Preview of Rachel Rollins New Policies

Thirwell1216

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Rachel Rollins would let this guy get on the bus. How her policies unfold will be interesting

Reactions: AHM

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
She's Suffolk County DA or Sheriff or something. She's stated she won't prosecute most "minor" crimes. It's sort of the opposite of broken-window-theory. In fact, it's sort of break-a-window theory.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I dont get it and who is Rachel ?

Looks like video was staged,I dont think an ATM machine is that easy to move lol
That's probably newark or something not surprised if it was real... . [rofl]

Woodsy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
In the north woods likely hunting or trapping
The problem I see with her policies is that now she has set up areas of the state where the applicability of law is different. A defense lawyer will have a field day on this because now the State Laws mean one thing where you are standing today but if you walk a few feet in the same state they are different. I can’t see that holding up. Unless it is used to make the entire state become subservient to what this douche has put in place. I do find it humorous that since she removed prosecuting resiting arrests that there has been a spike in Charges of assaulting an officer. I’m happy to see they found a way around that

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Look at the list of things she won't prosecute .

Shoplifting = Open season on retailers.

Breaking and entering to get out of the weather = I get caught robbing your house and get a free pass because it's cold outside.

Malicious destruction of private property . How the f*ck can you call that a victimless crime ?

She's a freaking nut.

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Breaking and entering to get out of the weather = I get caught robbing your house and get a free pass because it's cold outside.

Malicious destruction of private property . How the f*ck can you call that a victimless crime ?

She's a freaking nut.
The specific crime she's not prosecuting re: B&E to get out of the cold is "B&E to get out of the cold and no property damage", G.L. ch. c. 266 §§ 16, 16A, 18, and 19.

http://files.suffolkdistrictattorney.com/The-Rachael-Rollins-Policy-Memo.pdf

I'm also willing to bet that wanton and malicious destruction of property gets overused. Like kids smashing Halloween pumpkins. Also, her policy memo states that there's going to be "restorative justice" for destruction of property, presumably meaning repayment to the victim or literal mending of fences. So going with the "right the wrong" methodology rather than the "you payz da kawt yaw feez" method of Mass justice.

The ones that bug me are not prosecuting trespassing*, threats**, larceny, shoplifting, and possession + intent to distribute.

*Trespassing is absolutely used to mess with certain "unlikeable" defendants but there's a clear victim - the property owner. Property owners have the right to be undisturbed.
**Her policy memo clears up that if there's an obvious situation where the victim really is in danger, there's going to be a prosecution. So there would be no hypothetical cyberbullying prosecutions for saying "LOL u suck im gonna kill u" on a Facebook post but there would be if there's a legitimate threat, like two neighbors arguing and there's a damned good chance one might shoot the other.

AHM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How can this clown get away with this???
Uh, because this is precisely what Suffolk County wants?
(Unquote).

Also, her policy memo states that there's going to be "restorative justice" for destruction of property, presumably meaning repayment to the victim or literal mending of fences. So going with the "right the wrong" methodology rather than the "you payz da kawt yaw feez" method of Mass justice.
Go back and read it again.

"Restorative justice" (e.g., a heartfelt apology) is an alternative to restitution.
Instead of prosecuting, these cases should be ... where appropriate,
diverted and treated as a civil infraction for which community service is satisfactory,
restitution is satisfactory or
engagement with appropriate community-based no-cost programming,
job training or schooling is satisfactory.
"Restitution" "takes the individual’s ability to pay into consideration"/"[is] calibrated to an individual’s ability to pay"/"[is an] agreement that is obtainable given the individual’s means and abilities".

And like they say:
Your stolen/damaged property in one hand,
"restitution calibrated to an individual's ability to pay" in the other,
and see which one fills up faster.​

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
She took a page out of Coakley's book. Despite the fact that these laws are on the books based on passed legislation, she'll unilaterally decide what the law really is. Same shit that State's Attorney Foxx pulled in Chicago. Faker raised some opposition initially, but he's been cucked. Again.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0

She's a freaking nut.
Not just cold. How about breaking into a house with AC during the summer? Or when it's too sunny?

I love her dig at Charlie Faker. I’m sure he is rocking back and forth that a Democrat has a low opinion of him. After all, look at all that he has done for them.
Ahhhm a Damnacrat and aaahhhm voddin fuh Chahhhlie Baykah. LOL

Uh, because this is precisely what Suffolk County wants?
(Unquote).

Go back and read it again.

"Restorative justice" (e.g., a heartfelt apology) is an alternative to restitution.
Instead of prosecuting, these cases should be ... where appropriate,
diverted and treated as a civil infraction for which community service is satisfactory,
restitution is satisfactory or
engagement with appropriate community-based no-cost programming,
job training or schooling is satisfactory.
"Restitution" "takes the individual’s ability to pay into consideration"/"[is] calibrated to an individual’s ability to pay"/"[is an] agreement that is obtainable given the individual’s means and abilities".

And like they say:
Your stolen/damaged property in one hand,
"restitution calibrated to an individual's ability to pay" in the other,
and see which one fills up faster.​
Oh that's good. Instead of just prosecuting these people, we'll instead spend 3-5x the time "restoring" them. Brilliant!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's hypocritical.

If she really is for not prosecuting low level offences she wouldn't have prosecuted those morons who got busted in Boston putting up the white power posters. According to almost every news source I got spammed with (on facebook so forgive me here) 3 kids were busted putting up anti-immigration posters, but couldn't be charged with that, but somehow the police managed to shake them down for a set of brass knuckles, a knife, and one "slapping the hand of a police officer". Seems to me, in a city that routinely lets 4th time illegal firearms possession felons walk that maybe these 3 kids should get a little bit of slack before the system ruins some lives. I get they got busted doing something stupid, but stupid isn't illegal (sadly), and you start sacking these kids with felony A+B on a police officer and you're going to be reinforcing their position and severely limiting their employment opportunities- neither of which is going to help steer these kids towards more productive lives.

