• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Pretty good video about "Freezing up" when you're under attack

GlockJock

NES Member
There was more to story about why Deputy Dinkheller acted the way he did. I'm not sure if Captain Quickbuck went into it because I only made it a minute into video. There are much better people out there who study violence, behavior prediction, and human performance under pressure.

There was more to story about why Deputy Dinkheller acted the way he did. I'm not sure if Captain Quickbuck went into it because I only made it a minute into video. There are much better people out there who study violence, behavior prediction, and human performance under pressure.
Yeah I went a bit further than a minute and Quickbuck seemed more Interested in hearing himself barf out sentences then getting to his point.

I think Front Sight used that video in one of their pitches. Looks very familiar. Very creepy/disturbing video if I remember correctly (stopped watching.)

Yeah I went a bit further than a minute and Quickbuck seemed more Interested in hearing himself barf out sentences then getting to his point.

The fact that the video was embedded in such a way that you can't fast forward was a dead giveaway, but I still went a few minutes in... the guy was definitely more interested in hearing himself talk than getting to the point. I was waiting for the sales pitch the entire time - "for just $19.95 we'll tell you how to be the perfect armed citizen!" - but just couldn't take it anymore.

More info:

Ad for a 7 DVD set for $150.

http://concealedcarryuniversity.org...cealed-carry-guide-to-effective-self-defense/

http://concealedcarryconfidence.org/ccgtesf/

Been watching for 80 minutes.

This is an infomercial - but I like infomercials.

This looks pretty good and shares lots of concepts from real training classes.

I think it would be a good training refresher or an introduction to training for a person who may wish to carry concealed.

Disclaimer: I am a sucker for training classes, seminars, DVD's, and books.

It seems like the author put together all sorts of concepts from a dozen or so highly respected instructors.

I would buy this and sell it for 1/2 price, 2 months later if any NES'ers want to go in with me.

This DVD also comes with a lifetime 100% money back guarantee.

It's $150.

Call me a sucker, but I bought this DVD set. (used paypal)

If I don't want to keep it, it seems to have lots of basic information for a n00b that I can loan it to.

I already have a couple people in mind.

Last edited:
The things talked about in the first 5 mins of the video and the mistakes the officer made were just what we were taught in a Combat Focus Shooting class I took the past 2 days and how people react under stress.

I came into the thread a bit salty, and I apologize. I know that you posted this with the best of intentions, and I respect your enthusiasm OP. I'm a skeptical mother****er. Don't waste your money on this video series imo... You want to blow roughly the same amount of $$ and get way more value in my opinion? Here's how to get a shit ton of info in a few easy steps, and it's probably what I'm going to do shortly

1. Buy the 'Gift of Fear' by Gavin DeBeckr'. Read it MULTIPLE times. The information in that book is single-handedly some of the best material I've read in my entire career (spanning teaching martial arts full-time, working for DYS, and Law Enforcement) regarding predictive violence and human behavior. I still use his concepts in my work and personal life. I've probably read the book 5 times now.

2. Get an online subscription to Panteo (20$ a month) and watch a crap-ton of videos from pretty much every big name in firearms/tactical stuff right now. Some good... some bad... but I bet you get your moneys worth.

3. Did I mention to get Gift of Fear and read it?

- - - Updated - - -

4. Take some kind of class with force on force (airsoft), or verbal descalation techniques, or something with role playing. Get comfortable with how it feels to have someone not listen to you, scream at you, put their hands on you. You can't experience any of this through DVDs... or Tactical daydreaming.

In fact... If there are 11 people here who want to go in on an account, PM me. 13.75 per person, and I'll grab a year subscription to it. Says you can watch whatever you want, as much as you want. If we get booted off for bandwidth... we're only out 13.75 lol

Here's the online catalog: http://panteaoproductions.com/dvds

Up to 5 committed already.

