Prescription glasses/shooting glasses

I tried searching but couldn’t find exactly what I wasn’t looking for. I thought this has been discussed (possibly many times) though so if anybody wants to link to the discussion, I won’t take offense.

I’m in need of a new pair of prescription eyeglasses. I wear glasses all day (unless I’m reading). Is there a lens type that I can buy that will allow me to use my glasses for shooting as well? Even if the lens is of whatever quality it needs to be, I wonder about size of the lens as well as my prescription glass lenses are much smaller than my shooting glasses, so I doubt that this option would even exist.

TLDR: I need new prescription glasses; is there a kind that I can buy which will allow me to also use them as shooting glasses?

I am aware that prescription shooting glasses exist but that’s not what I’m asking about.

Thanks

For Bullseye shooting with a Red Dot I needed an entirely different prescription which was 'tuned in' for a distance of 40-50ft in order to get a nice round dot again....

Indoor or outdoor shooting? If outdoors, you can get a set of transition lenses that darken when sunlight hits them. The strongest they get is still less than traditional sunglasses, but it does help. They may be available in a bi-focal lens now too. Make sure to address any astigmatism issues with the new lenses if you plan on using red dots.

I just got a pair of prescription safety Wiley X P17 sunglasses and they're awesome for shooting and for everyday use.

Your best bet is to see an eye doctor and see what they offer for prescription safety glasses. Many aren't very stylish unless you're willing to spend money on the higher end, stylish safety glasses.
@Idoktr can probably help you. I think based on his username you can figure out why he can help you...

I bought some Hunters HD Gold RX. I already had a recent prescription from my eye doctor and the office didn't offer shooting glasses. I worked with Brian from the company and was completely satisfied. He sent some samples of the models I was interested to try on and then mark the pupil on the model I wanted. They then made the glasses to my prescription and sent them to me. I was told to try them for a few weeks and send payment if I liked them or contact them if there was something that wasn't working for me with the glasses.

I finally got a new set of Frames with updated Rx for shooting. +1.00 in my aiming eye
I only get the aiming eye so far for my correction for shooting. I cover up the non aiming eye with scotch tape to keep my non aiming eye open but does not have any clear view
1595111609096.png

My old Frames Randolph Rangers, they will go back top the Trap shooting bag ....i dont need Rx for that yet! Plus I have all the fancy color lenses for trap
1595111783282.png

I just got a pair of prescription safety Wiley X P17 sunglasses and they're awesome for shooting and for everyday use.

Your best bet is to see an eye doctor and see what they offer for prescription safety glasses. Many aren't very stylish unless you're willing to spend money on the higher end, stylish safety glasses.
@Idoktr can probably help you. I think based on his username you can figure out why he can help you...
I tried to get those in my Rx.

My Rx wont fit.

I got the WILEY X ASPECT instead.

Super easy to order.

Just have a copy of your RX on hand.

Know your PD - pupil distance.

I bought them here...

My Revision Eyewear is great but I don't like having to deal with the insert lenses.

All you need is polycarbonate lenses in order for regular glasses to be used as shooting glasses

Note: A of my last visits two years ago, HD lenses are NOT safe for shooting so I wear standard lenses. Don’t know if that has changed since.

My previous set were HD and I don’t miss them. Dropping back down to standard lenses was not noticeable

Strongly recommend two things: an optometrist who is also a competitive shooter; and Revision Military for the glasses with prescription inserts. Best bargain in the shooting optics world.

Strongly recommend two things: an optometrist who is also a competitive shooter; and Revision Military for the glasses with prescription inserts. Best bargain in the shooting optics world.
the Rx carrier looks like it would not be very good.
same problem as most glasses. Your looking through the corner of the frames when in sitting or prone position.

I used my prescription and bought some sports goggles that work great for shooting. Full eye protection and anti fog. I found a pair that allows you to take the headband off and wear like normal glasses.

go to zennioptical. get a pair of prescription goggles. They are inexpensive, as cheap as $9.95. All you will need is your prescription and pupilary distance.

go to zennioptical. get a pair of prescription goggles. They are inexpensive, as cheap as $9.95. All you will need is your prescription and pupilary distance.
Are the Rx lenses in the goggles over the complete lense or more like bifocal?

If you are correctly positioned in prone or sitting you can easily see through the center of your glasses. The most common error in each position that forces the shooter to look through the top edge of the glasses is:

Prone: Arms too far out, shoulders too low, therefore spine too horizontal and the head is craned back to see the target, poorly and painfully. Raising the shoulders by pulling the support elbow back cures it.
Sitting: Bending at the waist instead of at the hips causes the upper spine to hunch toward horizontal with the same effect on neck and head. Made worse because lung capacity is diminished by the hunched position and the elbows can't reach the knees because the shoulders are still too high.

Perfect position is taught at Appleseeds. Shooters are less tired and scores go up.

Are the Rx lenses in the goggles over the complete lense or more like bifocal?
They are prescription lenses inside of goggles. I got the $9.95 ones that cover your whole face and sort of wrap around to the side. The prescription lenses can also pop out to make them regular non prescription goggles. There are other models as well. I went the cheap route to check it out and for some range time. I have had it for about 8 or so years.

If you are correctly positioned in prone or sitting you can easily see through the center of your glasses. The most common error in each position that forces the shooter to look through the top edge of the glasses is:

Prone: Arms too far out, shoulders too low, therefore spine too horizontal and the head is craned back to see the target, poorly and painfully. Raising the shoulders by pulling the support elbow back cures it.
Sitting: Bending at the waist instead of at the hips causes the upper spine to hunch toward horizontal with the same effect on neck and head. Made worse because lung capacity is diminished by the hunched position and the elbows can't reach the knees because the shoulders are still too high.

Perfect position is taught at Appleseeds. Shooters are less tired and scores go up.
You are correct that it's better to look through the center of your eyewear: better on the eyes not having to roll up into the head to see. However, anybody that shoots enough soon learns that a neck that is craned back in prone in order to do that, is way worse than the eye fatigue. Almost all highpower shooters who need a near correction (+1, +2) are well served by a upper, inner bifocal.

The "perfect" position is one that enables the shooter to do his best.

You are correct that it's better to look through the center of your eyewear: better on the eyes not having to roll up into the head to see. However, anybody that shoots enough soon learns that a neck that is craned back in prone in order to do that, is way worse than the eye fatigue. Almost all highpower shooters who need a near correction (+1, +2) are well served by a upper, inner bifocal.

The "perfect" position is one that enables the shooter to do his best.
Clearly, you do not understand what I wrote. That's ok.

I tried to get those in my Rx.

My Rx wont fit.

I got the WILEY X ASPECT instead.

Super easy to order.

Just have a copy of your RX on hand.

Know your PD - pupil distance.

I bought them here...

My Revision Eyewear is great but I don't like having to deal with the insert lenses.
I got mine today in the mail.

They are perfect.

I'm going to use them as my regular glasses.

Back
Top Bottom