MachineHead

NES Member
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
5 deep pick one of those lovely Newbury St stores. Jaaackpot. If not? Smeeh, no jail time for the effort. Why should cops even respond?
Imagine this all over Newbury Street and all the idiots who voted for this Grimace getting exactly what they voted for. View: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155745816711482&id=160328526481&refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2FABC30%2Fvideos%2F10155745816711482%2F&locale2=en_US&_rdr

Thieves steal from Apple Store at Fresno's Fashion Fair in seconds

Oh, and this would be the reasoning: View: https://youtu.be/LXZfuC0vi4g

Dadstoys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But , but it's not fair that their parents would have to spend thousands to defend them in court .

amm5061

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Open season at Boston stores!
I'm willing to bet there's a big, unwritten caveat to this whole plan of hers. You know, like when they put an asterisk next to a sentence and then in the footnotes expound upon it?

*This policy only applies to People Of Color.

Don't forget why she's doing this: because something like 65% of shoplifting convictions are against white people, so it clearly proves that people of color are disproportionately prosecuted for the crime. [rolleyes]

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sh** going to get real.

Drug dealing is now legal!!!

So are drunk children.
I love how right wing people complain about the media and then listen to the media without any second-guessing whatsoever. "Drug dealing" is going to be prosecuted. What isn't going to be prosecuted is being in possession of drugs in addition to say baggies or pipes or the like. I'd link to the policy memo and give a page cite but the Suffolk DA took it down (I should email them right now for a copy...).

Again, RI has had something similar in place since 1976 and it hasn't went all Zimbabwe on us yet. Stop listening to the prolefeed.

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
I love how right wing people complain about the media and then listen to the media without any second-guessing whatsoever. "Drug dealing" is going to be prosecuted. What isn't going to be prosecuted is being in possession of drugs in addition to say baggies or pipes or the like. I'd link to the policy memo and give a page cite but the Suffolk DA took it down (I should email them right now for a copy...).

Again, RI has had something similar in place since 1976 and it hasn't went all Zimbabwe on us yet. Stop listening to the prolefeed.
Broken windows theory - Wikipedia

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool. So what? How's that refute what I said? Says nothing about how Rhode Island has dealt with diversion of first-time non-violent offenders for the last 40+ years. The closest example to us on that page is Lowell. Lowell is a post-industrial slum. Lowell is a product of 19th Century industrialism + liberalism: industrialists built the town to house mill employees. No mills means no work. Boston and Lowell are nothing like each other. Boston is a port city, transit hub, and educational mecca. Lowell is a worn-out mill town.

I was in Boston on Monday and I didn't see panic in the streets. And if this does actually become a major issue, the voters in Suffolk County can elect a new DA next election cycle.

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
Cool. So what? How's that refute what I said? Says nothing about how Rhode Island has dealt with diversion of first-time non-violent offenders for the last 40+ years. The closest example to us on that page is Lowell. Lowell is a post-industrial slum. Lowell is a product of 19th Century industrialism + liberalism: industrialists built the town to house mill employees. No mills means no work. Boston and Lowell are nothing like each other. Boston is a port city, transit hub, and educational mecca. Lowell is a worn-out mill town.

I was in Boston on Monday and I didn't see panic in the streets. And if this does actually become a major issue, the voters in Suffolk County can elect a new DA next election cycle.
I honestly don't know about RI.

We shall see what happens.

Look at San Francisco. They have a similar policy and that place is a cess pool of scum and villainy. Open drug use and feces everywhere. Lots of car break-ins.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Reptile's point is that NYC was a s-hole for 20+ years until broken-window theory was implemented on the subway and on the streets. Inside of a decade, it was the safest city around. It's one of the few large-scale solutions that actually shows positive effects. Unlike Rollins' "let's be kind" bullspit. Her policies are local policies - like Cop X decides he's going to engage instead of writing tickets and busting people. But making them county-wide??? It spells disaster. It's only half of an equation. But broken-window??? You don't need any other order than "do not let people jump the turnstiles. Period."

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I honestly don't know about RI.

We shall see what happens.

Look at San Francisco. They have a similar policy and that place is a cess pool of scum and villainy. Open drug use and feces everywhere. Lots of car break-ins.
Reptile's point is that NYC was a s-hole for 20+ years until broken-window theory was implemented on the subway and on the streets. Inside of a decade, it was the safest city around. It's one of the few large-scale solutions that actually shows positive effects. Unlike Rollins' "let's be kind" bullspit. Her policies are local policies - like Cop X decides he's going to engage instead of writing tickets and busting people. But making them county-wide??? It spells disaster. It's only half of an equation. But broken-window??? You don't need any other order than "do not let people jump the turnstiles. Period."
San Fran and NYC were dumps before and largely aren't going to change (see DeBlasio versus NYPD). Literally one of the main reasons why people went to SF in the 60s was to be a hippie and do drugs. Now that generation has moved on and out, but that's the city's reputation. And NYC, well, we all know about NYC.

My opinion is this: if you read the policy memo, it explains that prosecution/not prosecuting is doing to be done on a factor-based, factual analysis by prosecutors. Meaning it takes discretion away from individual prosecutors and creates a more transparent system. Reading it made some sense (if I get a copy I will post an attachment). Cops can still arrest for stepping on cracks on sidewalks, but the cases will be dumped or diverted.

I'm also of the "wait and see" mindset. If it goes well, great. If it doesn't, vote her and her policies out.

Top Bottom