• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Preppers, what did you forget?

Great thread. I have been saying to my friends that this isn't the EOTWAWKI, but it is one hell of a practice run. I have been keeping a simple journal in my email drafts so I can update it as I think of things, I suggest everyone do that. When things settle down a little this morning, I will add some of my thoughts to this thread.
Yeah, this is just the pre-drill safety brief. It really hasn't posed much of a challenge at all. The big thing it has done is convince my other half that some of my preps aren't unnecessary after all. If there has been a weak point, it is in variety of long term food. I need to work on that. In a crunch, any calories are welcome. But the point is to be able to ride it out in relative comfort.

JERRY CANS. Fill er up and stock gasoline while it's cheap!

Got 2 of these and 1 metal. All are NATO style. $26 shipped!! Filled these up yesterday, very high quality, no concern for vapor leakage. The ONLY downside to the reinforced plastic cans is expansion during extreme hot/cold temps, but if you garage these, you're fine. Besides that, they're cheap and they don't rust! Filled up 15 gals of $1.80 gas yesterday.
1585842431090.png

I have masks but frankly they're overrated. Keep your social distancing and use a scarf or bandana and gloves whenever you might come near people and you're fine. A good mask would be vital if a household member became sick though--then you need real barrier protection for them to wear and yourself.

Frankly, the reason I have a whole box of n95 masks is because I stopped using them. I bought a 3M silicone half-face respirator with P100 filters and use that whenever I'm cutting or sanding things now. Not only does it work better--good seal, better filtering--it's easier to breath in and more comfortable. Cost under $30 with extra filters. Sold out now though.

Paper Coffee Filters.... thought I had more. Nope. I do have the reusable one, but I still usually line it with a paper one anyways to get that little bit of the silt out. Could be worse though.

Of all the things to forget, I forget to stock cooking oil (separate from daily use stock). I was so concentrated on making sure I had food to eat in my prep that I forgot to think about how one actually cooks. I think I'll pick up a canister of olive oil and a box or two or kosher salt to keep in long term storage stock.

long term olive oil goes rancid. Best bet is to stick to Virgin Coconut Oil, stores forever. Always in stock at BJs.....Even now.

Toll House chocolate chip cookie dough. You know, those logs grocery stores have in the refrigerated section...when/if things return to normal, I’ll need to get a dedicated freezer just to store as many cases as I can!

Teaching my kiddo how to shoot for a REAL type SHTF situation.

I started him at the air gun range, bench rest, and irons when he was 7yo. He enjoyed it, but didn’t have interest to take it further — I didn’t want to press because I want him to actually enjoy the sport and not rebel because dad said so (not to mention his mom/my Ex- is all anti-gun).

With mandatory home schooling now, some of his outside time is now spent honing his safe pistol handling skills (still with a pellet gun due to neighbors).

Filling in those gaps...
(BTW he is age 9 now)
034A280F-2E2F-4A2F-8F4A-72E2BB9B1C99.jpeg

I have enough medical equipment to handle everything from gsw's to blocked airways and cardiac arrest, including bvm's, nasal and oral airways, oxygen, and an AED, but forgot n95 masks and gloves. I have some medical masks and face shields but those aren't true n95. Luckily I have a stock of gloves because I use them in my garage a lot working on stuff, but masks are scarce around here. I have a mini welding respirator that is p100 rated and has carbon filters too, which is actually better than n95, and some cartridge repirators i use for painting, but other than that only a handful of masks. Luckily I did have two half gallon pump bottles of hand sanitizer. I need to go fill some gas cans. But other than that were good to go.

What about long term battery storage? How do you guys store them?
That's a great question. I suppose for starters they need to be in their factory packages, air sealed in containers, and stored in the basement.
This is a crucial item that you must dig into your stash to use normally in order to replenish with newer manufactured.

Yeah, but I try to cycle out foods with shorter shelf life as much as possible. I'm still all ears when it comes to longer lasting alternatives, but many things are in the 2 year mark for best nutritional value.

Yeah rotation is key for that. Coconut Oil is a set it and forget it thing is all. Like putting away white rice in mylar bags with O2 eaters.

I wish I got a treadmill. I've been putting in 25-35 miles a week and for the past 2 weeks it's been nothing other than the occasional walk outside.

As far as other preps we have been fine. I've been getting stuff online to supplement only to see it go OOS the next day. Going to venture out into the world tomorrow though...
I just removed a treadmill from the basement to make room for a new food shelf. Its outside under a dry porch at the top of the driveway. Yours for the taking if you can bring someone to help load it.

We're in reasonable shape. I always bulk buy paper goods so TP and paper towels covered. Stocked up on canned goods in early Feb just as border closed. I bought a few P95 masks and 2 P99 respirators at the same time. Have 4 weeks of Mountain House rations still untouched as we can still get groceries delivered.

My biggest mistake was listening to my Dr who said it was a nothing burger in Feb. I was planning to get more long term supplies but relaxed for a couple days and missed out on some stuff, especially masks. Lesson learned: ALWAYS take your own advice, don't let others sway you. Second mistake was not getting enough extra for my kids. Gave my masks to them leaving only respirators for us.

Plenty of guns & ammo. Stocked up on gas, propane, and kerosene. I would have expected those to be harder to get than they are. I guess my imagination always figured infrastructure would be the main pain point in a crisis. I have my own well and backup power as well as wood stove and plenty of harvestable wood so water and warmth not issues.

Stay safe and healthy everyone!!

My biggest mistake was listening to my Dr who said it was a nothing burger in Feb. I was planning to get more long term supplies but relaxed for a couple days and missed out on some stuff, especially masks. Lesson learned: ALWAYS take your own advice, don't let others sway you. Second mistake was not getting enough extra for my kids. Gave my masks to them leaving only respirators for us.
Always listen to the collective wisdom on NES. When things even look like they are going sideways I check here first!:cool:

I'm all set and still not even into any Stocked up prep stuff YET. But I know I forgot shelf stable milk ( Parmalat) and I'm into the powdered Coffemate now . It's the beginning of My 1st World Problems!!! Next I'll be reconstituting evaporated milk. This shit better blow over before I get that far, I'm a bear without my coffee with some kind of liquid creamer!!! The only other thing is .... I'm on my second can of beans and had Mexican with lots of beans in it this week too. GLAD I live alone !

A question for the day, I filled 4 20 lb. propane tanks last week. Also had 2 already for this coming year. I use 2 maybe 3 all summer. Does LPG loose it's efficentcy in long term storage like maybe 1-2 years?
Curious myself. Wasnt thinking so much of it slowly going bad like gasoline, but was thinking if over time there may be some gas leaking past the valve? Idk tbh, I was never much of a griller and the only reason I even had any propane was for melting down range lead. Thats turned into my emergency cooking reserve though.

I use it for smelting lead too but that has it's own dedicated set-up with 1 20lber so I can amatorize my costs.
Lol, that was another question of mine. Obviously its a no go to use that same pot and utensils for smelting, but what about just the burner itself? I hate to be one of those people who thinks of lead like its plutonium, but have to admit its still in the back of my mind. Cant really say any lead has ever touched the burner/stand so what could it hurt? I only have one set up that ive never used for anything else.

Back
Top Bottom