Preppers, what did you forget?

Knob Creek

NES Member
Well, what did you forget or wish you had stored more of?
I was in good shape I thought. Well stocked with firearms, ammunition and loading supplies. Canned, dried and frozen food. Paper goods, water and purification system. First Aid and medication. Clothing and tools.

Where I did not do well in were amounts of N95 masks, spray disinfectant, hydrogen peroxide, hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes, isopropyl alcohol, bleach, frozen meat. For gardening I generally relay on local garden supplies for my plants each spring. Not sure how available that will be this year. So I'm starting some from seed. Should have stored more propane but I can still do that.

Last edited:
I think we did well on prep items. No real holes that a shopping trip in Feb didn't fix for cat litter and a few misc things.

The only regret is that we probably spent too much money on wants in the last year. if I spent less on Amazon I might be closer to having the house paid off. One credit card has a balance. I expected the economy to crash. I just figured it would be around election time. The virus was a curve ball.

Also, when I saw it coming this way I had hoped we wouldn't be locked down until May or June. I would have worked as much as possible in Feb.

I was also thinking about gardening. I usually buy a few plants (tomatoes, peppers, broccoli and cabbage) and start some (squash, tomatoes, cabbage broccoli and others).

The plants I start don't turn out that great but I always try. I just ordered some grow lights from Amazon to see if that will help since i am also unsure what will be available to buy.

We have been far ahead for a long time. I'm glad we kept the old freeze, both have been filled for a long time. Plenty of power and communications as a backup. But there is always something I'm forgetting I'm sure. I keep a list of what we have on hand and should double check it.

Have to admit to not really having a pandemic on my radar. Have a couple of respirators that I had to buy once this thing had gotten going so I over paid for them. Had bleach on hand but had to buy spray bottles for disinfecting. Could have used a freezer chest as well. Going to spend less on nonessentials going forward and focus on buying some rural property. Also, I live alone and think that its obvious that the house is empty when Im at work. Not sure what I can do about that, but it bothers me. Id hate to come home one day and find the place ransacked.

Have to admit to not really having a pandemic on my radar. Have a couple of respirators that I had to buy once this thing had gotten going so I over paid for them. Had bleach on hand but had to buy spray bottles for disinfecting. Could have used a freezer chest as well. Going to spend less on nonessentials going forward and focus on buying some rural property. Also, I live alone and think that its obvious that the house is empty when Im at work. Not sure what I can do about that, but it bothers me. Id hate to come home one day and find the place ransacked.

Get a dog? Something like a shepherd? Company for you and a deterrent to many.

Thats crossed my mind. How do they do alone all day? Anyone ever figure out what a dog costs to own? Ive never owned one.

I grew up in a household that always had two dogs, because mom and dad worked and we went to school. My parents figured that "a" dog would be lonely being by itself all day. Since I grew up with that model, it's always worked for me. I have two dogs now. We got the first one when my wife was about to undergo surgery, and we got the second a year later to keep the first one company.

That being said - taking on two dogs is twice the work/fun and twice the cost. Shots, food and vet visits.

Lots of different breeds, some probably do better by themselves, and you're looking for something that's territorial in nature, that's large enough to scare strangers away, that will bond to you, and that's okay being by itself.

I'm thinking shephard, akita or husky. But that's somewhat limited knowledge on my part.

Thats crossed my mind. How do they do alone all day? Anyone ever figure out what a dog costs to own? Ive never owned one.

They are pack animals and really ( no matter what people tell you) don't do well alone all day. If you don't have time for a dog, for the dog's sake don't get one.
They are not cheap to own if cared for correctly ( even barring any odd conditions that might arise).

I do have Bing cameras on the doors but theyre not perfect. My phone service sucks so sometimes I get the alert but it may take 10 min for the vid clip to play. Also have to play with the sensitivity which I havent been able to dial in. Sometimes Ill come home to a package on the porch but no alert when later in the day, the headlights of a passing car will trip the same camera. Better than nothing though as long as the police will respond.

I do have Bing cameras on the doors but theyre not perfect. My phone service sucks so sometimes I get the alert but it may take 10 min for the vid clip to play. Also have to play with the sensitivity which I havent been able to dial in. Sometimes Ill come home to a package on the porch but no alert when later in the day, the headlights of a passing car will trip the same camera. Better than nothing though as long as the police will respond.

My set up is just inside the house - cover the front and back doors. I’m not worried about what goes on outisude but only if someone entered.