Last edited by a moderator:
I came into the thread a bit salty, and I apologize. I know that you posted this with the best of intentions, and I respect your enthusiasm OP. I'm a skeptical mother****er. Don't waste your money on this video series imo... You want to blow roughly the same amount of $$ and get way more value in my opinion? Here's how to get a shit ton of info in a few easy steps, and it's probably what I'm going to do shortly

1. Buy the 'Gift of Fear' by Gavin DeBeckr'. Read it MULTIPLE times. The information in that book is single-handedly some of the best material I've read in my entire career (spanning teaching martial arts full-time, working for DYS, and Law Enforcement) regarding predictive violence and human behavior. I still use his concepts in my work and personal life. I've probably read the book 5 times now.

2. Get an online subscription to Panteo (20$ a month) and watch a crap-ton of videos from pretty much every big name in firearms/tactical stuff right now. Some good... some bad... but I bet you get your moneys worth.

3. Did I mention to get Gift of Fear and read it?

- - - Updated - - -

4. Take some kind of class with force on force (airsoft), or verbal descalation techniques, or something with role playing. Get comfortable with how it feels to have someone not listen to you, scream at you, put their hands on you. You can't experience any of this through DVDs... or Tactical daydreaming.

RD: the enthusiasm wasn't really enthusiasm, just that I had never seen this and thought I'd share with anyone who,like me, hadn't seen the video and who, once they did, realized "Damn", this poor man's panic cost him.
I didn't post this with thought that I'd buy the thing or recommend it to anyone for purchase...in fact, I basically stated "I know this guy is hocking or huckstering some program, or DVD, or website subscription for $$ " etc...

I actually didn't sit all the way through it ether, but what I did glean from it was what I teach young, inexperienced gun carriers with regard to "what if" situations...

That when the sh*t hits the fan, whether it's in a gunfight, a knife fight, a fistfight, or any stressful "situation"...the number one thing you need to do, need to remember, need to focus on is....DO NOT PANIC.

It was PANIC that killed this poor cop, plain and simple. He panicked ...part of his stress undoubtedly in apprehension over being on tape always, and the threat of prosecution for manslaughter/murder (and/or civil suit) by some lawyer/DA, etc (I can well imagine what a cop in a Massachusetts town or Statie has flash through his mind when reaching to draw his weapon, the "consequences" etc. Hell, most legal gun owners in CommieWealth of Mass would probably (undoubtedly?) have the "ramifications" of a decision to use lethal force in their mind somewhere, given this hellhole, pinko-liberal, criminal-coddling, puke state we live in, should they ever draw their weapon.

I honestly and sincerely would NOT let it cloud my mind of hinder my actions (and yes, YES, I know this would be the case, that I'd be calm, I'm 100% sure because I've already been in "situations" and many of them), but I can't help but think that this cop MIGHT have been tried, convicted, and sued in civil court had he killed this guy, on videotape.

That probably entered this cop's mind at some point, so now he's even further jammed up mentally, and prone to making a bad decision. In this case, his bad decision was to...panic. He sprayed his entire mag in panic, and the act of reloading gave the perp the time needed to kill this (probably) fine, good man, parent, husband...

I posted it more for the actual incident video part of it, to give people the advice to be cool, clam, collected, and act accordingly. That panic will kill (YOU, potentially!). And I should have posted this as a segment on "what NOT to do in an emergency/sh*t hitting the fan moment" and then I should have followed it with a link to the video reenactment (plus actual video) of one of the absolute best examples of how TO act under pressure, the US air jet landed by Chesley Sullenberger...in the Hudson River, barely missing one of the bridges that crosses it, landing it perfectly without flipping it, and saving the lives of ALL the passengers, plus his own.
And what struck me and still does, to this day (I work in a job very similar to air traffic control) was the absolute calm and relaxed, confident tone in the pilot's voice.

Contrast that with the way the cop in the video was screaming, his heart rate increasing rapidly, blood pounding, mind racing, bang-bang-bang-bang - round after round (his entire load, all but one) missing everything. One shot (surprisingly, given how hyped up he was) hits the attacker but doesn't drop him (or even seem to affect him in any way). He - wildly - emptied his weapon, and cost him his life.

