previous total magazine shipping ban in Mass?

mikeyp

NES Member
One of my friends(he's been into this stuff longer than me, I never heard of it) said that previously in Mass, there was a total shipping ban on ANY mags(pre-ban or post-ban) and they had to be shipped in kit form, not built. Anyone know about this? When did it change?

some remotes sold/sell them as kits, but that's based off their own paranoia, not law. A few of those vendors did the same for CA. "mag rebuild kit". A lower version of the "solvent trap" lmao...

some remotes sold/sell them as kits, but that's based off their own paranoia, not law. A few of those vendors did the same for CA. "mag rebuild kit". A lower version of the "solvent trap" lmao...

Yeah, I remember for a while you could get a 30 round AR mag "rebuild kit"(haven't looked for a while) that was just a disassembled AR mag lol. But this like I said was a while ago

I don't remember the exact time frame and it could be exactly what you said it is vendor driven fear, but i remember about 2008-2009ish if you tried to buy mags (Even Compliant ones) online from a bunch of online retailers like, Sportsmansguide or cheaperthandirt, midwayUSA, etc.. as soon as you put in your shipping address their site wouldn't allow you to place the order due to shipping restrictions. i among many people at the gun club i was a member of thought this was due to some obscure law or regulation from the state that wouldn't allow complete mags to be shipped. but if you purchased a mag rebuilt kit, those would be shipped perfectly fine. What brought this up was i recently went to midway to order some glock parts and figured while i was there i would add a 10rnd g19 mag to the cart to see what would happen and i could order it no problem. so i was wondering what changed and when.

Sportsman's Guide won't even ship an unregulated item like a sling or cleaning kit if it's for a firearm that we can't have in Ma. I've tried several times to get them to stop sending me catalogs but they won't stop.

Hit him over the head with his red stapler.

officespace_111.jpg

Depends if seller thinks AG is going to swat them. I've had u notch sent to me a few times. I know of others getting the "rebuild kits". Those things are hillarious

I don't remember the exact time frame and it could be exactly what you said it is vendor driven fear, but i remember about 2008-2009ish if you tried to buy mags (Even Compliant ones) online from a bunch of online retailers like, Sportsmansguide or cheaperthandirt, midwayUSA, etc.. as soon as you put in your shipping address their site wouldn't allow you to place the order due to shipping restrictions. i among many people at the gun club i was a member of thought this was due to some obscure law or regulation from the state that wouldn't allow complete mags to be shipped. but if you purchased a mag rebuilt kit, those would be shipped perfectly fine. What brought this up was i recently went to midway to order some glock parts and figured while i was there i would add a 10rnd g19 mag to the cart to see what would happen and i could order it no problem. so i was wondering what changed and when.
All of these three were threatened by the AG and signed consent decrees and as some said they wouldn't ship much of anything to Mass. I've been in this game since the mid-1970s and studying the real gun laws of the state ever since then, so I would have known if there was a law/regulation and there wasn't.

Some dealers made up their own rules as to what they would and wouldn't do.

^^^^^^^^^^ This!

I don't live in the People's Republic, but so far as I know as long as the magazines are 10 rds or less, they are perfectly legal for anyone to own and don't require an FID/LTC to purchase. If you're not able to purchase anything online because the retailer won't ship to Mass, it's a retailer specific situation. There's no law that bans them from shipping magazines, but retailers are becoming more and more leery of doing business with people in Anti-gun states.

I can get anything I want on MidwayUSA shipped except cap and ball revolvers. Cabela's has no issue, sellers on gunbroker no issue.

I thought all this “mag” kit stuff came into play during the AWB?
You could buy repair parts for your grandfathered mags. The mag in parts was just parts. Not a mag until assembled?

I thought all this “mag” kit stuff came into play during the AWB?
You could buy repair parts for your grandfathered mags. The mag in parts was just parts. Not a mag until assembled?

Even a couple years ago(haven't checked lately) 20-30 rd mags on the auction site were "parts kits" shipped everywhere. Which is what I thought he was talking about but he said no, it was from longer(see above)

When I lived in MA, I may or may not have had a dozen or so brand new P-Mags sent to me as “rebuild kits”.

