• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

But, but, but Preppers are crazy!!!!!

This is one guy who actually spilled his guts in an interview. Rest assured there's thousands more wealthy people doing the same thing all around the country/world......they'd just never admit it in public.
I say GOOD FOR HIM!!!!
Someone finally got to the rational side of his brain and he acted on it......no pun intended.

FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE: A word of caution with regard to storing pool shock. DO NOT STORE IT ANYWHERE INDOORS IN ANY LIVING SPACE!!!!!

The stuff breaks down with age and produces deadly chlorine gas.

If you must store it, store it outdoors, away from any living space, preferably a low-lying area (chlorine gas is heavy and settles) and down wind.

Store it in a dry and air tight container.

Cleaver Plant: Have been pulling this weed out and tossing it for years. Now I find it has Herbal benefits.

'Like the dandelion, a wild plant called “cleavers” arrives in springtime. Cleavers is one of the most useful herbs in our home! She is an amazing spring cleanser and lymph mover, removing waste and abnormal cells. Learn how to identify this plant, the health benefits of cleavers, and how to use this medicinal herb in your home.

You may not be familiar with the cleavers plant (Galium Aparine), though you’ve probably come across this unassuming “weed” outdoors in your yard, along a street, or in a park. It’s not as flashy as the yellow-flowered dandelion. But, like to the dandelion, cleavers is also an edible plant with medicinal uses, joining many other wild plants, including violet, chickweed, purslane, and stinging nettle. Other common names for cleavers are goose grass, bedstraw, and cleaver wort.'

Benefits of the Cleavers Plant: A Spring Herb for Health

cleavers-plant.jpg
I have tons of that in my yard too. How are you going to consume it? My kids have mad eczema and I read that it can treat that

I finally got all the stuff to finish my faraday cage per this document. Metal 5 gallon bucket with a lever-lock lid and doubled-up trash bags as insulation. I replaced the lid gasket with 1/8" latex tubing and put aluminum tape over it to tie the lid and bucket together electrically. Materials list:

Bucket

Lid

Tubing (10 ft length)

Tape

Trash bags are for a bathroom-sized trash can...just regular trash bags, lol. They have similar electrical insulating properties to kapton, which is used as high-voltage electrical insulation.

Attachments

• signal-2023-06-28-102529_002.jpeg
    signal-2023-06-28-102529_002.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 16
Thinking about this more, I'm not sure if the adhesive on the tape will act as an insulator. I think I'm going to redo the tape so there is metal-to-metal contact somewhere. The instructions in that PDF say to "wrap the tubing in aluminum tape" but that is harder than it sounds, plus it doesnt keep the tubing in place.

Thinking about this more, I'm not sure if the adhesive on the tape will act as an insulator. I think I'm going to redo the tape so there is metal-to-metal contact somewhere. The instructions in that PDF say to "wrap the tubing in aluminum tape" but that is harder than it sounds, plus it doesnt keep the tubing in place.
You can measure resistance and/or check for continuity with a DMM

They also make conductive gasket materials for exactly this purpose (both with and without adhesive). Example:

Just gasket the bucket and lid. The external metal locking rind will provide metal to metal continuity.

You can measure resistance and/or check for continuity with a DMM

They also make conductive gasket materials for exactly this purpose (both with and without adhesive). Example:

Good point, I will try that

Just gasket the bucket and lid. The external metal locking rind will provide metal to metal continuity.

There is paint in some areas, so not sure there is continuity. I will check with my multimeter and see.

I made some of PawPaw’s cheap wine for shits and giggles. Let you know how it turns out in about a month.

View: http://youtu.be/fiGu6PxcSUQ

View attachment 770151
View attachment 770152
View attachment 770153

I made that last month and its soooo good. Stiff as a cowboy boot too. Made another batch for next month, might even have a vintage if i keep this up

Lmk how you tackle the yeast sludge at the bottom of the bottle or the skuzz on the top. Neither is an issue just a challenge. I slowly poured it off into new bottles, stopping when the yeast was comming off the bottom, repeat a few days after. Then maybe again. I think in theory you can use that stuff to make wine again

Next go around, when you have a favorite juice, do 3 jugs of the same, and put the 2cups you pour from each into a 4th jug 🤯 waste not, want not

I made that last month and its soooo good. Stiff as a cowboy boot too. Made another batch for next month, might even have a vintage if i keep this up

Lmk how you tackle the yeast sludge at the bottom of the bottle or the skuzz on the top. Neither is an issue just a challenge. I slowly poured it off into new bottles, stopping when the yeast was comming off the bottom, repeat a few days after. Then maybe again. I think in theory you can use that stuff to make wine again

Next go around, when you have a favorite juice, do 3 jugs of the same, and put the 2cups you pour from each into a 4th jug 🤯 waste not, want not
I’m going to siphon it out into 750ml wine bottles. I figure that I’ll get 2 clean bottles out of each jug. I did put the extra 2 cups of juice into a mixed jug. I used it for breakfast and drink mixers. I’ll update soon.

Just picked up two very good condition TA/1 field phones with hard cases.

1691501460370.png These are the "no batteries required" sound powered field phones and their range on the wire is not as far, as opposed to the TA-312 types that require two D cells, but transmit several miles over wire. Used these type phones extensively in the army artillery to and from the gun batteries to FDC.
With these type phones, you could hook to two strands of a barbed wire fence and talk for miles if you interconnected other fence wire runs.
They have the squeeze type magneto ringer that sends the high voltage down the line to activate the mechanical ringer in various other types of field phones.

Just picked up two very good condition TA/1 field phones with hard cases.

View attachment 783100 These are the "no batteries required" sound powered field phones and their range on the wire is not as far, as opposed to the TA-312 types that require two D cells, but transmit several miles over wire. Used these type phones extensively in the army artillery to and from the gun batteries to FDC.
With these type phones, you could hook to two strands of a barbed wire fence and talk for miles if you interconnected other fence wire runs.
They have the squeeze type magneto ringer that sends the high voltage down the line to activate the mechanical ringer in various other types of field phones.
That was still one of our “Common Tasks” back in the eighties. They really are cool phones for a grid down situation.

Back
Top Bottom