• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Prep of The Day Thread

I got it for a little less than he was posting for but it was fairly priced. He has a lot of work into it. It's a M916 converted to a camper with MRAP look in mind. He's building a bigger camper on a M920 because his family has grown and they want more space.

And yes it has an actual NH title as a motor home.

I highly recommend adding a rocket stove to your prep. My chosen rocket stove is on sale at amazon for $80. It was $100 when I bought mine and more than worth it. It's entirely cast iron (not aluminum like others), uses just twigs and leaves as fuel (and produces high heat up the chimney), well made and efficient functional design, and packs up for storage/transport. And if not for prepping, use it for camping or having fun in the backyard. There are tons of rocket stoves out there, but I ended up on this one and so far it seems to be a solid purchase.

71aUhuOVJ4L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Amazon product ASIN B09RSSQQ2TView: https://www.amazon.com/camping-portable-rocket-stove/dp/B09RSSQQ2T/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1GZJCIZHE5RNT&keywords=wise+moose+stove&qid=1681948436&sprefix=wisemoose+stove%2Caps%2C82&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

just bought a case of yoders hambegerr 184.77 shipped from MREDepot.
its cheaper by the case for shiping of one than if i bought 2. $18.82 ship one and like 49 to ship 2.
anybody have good place to by yoders.
lot of places seem to sell for and extra $100/case which is crazy.
Yes. Yoders is made by werling and sons. You can buy it direct from them for less and free shipping

I got another two quarts of sauerkraut started tonight. The store had no carrots so I left those out. It looks kind of blah but whatever.

I also did two quarts of bell peppers. Those take a brine so I brought Nalgene bottles with me on my evening hike to fill at a spring.

I have a pH meter coming so I can measure the jars and see when they've reached an appropriate acidity. I don't know how critical that is, but I like the fermented veggies and I want to try a lot more stuff this summer.

I just hunted down this post and I think I need to do some more research. Numerous places I read said 3-4 days, but other say weeks. Mine taste good after 3-4 days, but I don't know if they're really "done" and full of all the goodness. I guess the one on the counter might have to stay there for a few more weeks. Which means I should probably fire off another batch each week or so to have a batch ready to go. I might have to save big jars now; Ball jars have gotten expensive.

This is a good reference too for what is going on in your kraut at each stage of fermentation: How Long To Ferment Sauerkraut?

I was also just loosely threading the reusable plastic Ball lid on but I don't know how well that actually breathes. So I moved to the coffee filter method.

Stacked wood. Man that shit is time consuming. It’s keeping me in shape (sort of), but I got other things I need to get done.

Chicken coop design/building is #1 on my list and I haven’t ever started yet. I’ve got 2 weekend to get that figured out and I haven’t even decided where I’m going to put it.

Stacked wood. Man that shit is time consuming. It’s keeping me in shape (sort of), but I got other things I need to get done.

Chicken coop design/building is #1 on my list and I haven’t ever started yet. I’ve got 2 weekend to get that figured out and I haven’t even decided where I’m going to put it.
I'm no chickenologist, but you want to put the coop outside.

I'm no chickenologist, but you want to put the coop outside.
Point taken!

On 72 acres, I have quite a few options! Not trying to ‘flex’ on my property here, but sometimes having so much land can be a hinderance when it comes to logistics. If I think I’ll need electricity for them, I might need to keep them in/around the yard though so I can run an extension cord out on freezing days to keep their water in liquid form.

Point taken!

On 72 acres, I have quite a few options! Not trying to ‘flex’ on my property here, but sometimes having so much land can be a hinderance when it comes to logistics. If I think I’ll need electricity for them, I might need to keep them in/around the yard though so I can run an extension cord out on freezing days to keep their water in liquid form.
Put a solar panel on the roof.

I highly recommend adding a rocket stove to your prep. My chosen rocket stove is on sale at amazon for $80. It was $100 when I bought mine and more than worth it. It's entirely cast iron (not aluminum like others), uses just twigs and leaves as fuel (and produces high heat up the chimney), well made and efficient functional design, and packs up for storage/transport. And if not for prepping, use it for camping or having fun in the backyard. There are tons of rocket stoves out there, but I ended up on this one and so far it seems to be a solid purchase.

Amazon product ASIN B09RSSQQ2TView: https://www.amazon.com/camping-portable-rocket-stove/dp/B09RSSQQ2T/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1GZJCIZHE5RNT&keywords=wise+moose+stove&qid=1681948436&sprefix=wisemoose+stove%2Caps%2C82&sr=8-1&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc
Ordered.

I forgot that I had ordered one of these when you posted. It showed up on my doorstep yesterday. I went to casually grab the little box with one hand and was instantly shocked at the weight! I should have read the warning label. This is definitely not for backpack use. [laugh]
C72C06D4-3385-4423-A44F-F5EC9149455A.jpeg

It has been a while since I posted last, but I have been busy!

• I was not really getting results from the home gym, so started doing small-group training at a local gym. I'm finally getting back to pre-covid fitness
  • Tested out my "tactical" gear under field conditions for a week. I posted about it in the tactical zoolander thread
  • Packaged up a bunch of rice and beans in mylar with O2 absorbers (maybe 50 or 100 lbs each)
  • Bought some UV-5R radios, programmed them and tested them out (I have a general class license)
  • Had an actual transfer switch installed for my generator
  • Rotated my ~year old generator gas and added stabilizer
  • Fluid change on my tacoma BOV, oil and transmission. I also rotated the tires.
  • Painstakingly put together a full month of spare meds for my GF. She had a lung transplant, so these are required medications. I have not had any luck getting spares from her Drs, but I was able to piece together enough from partial bottles, extra meds from dose changes etc. This is huge and makes me feel much better.
  • I put together an extensive list of her meds including what they are for and alternative medications (there are a lot, this was a lot of work lol)
  • I read a bunch on nulcear war preparedness, including finishing nuclear war survival skills and a couple other freely available US govt. sources

It has been a while since I posted last, but I have been busy!

• I was not really getting results from the home gym, so started doing small-group training at a local gym. I'm finally getting back to pre-covid fitness
  • Tested out my "tactical" gear under field conditions for a week. I posted about it in the tactical zoolander thread
  • Packaged up a bunch of rice and beans in mylar with O2 absorbers (maybe 50 or 100 lbs each)
  • Bought some UV-5R radios, programmed them and tested them out (I have a general class license)
  • Had an actual transfer switch installed for my generator
  • Rotated my ~year old generator gas and added stabilizer
  • Fluid change on my tacoma BOV, oil and transmission. I also rotated the tires.
  • Painstakingly put together a full month of spare meds for my GF. She had a lung transplant, so these are required medications. I have not had any luck getting spares from her Drs, but I was able to piece together enough from partial bottles, extra meds from dose changes etc. This is huge and makes me feel much better.
  • I put together an extensive list of her meds including what they are for and alternative medications (there are a lot, this was a lot of work lol)
  • I read a bunch on nulcear war preparedness, including finishing nuclear war survival skills and a couple other freely available US govt. sources
Your Med comment reminds me to repost the JASE case - Antibiotic package to have on hand $259 bucks. They also have JASE daily where they will fulfill a prescription for 1 year of meds to have on hand. Not cheap (vs insurance) but a great way to be prepared.

jase-case-product.jpeg

EMERGENCY ANTIBIOTIC KIT INCLUDES:

• Unlimited physician follow-up for any questions relating to the use of any medication prescribed
  • Emergency Antibiotic Guide written by board-certified physicians as a companion to the use of your prescribed antibiotics
  • Amoxicillin-clavulanate 875 mg tablets (28 tablets)
  • Azithromycin 250 mg tablets (6 tablets)
  • Ciprofloxacin 500 mg tablets (28 tablets)
  • Doxycycline 100 mg capsules (120 capsules)
  • Metronidazole 500 mg tablets (30 tablets)
Each medical bundle is intended as an emergency supply for ONE ADULT.

Your Med comment reminds me to repost the JASE case - Antibiotic package to have on hand $259 bucks. They also have JASE daily where they will fulfill a prescription for 1 year of meds to have on hand. Not cheap (vs insurance) but a great way to be prepared.

jase-case-product.jpeg

EMERGENCY ANTIBIOTIC KIT INCLUDES:

• Unlimited physician follow-up for any questions relating to the use of any medication prescribed
  • Emergency Antibiotic Guide written by board-certified physicians as a companion to the use of your prescribed antibiotics
  • Amoxicillin-clavulanate 875 mg tablets (28 tablets)
  • Azithromycin 250 mg tablets (6 tablets)
  • Ciprofloxacin 500 mg tablets (28 tablets)
  • Doxycycline 100 mg capsules (120 capsules)
  • Metronidazole 500 mg tablets (30 tablets)
Each medical bundle is intended as an emergency supply for ONE ADULT.

The JASE DAILY is amazing, thanks for posting that, it must be new. I am going to order the JASE case, I have been meaning to, and will check out the cost for the DAILY program. There are some off-patent meds that can be substituted for some of the more expensive ones she takes (i.e., non-long release generic tacrolimus is a few cents a pill vs. like 1000 a month for Envarsus) so I might be able to get so the whole year supply for a non-astronomical sum.

I got another two quarts of sauerkraut started tonight. The store had no carrots so I left those out. It looks kind of blah but whatever.

I also did two quarts of bell peppers. Those take a brine so I brought Nalgene bottles with me on my evening hike to fill at a spring.

I have a pH meter coming so I can measure the jars and see when they've reached an appropriate acidity. I don't know how critical that is, but I like the fermented veggies and I want to try a lot more stuff this summer.
Damn, the bell peppers got blue mold on the top so I tossed them. I guess the store bought ones are sanitized and don't contain enough good bacteria to start the fermentation.

I need to get more cabbage and get a couple jars of kraut going. I've got one jar about 2 weeks into a fermentation, and I'm out of stock in the fridge. I love having this stuff on hand so I need to make sure I keep the pipeline filled.

Back
Top Bottom