Sullenberger was so amazingly calm and collected. "Nah, Teterboro's not an option. Not gonna make that....Have to set it down in the water" (and at that point you can hear the incredulous air-traffic almost wet HIMSELF with a "Um, US1549 - repeat that please"...)

I always bring up Sullenberger when teaching or advising anyone "What to do IF..."

First thing to do is to take a deep breath, exhale, and stay friggin calm. Second thing is....repeat number one!

It can save your life.

You do know that he was reprimanded prior to this incident for pulling out gun too quickly, and being too 'aggressive' right? According to court case, he had only drawn his baton until the guy pulled out rifle, and even then only shot after Brannan shot first. Yes, panic played a part, but not the biggest part. He was following orders... which were: lighten up. Hey. At least he didn't go home safe. ;)

Anyhow. This case is taught in pretty much every single academy in the country, and is a staple in Use of Force classes. I agree with all of the stuff you said, except the idea that it's as simple as 'breathe' and 'don't panic'. Sully in particular had a shitload of crisis management training, and I believe was an instructor.

You do know that he was reprimanded prior to this incident for pulling out gun too quickly, and being too 'aggressive' right? According to court case, he had only drawn his baton until the guy pulled out rifle, and even then only shot after Brannan shot first. Yes, panic played a part, but not the biggest part. He was following orders... which were: lighten up. Hey. At least he didn't go home safe. ;)

Anyhow. This case is taught in pretty much every single academy in the country, and is a staple in Use of Force classes. I agree with all of the stuff you said, except the idea that it's as simple as 'breathe' and 'don't panic'. Sully in particular had a shitload of crisis management training, and I believe was an instructor.

No, I wasn't aware of the reprimand, but that's hardly surprising.

Also the general public, 90% of whom have never been in any sort of fight - fist or gun - have been conditioned by Hollywood to think you can subdue a struggling, fighting opponent with one or two punches....(the same nitwits that think "Why didn't the mean-sprited police officer just shoot the gun out of my cousin the gang-banger's hand instead of shooting him center mass - as he has been trained to do etc etc)

Do you think that, if this were Massachusetts, had the cop calmly shot the perp, on video, that some Harvard trained nitwit lawyer couldn't convince a moonbat jury that the shooting was "excessive force" etc etc? Just wondering, cuz, looking at it over and over, that ran through my mind - the nitwit Massachusetts grand jury factor..I believe that of any 12 people you pull out of a Massachusetts jury pool, at least 2 of them - maybe more - would be classified as moonbat nitwits!

But overall just gave me a feeling that the cop cost himself dearly, even with the prior reprimand that I wasn't aware of, by hesitating and by not being calm. That's all.

My two cents, you can watch a hundred videos and read a hundred cool books but the fact ia unless you're trained for that kind of situation 90+% will freeze and panic.

Take protective or defense course at sig sauer and go thru a scenario with low light , other firearms going off, moving targey, you moving etc. And youll get some kind of idea of.the situation. Or join the service and spend some time I Afghanistan and that will sharpen your reflexes ! ;)

Sent from the blind

^^^ THIS

I took martial arts for 4 years, back when it was full-contact. Can't seem to find school now where it's OK to even look at your opponent let alone beat on 'em. Over the second two years I sustained a broken rib, one near KO, and a compound fracture in my left hand (did get a 2nd place for state, and a 3rd for regionals -- certainly not the best, but back in the day I could really dish it back). None of that prepared me for a real confrontation though. When it happened, I froze stiff as a prom night hard-on. Oddly enough when the other guy threw a punch the block came out of my subconscious and man there is nothing like a real adrenaline rush.

Next thing I know I had a death grip on his punching arm and luckily he didn't venture with is left. Was glad I didn't have to hit back. For those of you who know Leopard, the (risky) move is to block a right with a right, get on the outside, slight your arm down to your opponent's wrist, grip, pull (to straighten out the arm) and with your left, push in to snap the elbow (and then become a PP for life - haha)

I don't think any amount of training truly gets rid of the fear if you're prone to it, but I think good solid training allows your subconscious to do the work while the rest of you preps a load of brownie mix in your briefs.

Back
Top Bottom