We were pretty good on pandemic supplies, although some of the long shelf life stuff has been on the shelf pretty long.

I kind of wish now that I hadn't sold my HF ham radio stuff a while back. I thought I had saved a VHF radio someplace
but can't find it now.

I kind of wish now that I hadn't sold my HF ham radio stuff a while back. I thought I had saved a VHF radio someplace
That reminds me I had bought a couple of Baofungs a while back but never played around with them. I remember people saying that you cant just buy one and forget about it, you have to learn how to use it but thats pretty much what I did.

Expired yeast does not make good bread so I failed to have yeast on hand. I do have some bread in the freezer.
I have N95 masks for work and offered them to a niece who works in health care. I have a couple for working in the shop for dust, I am not going out yet.

That reminds me I had bought a couple of Baofungs a while back but never played around with them. I remember people saying that you cant just buy one and forget about it, you have to learn how to use it but thats pretty much what I did.
Some years ago I bought a dual band by Wouxun from HRO. I've got it program to scan different things and I can hit most repeaters around. It was cheap works great.

Great thread. I have been saying to my friends that this isn't the EOTWAWKI, but it is one hell of a practice run. I have been keeping a simple journal in my email drafts so I can update it as I think of things, I suggest everyone do that. When things settle down a little this morning, I will add some of my thoughts to this thread.

I forgot to not listen to the wife and stock up on crap that I might need. Fortunately we are also minimalists so haven't needed much yet. But now she is seeing things my way. And although she supports 2A with her vote she is not a fan of guns. However she admitted that she is sleeping pretty comfortably at night knowing that I totally ignored her about that subject.

And I also regret not taking my girls to the range more. So we are having drills in the evenings.

Last edited:
Great thread. I have been saying to my friends that this isn't the EOTWAWKI, but it is one hell of a practice run. I have been keeping a simple journal in my email drafts so I can update it as I think of things, I suggest everyone do that. When things settle down a little this morning, I will add some of my thoughts to this thread.

this....

Expired yeast does not make good bread so I failed to have yeast on hand. I do have some bread in the freezer.
I have N95 masks for work and offered them to a niece who works in health care. I have a couple for working in the shop for dust, I am not going out yet.

You can make your own yeast and for bread its very simple, its 3 table spoons of flour and two table spoons of water in a jar. Mix well and add that mixture daily for about 2-3 days. Mix it and yes put a cover on it but don't tighten it down you need air to get in.
You will see it rise and then use a small portion in your bread mixing dough. You can also get yeast from fruit skins and veggies. Yeast is everywhere and on most natural foods.

I dropped the ball on prepping with my finances and wish I could of had front loaded the mortgage a few months in advance rather than just a month.

Not enough ammo®
(kidding)

Fresh Veggies....and the ability to grow them.
Fresh food of all sorts, hard to keep things past two weeks.
Two weeks out and I have a list, I'm weighing the decision to brave the local supermarket. [banghead]

Of all the things to forget, I forget to stock cooking oil (separate from daily use stock). I was so concentrated on making sure I had food to eat in my prep that I forgot to think about how one actually cooks. I think I'll pick up a canister of olive oil and a box or two or kosher salt to keep in long term storage stock.

I feel like Burt Gummer when he has to abandon his home in the movie Tremors. Lots of food, guns, ammo, generator, water, med supplies but like Burt didn't prepare for a gosh darn underground monster, I did not prep for an NBC (nuke, bio, chem) event so no masks, suits and protective gear.
Same, short on masks, out of tyvek suits, used them up on dirty jobs.

Also, I live alone and think that its obvious that the house is empty when Im at work. Not sure what I can do about that, but it bothers me. Id hate to come home one day and find the place ransacked.

One of those smart home set ups, like Wink, can turn lights and music on and off during the day and night, to simulate someone home. At least as long as your power and wifi are working.

Did pretty well with supplies & food during this "national emergency". No mortgage, no debt, makes things tremendously easier.
Thoughts that occurred to me though, that I need to work on going forward.
Making bread for the first time today.
Expanding the garden.
Learn about canning.
Need to learn more about solar power and a solar generator. I think $3K to $5K minimum investment is needed to be effective. Maybe more, need to find out.

Define alone. Most dogs are OK being alone for 8 hours (normal work day). But they still take a lot of work before and after. And they're expensive. Vet visits are crazy. GSDs have a lot of problems (hips, elbows, skin, etc). Puppies are a lot of work.

Back
Top Bottom