful World of Oz land of gun sales.

Rant off !

Besides the ignore it if it is higher than you want to pay, the following come into play:

- Guns in MA tend to price higher than elsewhere. Fewer FFLs (a lot fewer) than Free America, more red-tape, wasted time necessary to stay legal (ckg S/Ns with mfrs, determining legality of mags, gun, etc.), etc. drive up costs which drive up prices!

- Whoever thinks that guns lose 30% of their VALUE when the move beyond the dealer's door is dreaming, even in Free America. Many guns will sell used for very close to new prices even in a gun shop . . . now they may come with additional mags, speed-loaders, holsters, fancy grips, etc. or not. I was in KTP early last month and saw 2 H&K USP 45c handguns . . . the used one was $50 more than the new one! Don't know if it came with anything additional. But I can tell you that the prices of that gun were within $0-50 of what people and dealers commonly sell them for in MA (and they aren't on EOPS List so there are damn few for sale in MA).

- If you want to see obscenely high prices on new handguns that will make most guns listed on NES look like a "bargain", go shopping at BassPro!! Most seem at least $100-200 higher than most other shops in MA!

- So unless you know all the details of the deal (gunsmithed, new Apex trigger, additional mags and/or leather), you can't judge on price alone.

- It's true that dealers will buy back typically at 50% of what they feel they can sell the gun for, or take 15-20% on consignment where you dictate the price. But that doesn't reflect the true value of that gun. To me a used gun is no less valuable than a new one . . . it's just been broken in. A used car is a whole 'nother story . . . most well made guns don't wear out from normal use (not talking about that one guy in 100,000 gun owners who runs 1-5K rds/week thru his gun).

I've purchased two guns out of the NES classifieds. One was a non-compliant HK that someone had moved into the state with. The amount I paid was what I would have paid for a new one in a free state and it only had 100 rounds through it (basically new). It seemed fair to me.

The other was a Robinson XCR. Those have a long lead time on orders and I still paid below 80% of new cost. I have no complaints on that one either.

As the others said, if you don't like the price, make an offer or don't buy it.

If you want to see obscenely high prices on new handguns that will make most guns listed on NES look like a "bargain", go shopping at BassPro!! Most seem at least $100-200 higher than most other shops in MA!

There is a tendency among some sellers of used guns to think that their target audience is the person who would otherwise go to Bass Pro or another "full retail" shop and not to Four Seasons, CCG, AG or any of a number of shops that offer very competitive pricing.

I have bought a few guns from the classifieds here, but not lately.
Seems that most folks are awful proud of their used guns.
I will buy new if I can't save 20-25% with a used firearm.

The local gun shops seem to have better deals most of the time.
The classifieds are interesting to browse though.

Jack

Not everyone knows that little shop sells M&P's for under $500. In my area they want $600. Move north and the next shop wanted $575. Then further north $550. I drove to that shop and saved $110 from my local shop. I don't mind the drive anyway. Most of the high prices are the non MA compliant guns. I think most prices I see are about 25% off new. Most M&P's on here seem to be about $400 with some goodies. The $500 M&P will soon be $400 if they realy want to sell it. Remember some have added night sights and trigger jobs. Just be patient and what you want will show up at a fair price. Seems like the trades move faster; since you can let something go you may not want to try something new that wont cost any money.

Last edited:
...Do people actually pay these prices? I think that $500 for a used M & P when I can get one new for $500, $775 for a used M1100 shotgun that can be had for $50 less or $1050 for a used Kimber(fine you can't get it in state but that's MSRP!)...

Those used guns are just sitting people's safes waiting for someone to buy them, they're not pointed at your head saying "buy me or else!". People have a right to ask whatever they want for their gear, just like you have the right not to buy it.

On the volume of tactical, I think a lot of people rushed to buy a lot of stuff a couple years ago and are now realizing they do not shoot it and really needed the money for other stuff.

Barack Obama...best gun salesman in history! [rofl]

I know locally, the asking price is high because you know people are going to hammer you down in price.
Ask $500 for a $400 gun, because if you start out at $400, it's inevitable you'll be asked "what's wrong with it? I'll give you $300".

I've bought and sold several guns and parts here on NES for great prices. I find the other ads with the high prices to be entertaining. Sometimes they feature good photos so I do look at them but laugh at the prices. Like others have said if you don't like the price either make an offer or move on.

My personal favorite is the ammo some try and sell for double the store price! I've seen 50 round boxes of 9mm going 30 something bucks each for 115grn fmj target rounds! I think this ammo was purchased during the rush for outrageous prices and the sellers are trying to recoup most of what they lost in buying it.

I'm surprised at the prices asked in the classifieds section, but figure it's a MA thing. Not only just in the classifieds, dealers seem to be the same way. I was at a shop in Salem, NH looking a Walther P22 for the wife. Used gun was only $30 cheaper than new. His new price matched the cheapest internet price I could find, plus no FFL fees. I bought two guns that day, but left thinking the same thing why only a 10% savings on a used gun? Maybe it was a consignment piece.

Last edited:
I know locally, the asking price is high because you know people are going to hammer you down in price.
Ask $500 for a $400 gun, because if you start out at $400, it's inevitable you'll be asked "what's wrong with it? I'll give you $300".

Thanks for validating my point of view!

Typically, the point of selling something is to get as much as possible for it. You don't do that by listing a low price and going from there. It just doesn't work.

ETA: Still waiting to hear why AR's aren't practical.

Yeah the Obama Nazis never showed up to take them to the death camp. It might still be a little early to sell however. As to the prices, I have found that almost every private sale can be negotiatied a little bit. I have had a couple people jump at low offers I have made if the gun has been for sale for a while. I think people expect a counter offer and price it accordingly so that everyone walks away happy.

I have a few 30rnd NEW IN BAG ar15 mags I purchased for 30bucks, as special collectables. Want to buy one for same 30.00?, I realized I like my 20s and was one of the sheep in the buying spree a decade or so ago. Actually i'd take 25bucks ea. [wink] ......a guns/accessories are a tools, both should be used as such.

Buying a new gun is the same as buying a new car. The second you drive it off the lot it loses 30% of its value. It's the same with guns.

Sorry but I disagree, simply purchasing a firearm doesn't reduce it by 30%. Firing it will diminish it, but not as much as driving a car does for it's price. It's eventual barrel wear from many firings and cosmetic defects from handling that will bring it down. If someone can show me all these never fired used guns for 30% less in a gunstore, I'll be there to pick them up.

Anyone that deals with these items long enough should eventually come to this realization. That at the end of the day , the only real price that matters is what a given individual is willing to give you at that moment for said firearm. Then the ball is in your court . Cut and dry. sell it or not sell. If you think otherwise you are sadly mistaken. Anyone that pays absolutely top dollar for a firearm ( unless you decide you can't live without it ) or it's your Holy Grail is foolish. Why would you want to store someone elses items in your safe , without the possibility to at least come close to breaking even if and when you might decide to move them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom