Pressure Booster

I'm wondering if pressure boosters are legal in mass? I'm relatively new to gun ownership and read they help with the Walther P22 reduce FTF FTE. They looks like suppressers so I'm just wondering if its a no no. Thanks

I'm using Federal bulk and still in my break in period however I'm looking at a second so I can shoot my p22 and let a range guest use the seconds. There is a used one for sale out of state online that has a booster included. I'm wondering if this is a gun I can purchase or if I have to keep looking

I had a p22 and never could get it to run on any kind of ammo. both mags, and it continued after a trip to the repair center traded it in on a buckmark. that pistol flat out runs.

back to the original question :) , i'm still wondering if a pressure booster is legal

WTF is a pressure booster? If you are talking about the thing that goes with a can (like a LID) I doubt it will work without the can attached.

On something like a P22 any such attachment is probably worth more then the gun is anyways, so it's probably a fools errand.

It's not illegal in MA if it's not a suppressor.

-Mike

Thanks, I found this link, http://www.spentbrass.com/pistol/walther/p22/high-capacity-magazine-drum.php
It seems it was developed to complement this 45 round drum, the walther p22 I was looking at was on gunbroker included the booster but not the 45 round drum, the Viridian green laser and two mags, it was great price for all that was included however it was a seller with 0 feedback so I decided to pass

The cheaper option would be trying various kinds of ammo, especially high velocity (reaad higher pressure) ammo.

The better option for the long run would be to take swampy's advice , sell it and pick up a Ruger.

There are several threads on P-22's with issues. Good luck.

Totally agree on trying a range of ammo types.
But keep in mind that the pistol can fail to cycle on either too-light or too-hot loads.
Plus too-hot loads can stress the pistol, which is not the most rugged one around.
Find the lightest load that cycles reliably.

I've got the standard barrel and mine runs fine with CCI Minimags and bulk Federal. The bulk Blazer (which is made by CCI and has a similar velocity rating to Minimags) sucks. It's definitely susceptible to limp-wristing, but I've gone through hundreds of Federal rounds without a gun/ammo induced problem.

I'm looking into smoothing out the hammer a little (light filing/polishing). There's a definitely "lump" when the slide cycles caused by the hammer sticking up a little too high. You can feel it when you pull the slide back and I imagine it's a big part of the problem.

+1 for trying different ammo.

If you need a threaded barrel for the "booster", I would guess that it's not legal if you can unscrew the can.

All P22s have a threaded barrel, and a threaded barrel is not illegal on a pistol in MA, unless the pistol triggers the AWB, and the P22 certainly doesn't.

-Mike

FWIW the boosters I see for sale for these are not NFA devices, so I don't see any reason why they would be illegal. Get one if you really want one.

-Mike

CCI MiniMag will run all day long in a P22 with no issues.

Yes and people don't realize there are TWO recoil springs for the P22, one for high velocity and one for low velocity ammo. If you try shooting low velocity with the high velocity recoil spring in you are just asking for headaches. Use the appropriate recoil spring for the type ammo you have and you'll have little to no problems. I shoot CCI Mini Mag AND Aguilla with out incident (well maybe a failure to feed on occasion with the Aguilla, but I'm not so sure that's a gun issue) but I take the time to change the recoil spring.

Last edited:
Yes and people don't realize there are TWO recoil springs for the P22, one for high velocity and one for low velocity ammo.

This must be a relatively new thing because the ones I've seen only had one spring with them.

-Mike

I know the sig mosquito comes with 2 springs, but I didn't get an extra with my P22?
I haven't had one issue with mine, and the barrel isn't threaded.. I'm running the CCI's and some crappy winchester it hasn't jammed "yet" .....

Last edited:
I haven't had one issue with mine, and the barrel isn't threaded

So you got a California P22? I've never seen one of those in person. All the ones with the nut on the barrel are threaded.

-Mike

After a few thousands rounds of break-in mine runs like a clock... [laugh]

Federal bulk seems to be good enough as was Winchester SuperX. CCI is always too expensive

Keep the feed ramp clean (brush it every 200-300 rounds)...

I did do some polishing on the disconnector interface to the slide - that helped, but mostly it was just running gobs of rounds through it...

This must be a relatively new thing because the ones I've seen only had one spring with them.

-Mike

Mine was purchased less than a year ago. And it's weird because the low velocity spring is hidden under the top foam layer in the factory Tupperware but it *is* addressed in the owners manual. I'm sure you could buy one from Sig and they would probably fit. Haven't tried it though.

Last edited:
i have 525 rounds through it at this point and its running pretty good after i did some of the recommended P22 Bible mods. I ran around a 100 rounds after i did the mods and the FTE and FTF were cut down noticeable, i think its just a gun with a really long break in. I just looked in my box and under the foam on the top and bottom and I have no second spring :/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom