Preppers, what did you forget?

Hopefully once this is all over people, my self included, will learn a very valuable lesson regarding self preparedness and self sufficiency. At the very least having a good supply of vital prescription and over the counter medications that one might need every day, food, and water can go a long way.

While the majority of us have given some thought to this issue, this crisis shows to me that America as a whole has been too cozy, taking for granted the luxuries of stocked shelves and open stores.

Appearently I forgot to get a brain for my wife.

We have easily 3 months of everything we could possibly need in the fridge, freezer, two pantries and two huge tubs of medical and sanitary supplies. Likely 6 months with the freeze dried food if rationed. We have in reserve frozen, canned and freeze dried fruits and veggies.

Yet after arguing with her to NOT go to the grocery store to pick up more fresh veggies and snacks, putting herself and the rest of us at risk, she did while I was busy working in my office.

Not only that but she panic bought $600 worth of everything she could find, much of it perishable that we absolutely do not need, have no f***ing room for, and most likely will go bad. She spent 10 times longer in the store with many unmasked knuckleheads, and touched 20 times more than she needed to because of arrogance.

After an hour of sanitizing the crap out of everything. I had to put a bunch of it in a large cooler. Car completely sanitized, clothes in the wash, house wiped down.

After all the precautions just one trip like that could bring the whole house down. I am so f’ing pissed right now.

Last edited:
Hopefully once this is all over people, my self included, will learn a very valuable lesson regarding self preparedness and self sufficiency. At the very least having a good supply of vital prescription and over the counter medications that one might need every day, food, and water can go a long way.

While the majority of us have given some thought to this issue, this crisis shows to me that America as a whole has been too cozy, taking for granted the luxuries of stocked shelves and open stores.

Hopefully, priorities will also shift. While watching the news yesterday with the lines of cars in various cities hitting the food banks I noticed all the cars looked fairly new. Some people live paycheck to paycheck because they have no choice. A lot of people have choices how they spend their money. New cars with payments. Massive credit card debt so they can have everything right now. All kinds of nice things to have until there is no paycheck. I bet a lot of people will realize that after this and scale back on the spending. Maybe have an emergency fund or keep some food in the house for an emergency.

Make her eat all the fresh stuff until it's gone. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. LOL

Appearently I forgot to get a brain for my wife.

We have easily 3 months of everything we could possibly need in the fridge, freezer, two pantries and two huge tubs of medical and sanitary supplies. Likely 6 months with the freeze dried food if rationed. We have in reserve frozen, canned and freeze dried fruits and veggies.

Yet after arguing with her to NOT go to the grocery store to pick up more fresh veggies and snacks, putting herself and the test of us at risk, she did while I was busy working in my office.

Not only that but she panic bought $600 worth of everything she could find, much of it perishable that we absolutely do not need, have no f***ing room for, and most likely will go bad. She spent 10 times longer in the store with many unmasked knuckleheads, and touched 20 times more than she needed to because of self centered arrogance.

After an hour of sanitizing the crap out of everything. I had to put a bunch of it in a large cooler. Car completely sanitized, clothes in the wash, house wiped down.

After all the precautions just one trip like that could bring the whole house down. I am so f’ing pissed right now.

Hopefully, priorities will also shift. While watching the news yesterday with the lines of cars in various cities hitting the food banks I noticed all the cars looked fairly new. Some people live paycheck to paycheck because they have no choice. A lot of people have choices how they spend their money. New cars with payments. Massive credit card debt so they can have everything right now. All kinds of nice things to have until there is no paycheck. I bet a lot of people will realize that after this and scale back on the spending. Maybe have an emergency fund or keep some food in the house for an emergency.
Whatever you do, dont ever look at what's parked at your average housing project.

doubtful. people like that don't view their choices as the cause of their problems. if they did, they wouldn't be in the situation to begin with. they'll attribute all this to .Gov or just bad luck.

doubtful. people like that don't view their choices as the cause of their problems. if they did, they wouldn't be in the situation to begin with. they'll attribute all this to .Gov or just bad luck.
It's like an employee that smokes and always asks for raises. Well I'll tell you how you can save an additional $10/day, $70/week, $280/month, $3360/year every year for the rest of your life. You ready for me to let you in on the secret?

I'm in no way a prepper but in the last few years I have been trying to be more prepared. I can't believe the amount of people who didn't have masks? It's one of the first things I bought. I was never even thinking of a plague but more like debris from something like 9/11. Breathing that stuff in is STILL killing people! Thisbplace is a wealth of information and this event has certainly taught me some things. Once the economy starts back up I hope to start prepping more.
Buddy of mine lives nearby and recalled the giant cloud of dust down his street. He had a 1/2” of dust on his balcony.

I have enough medical equipment to handle everything from gsw's to blocked airways and cardiac arrest, including bvm's, nasal and oral airways, oxygen, and an AED, but forgot n95 masks and gloves. I have some medical masks and face shields but those aren't true n95. Luckily I have a stock of gloves because I use them in my garage a lot working on stuff, but masks are scarce around here. I have a mini welding respirator that is p100 rated and has carbon filters too, which is actually better than n95, and some cartridge repirators i use for painting, but other than that only a handful of masks. Luckily I did have two half gallon pump bottles of hand sanitizer. I need to go fill some gas cans. But other than that were good to go.

[rofl]

How do you remember to stock and AED but forget to pick up some masks?! And where can I buy an AED?

I'm just starting the research into it today. I heard they were hard to come by right now though?

Check Craigslist if you can't find anyplace near you or that you can order from. The plus of Craigslist is that there a re a lot of people raising and selling them. You can get older birds that are almost ready to lay so you don't have to wait 5/6 months.

There's a company on facebook that continually spams me with ads about an adapter that lets you "straight" fill up little green tanks from the larger 20 pounders. Looks like a great idea. Only reason I didnt buy it is I have plenty of little green tanks and don't use them much.
Personally, I wouldn't mess around with that. I bought a 5lb propane tank for portability, but they can be stupidly expensive at times. It'll pay for itself after just a couple of years of ice fishing, vs those little green "bombs".

I had a few brand new tanks from 2008 that look brand new but now are three 12 years old and need to be recertified. only issue with storage if you need to refill them sometime down the road.

that's one of the nices ones I've seen, and aluminum to boot, light weight.
not sure if the AL at the top will hold up.

I've ran out of ice-cream and potato chips, a week or so ago a broke quarantine to buy more, now I'm out again.
Can't you just swap the old ones out into the blue rhino program or is that bad juju?

Can't you just swap the old ones out into the blue rhino program or is that bad juju?
thats what I have always done.

Heres something that I am lacking on. Cleaning supplies. Usually I have 2-3 bottles floating around between the kitchen and bathrooms, but it just happened to be a time where I only had one. I havent seen anything at non rapey prices in a while other than Windex. I havent tried it yet, but it should work.

thats what I have always done.

Heres something that I am lacking on. Cleaning supplies. Usually I have 2-3 bottles floating around between the kitchen and bathrooms, but it just happened to be a time where I only had one. I havent seen anything at non rapey prices in a while other than Windex. I havent tried it yet, but it should work.

There's that movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding or something like that, where the old man sprays Windex on everything, it's for cleaning, bug control, wounds, evil spirits, etc. It's supposed to be funny, but my mom did the same thing with it. Said Windex was all you needed for household cleaning.

There's that movie, My Big Fat Greek Wedding or something like that, where the old man sprays Windex on everything, it's for cleaning, bug control, wounds, evil spirits, etc. It's supposed to be funny, but my mom did the same thing with it. Said Windex was all you needed for household cleaning.

just don't buy the shitty Windex that DOESN'T have ammonia-d in it

I would have stored more powdered milk. I'm not sure what the shelf life is, I think the stuff from stores maybe a couple years at most, but there is nitrogen packed stuff. It's not really the kind of thing I think of rotating, but now that we've used it a few times, it's fine for coffee, cooking, cereal, etc. I didn't realize you could get whole milk powder, I never liked skim milk.

We've been getting delivered groceries, every two weeks or so, so milk tends to run out with two grown kids in the house, and I don't like running down to the store
just to. get a gallon or two of milk, I'm trying to keep minimize time brushing elbows with people in stores if I don't need to.

Back
Top Bottom