Price needed for a M1 Navy Sleeve

watchman

NES Member
Need help with a price for an M1 Garand "Navy Sleeve" insert to convert 308 to 30-06. They are near impossible to find a price for and I have one never used I have to sell. Anyone know what they go for?

Thanks in advance!

I'd never hears of this, but Google turned up

From a link on the CMP forum.
So.....first response says its worth 10 bucks and the second says they can be unsafe, and that the navy abandoned the use of them and just replaced the barrels instead. 😂😂😂

Sure doesn't sound like the holy grail of m1 parts.

Last edited:
I believe the original Navy method involved cutting a ring into the .30-06 chamber, then firing a higher than normal pressure round to seat the sleeve. It would stay in there until it randomly decided to grab onto a piece of fired brass and get ejected from the rifle (generally unnoticed).

I know where there's a box of the inserts, the installation tools and the guy who made them.

i think I could have imagined what your post would be word for word if I gave it a little more time to dwell in the brain housing group.

you’re like the key master and your friend is the gatekeeper of M1 platform rifles. Does your friend have memoirs/notebooks with all the technical data he’s privy to? If not, is there any way you could convince him to write anything down?

i think I could have imagined what your post would be word for word if I gave it a little more time to dwell in the brain housing group.

you’re like the key master and your friend is the gatekeeper of M1 platform rifles. Does your friend have memoirs/notebooks with all the technical data he’s privy to? If not, is there any way you could convince him to write anything down?
In my experience he has this stuff memorized. I've never had him pull out a print or spec when talking about such things.
I believe the original Navy method involved cutting a ring into the .30-06 chamber, then firing a higher than normal pressure round to seat the sleeve. It would stay in there until it randomly decided to grab onto a piece of fired brass and get ejected from the rifle (generally unnoticed).
This method was designed as an answer to the chamber spacers popping out. A tool was designed to cut an anulus in the throat area of the 30-06 chamber, the spacer installed and then a proof round fired to disrupt spacer material into the anulus then final reamed. I believe this method was successful but was cost prohibitive compared to just re-barreling.

Not what it says if you read it
I think the general interpretation is that by putting the insert into the chamber you are converting the chamber (i.e. the rifle) from .30-06 to .308. If you put the insert on each round of .308 and then fired each one separately then you could say you were converting .308 cartridges to fire in a .30-06. But since the design is to fire fit the insert more or less permanently into the chamber, you really are converting the barrel from .30-06 to .308.

Not what it says if you read it
I did read it. Your converting a 30 06 to a 308 by fire forming the insert into the chamber. Thus converting the 30 06 rifle to a 308. Read instruction number 4 again....maybe multiple times.....say it out loud...... slowly.....until you understand. 🙄

Last edited:
I think the general interpretation is that by putting the insert into the chamber you are converting the chamber (i.e. the rifle) from .30-06 to .308. If you put the insert on each round of .308 and then fired each one separately then you could say you were converting .308 cartridges to fire in a .30-06. But since the design is to fire fit the insert more or less permanently into the chamber, you really are converting the barrel from .30-06 to .308.
It's not the "general interpetation" lol. Thats what the dang thing does.....convert a 30 06 rifle to a 308. 😂

Last edited:
Change the barrel, it is really the only safe way to do it. After all, your safety is worth the money to do it correctly.
Just remember what Ian McCollum said:
In addition, the gas port on the barrel needed to be enlarged. The M80 7.62 cartridge developed greater velocity than M2 .30-06, but had less pressure at the gas port, hence the larger port required. Both .0995 and .1065 inch gas ports were tested, with 0.1065 being found best for proper functioning of the rifle. However, when grenade launching was tested the 7.62 conversions were found to have dangerously high bolt opening velocity, and deemed unsafe.

Folks with commercially-made .308/7.62 Garand rifles should take note of this, as it applies to these rifles as well. It may be tempting to get some blanks and dummy grenades to launch for fun (the thought has certainly occurred to me) – but don’t! The M1 gas system when opened up for cycling with .308 produces too much pressure in this situation for safe operating.

Some of the bits from this endeavor.

1622072483185.png
There where also commercial sleeves made that could be removed with a broken case extractor which had a far greater tendency to eject with a fired round.

Last edited:
So I still don't understand, is that thing converting the rifle to fire 308 or is that thing enabling a 30.06 round to be fired out of a .308 Garand ?
the former. they relieve the 30.06 chamber to accept an insert that is designed to expand under pressure and replace the 30.06 shoulder geometry with that of 308.

the former. they relieve the 30.06 chamber to accept an insert that is designed to expand under pressure and replace the 30.06 shoulder geometry with that of 308.

So figured it was to convert a regular Garand to a Navy version.

What was the reason to convert during wartime to a 308, why not just get a whole Navy version rifle ?

What was the reason to convert during wartime to a 308, why not just get a whole Navy version rifle ?
That's what it is.

I think they used it while we were switching over to the M14 in some of the other branches, in an effort at ammo commonality. They also did some experiments with using detachable mags on it as well.

The Navy preferred to spend it's money on larger, grayer things and not small arms for ship armories so they kept their M1s while the Army was getting new M14s. This was a cost saving exercise they thought. It turned out that it took longer, was less reliable and cost more than simply re-barreling the M1s.

There were different methods used to secure the sleeve. The tool at the bottom of the picture I posted was inserted into the chamber, the 'flag' rotated into the right side lug recess and a single point threading bit cut threads into the neck of the chamber via the hex drive at the back end. The sleeve was driven home with the mandrel (top tool) and a high pressure proof round was fired to disrupt the sleeve into the threads to lock the sleeve in place and then the chamber was finish reamed for 7.62x51. This took too long so 'this guy I know' made a special thread tap to do the same job but with the barrel removed.

That's what it is.

I think they used it while we were switching over to the M14 in some of the other branches, in an effort at ammo commonality. They also did some experiments with using detachable mags on it as well.

These pictures are of an M1 magazine conversion concept done by H&R and presented to the Navy. It was rejected as being too costly...but sure is cool.
1622156936236.png
1622156971715.png
1622156998326.png

The garands where being repalced , 762 NATO was adopted and the navy new it would be the last to get the M14.
It was simply done to keep current inventory viable as the new NATO ammo came in faster than rifles chambered for it.

I did read it. Your converting a 30 06 to a 308 by fire forming the insert into the chamber. Thus converting the 30 06 rifle to a 308. Read instruction number 4 again....maybe multiple times.....say it out loud...... slowly.....until you understand. 🙄
Wasn't trying to be a dick about it when I said read it. I wouldn't have asked a question about something I know about because I don't need the satisfaction nor was I being flippant about "reading it". It reads to me as to the opposite so lets try one syllables for you in the future I was just asking for a reason.

The garands where being repalced , 762 NATO was adopted and the navy new it would be the last to get the M14.
It was simply done to keep current inventory viable as the new NATO ammo came in faster than rifles chambered for it.
Spunds like they played the odds to make their solution less costly. The inserts were not a reliable solution.....but they knew the chances of the US Navy needing main battle rifles in large quantities "for real" wqs nill to none anyway 😂😂😂 so used the inserts until m14 rifles were available. I mean....they were last to get them for the same reason

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom