• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Preventing rust/corrosion

Looking for help preventing rust and pitting and such with long term storage of guns and their magazines. What works? Oil? Grease? What brands does everyone use? Are there any good rust removers that won't harm the metal?

Everyday storage, I used CLP (Breakfree). For long term storage, I use grease.

I also keep 3 rechargable Remington Dehumidifiers in my safe.

Some time in the last, I'll say two years, someone on this Board did a pretty comprehensive bit of testing. The results were surprising, as I recall: a number of "name" products fared poorly, and one (RIG?) stood out. But don't trust my memory; see if you can find the thread.

Some time in the last, I'll say two years, someone on this Board did a pretty comprehensive bit of testing. The results were surprising, as I recall: a number of "name" products fared poorly, and one (RIG?) stood out. But don't trust my memory; see if you can find the thread.

if I remember correctly the best bang for the buck was motor oil.

Thanks for all the input.

The best was motor oil? Say I wanna tuck something away for a decade or two and pull it out in similar condition to when I left it, all I have to do is soak it in motor oil?

The best I found was synthetic CV grease (auto), with white lithium grease a close second. Several other products did pretty well. Some well-known ones did not. Here are the 2 threads describing the tests I did with the summary of results:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22003
Here are the results after 18 days:
Clean
Valvoline Synthetic CV Grease

Very Lightly Spotted
Hoppe's #9 cleaner
10W30 motor oil

Lightly Spotted
BreakFree CLP
Zero Friction Lube

Spotted
TopSaver
MP-7 Gun Cleaner

Heavily Spotted
Paste Wax
STP Silicon lube spray

Rusted
Hoppe's Lubricating Oil
Birchwood-Casey PermaBlue
PermaBlue w/ Hoppe's Lubricating Oil
none (control)
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22692
It's been 1 month for this test. I'm going to declare it complete. Here are the final test results

Very Lightly Spotted
Valvoline Synthetic CV Grease

Lightly Spotted
White Lithium Grease

Spotted
Weapon Shield
AMSOil Metal Protector-Heavy Duty
WD40

Heavily Spotted
Hoppe's #9 cleaner
Zero Friction Lube
MP-7 Gun Oil
Dextron III
BoeShield T9
Blaster Corrosion-Stop

Very Heavily Spotted
ATF +3

Rusted
Rust Free
Otis CLP
none (control)

Pilgrim: that may have been what I was thinking of, though I seem to recall a test that ran in several stages, one of which was much longer than 72 hours.

RIP RIG.

Back
Top Bottom