Preppers, what did you forget?

Due to mother nature, several counties in my area were out of power for 11 days (not too long ago) . I tested my reserves during this time and found that I was lacking in a couple of categories. See below:

Fuel
Batteries
Communication (Receiver)

I now keep 40 gallons of fuel on hand which I stabilize and rotate out ever couple of years.

Added 150 AA lithium batteries to my on hand stash

Added a handheld short wave receiver to my home kit.
Now would be a good time to think about converting to propane and getting a 40# to 100# tank.

The coating that develops on the inside of car windows, especially the windshield, that reduces visibility. It's worse on cold days because it attracts moisture and can lead to whiteout when sunlight hits it at the right angle. The source is the plastics in the car - plasticizer is what keeps them soft/less brittle. The stuff outgasses over time and deposits on the glass. Crud is an unscientific term for it. :)
Oh. I just figured it was "road grime".

Due to mother nature, several counties in my area were out of power for 11 days (not too long ago) . I tested my reserves during this time and found that I was lacking in a couple of categories. See below:

Fuel
Batteries
Communication (Receiver)

I now keep 40 gallons of fuel on hand which I stabilize and rotate out ever couple of years.

Added 150 AA lithium batteries to my on hand stash

Added a handheld short wave receiver to my home kit.
I have 2 gallons of Coleman camp fuel. That should last a week or two.

A Mr Clean magic eraser used dry will get this off the inside of windows.
So will newspaper and Windex.

Now would be a good time to think about converting to propane and getting a 40# to 100# tank.
Does having a gas grill count?

Oh. I just figured it was "road grime".
Or nicotine. It's funny, I've had three different Smart cars--an '08, '09, and the missus' current '13--and all three had the same Smart car smell. Pleasant, actually.

Speaking of which, it took five weeks to get a complete set of three wipers for her car. I'm going to order another set to keep on the shelf. Just bought an old Tracker with low miles and damn few options to break. Was pleased to find a set of belts and idler pulleys on the shelf that I'd purchased for a previous Tracker that got totaled before I could install them. Was thinking that parts such as these would be good prep items.

Belts, wipers, filters, oil, washer fluid, antifreeze. I'm not rich but have already learned to keep batteries, brakes, and tires fresh. I own a repair manual for every rig I own, and do as much maintenance and repair as I can, including tire mounting. (Manual tire changer and non-electric balancer.) If you can't fix it, it's potential yard art.

Or nicotine. It's funny, I've had three different Smart cars--an '08, '09, and the missus' current '13--and all three had the same Smart car smell. Pleasant, actually.

Speaking of which, it took five weeks to get a complete set of three wipers for her car. I'm going to order another set to keep on the shelf. Just bought an old Tracker with low miles and damn few options to break. Was pleased to find a set of belts and idler pulleys on the shelf that I'd purchased for a previous Tracker that got totaled before I could install them. Was thinking that parts such as these would be good prep items.

Belts, wipers, filters, oil, washer fluid, antifreeze. I'm not rich but have already learned to keep batteries, brakes, and tires fresh. I own a repair manual for every rig I own, and do as much maintenance and repair as I can, including tire mounting. (Manual tire changer and non-electric balancer.) If you can't fix it, it's potential yard art.
And spare parts are pretty easy to flip on EBay (or similar) if you get rid of the car.
How well does the manual balancer work?

And spare parts are pretty easy to flip on EBay (or similar) if you get rid of the car.
How well does the manual balancer work?
Thanks for the reminder. I have a few NIB S10 parts to get rid of.

I first bought an old school bubble balancer. Seemed to work fine. My biggest problem was cleaning the alloy wheels well enough to make sure the stickey weights stuck. Upgraded when I stumbled upon a SnapOn hand-spin balancer. That one does require electricity to run the screen. Haven't used it yet, and don't foresee any tire projects in the near future.

I've got everything I may need or want ... the one thing missing in all of this is a real for honest, god forsaken apocalypse.

bad prepper? ... no doomsday for you!

Back
Top Bottom