Not sure how I was supposed to use a pile of P-Mag parts to rebuild prebans [laugh]

I don't live in the People's Republic, but so far as I know as long as the magazines are 10 rds or less, they are perfectly legal for anyone to own and don't require an FID/LTC to purchase. If you're not able to purchase anything online because the retailer won't ship to Mass, it's a retailer specific situation. There's no law that bans them from shipping magazines, but retailers are becoming more and more leery of doing business with people in Anti-gun states.

I can get anything I want on MidwayUSA shipped except cap and ball revolvers. Cabela's has no issue, sellers on gunbroker no issue.
Limited adults ahould stick to making screw slots. No offense.

Where in MGL that it says it is illegal to sell hi-cap mags? I see where it is says it is illegal to own them.

Where in MGL that it says it is illegal to sell hi-cap mags? I see where it is says it is illegal to own them.
140 MGL 131M prohibits the sale or possession of HCFDs by anyone who is not licensed as a dealer by the state of MA.

IIRC, the reason many online retailers don’t sell HCFDs to MA residents is because the AG badgered them into agreeing, in writing, that this applies to them, and that therefore they cannot sell, or offer to sell, HCFDs to MA residents.

ETA: this is in reference to post-ban mags only.

I remember rebuild kits. ALLEGEDY, what you could do is sawzall your existing mag, buy a kit, rebuild it and call it a replacement for the old mag. Buy a $10 beater hi-cap AR mag that had no feed lips anymore and replace it with a brandy-new one. Ditto for a NFML/NDF Glock mag.

There is two sides to this (forget legality, but Len will surely reply and tell me if this was even legal, MA-wise):

1. You're never ever ever going to get "caught" with a post-ban hicap mag anyhow - WTF cares???

2. They're gonna nail you for something. Having a Vietnam era 20-rd mag cut in 2 isn't going to help b/c they are going to F you right in your B-hole.

Personally: I'm hoping 2-3 SC cases make all of these rules completely meaningless. Because there is no other way to solve this problem. :(

EDIT:

I was watching (rarely) 60Min about a decade ago. Maybe less. They were interviewing the Pope of the Orthodox Church. Back in the 60's, the Muslims pulled a similar Masshat move: They GO church requires the "Pope" to be trained (or born - I forget) in Turkey. Muslims took over teh country. Allowed the GO church to exist but closed the seminaries. Hence, after X years, no more Turkish GO candidates. Boom - GONE!

I found it rather interesting. Very long look on fixing your problem. We are 25 years since the original ban, right? How many mags gone? In the next 20, how many more??? The Democrats and the Muslims use the same playbook.

I remember rebuild kits. ALLEGEDY, what you could do is sawzall your existing mag, buy a kit, rebuild it and call it a replacement for the old mag. Buy a $10 beater hi-cap AR mag that had no feed lips anymore and replace it with a brandy-new one. Ditto for a NFML/NDF Glock mag.

There is two sides to this (forget legality, but Len will surely reply and tell me if this was even legal, MA-wise):

1. You're never ever ever going to get "caught" with a post-ban hicap mag anyhow - WTF cares???

2. They're gonna nail you for something. Having a Vietnam era 20-rd mag cut in 2 isn't going to help b/c they are going to F you right in your B-hole.

Personally: I'm hoping 2-3 SC cases make all of these rules completely meaningless. Because there is no other way to solve this problem. :(

EDIT:

I was watching (rarely) 60Min about a decade ago. Maybe less. They were interviewing the Pope of the Orthodox Church. Back in the 60's, the Muslims pulled a similar Masshat move: They GO church requires the "Pope" to be trained (or born - I forget) in Turkey. Muslims took over teh country. Allowed the GO church to exist but closed the seminaries. Hence, after X years, no more Turkish GO candidates. Boom - GONE!

I found it rather interesting. Very long look on fixing your problem. We are 25 years since the original ban, right? How many mags gone? In the next 20, how many more??? The Democrats and the Muslims use the same playbook.

I always just replaced the guts, then the body. It’s weird how the bodies always cracked not long after the springs shit the bed.

Back
Top Bottom