Prep of The Day Thread

Looking for opinions on the best firestarting device. I'd like to hear from someone that uses it regularly to start a fire quickly and reliably (outside of the Bic lighter). Something that can be bought in bulk without worrying about shelf life.
If for use in homestead (vs say, on the run or in the woods if you've had to bug out), I'd suggest a lightweight welder torch head you can attach via short tubing to a small propane canister. You can light even wet logs with that quickly. Keep 8-10 propane 40lb-ers filled with a 40lb-to-small-canister refill adapter and you can light fireplace fires regardless of wood condition for probably 10 years.

Cheers.

Yeah I wasn't thinking an accelerant/gas. Maybe magnesium as an accelerant, being a component to those strikers that use a ferro rod and magnesium shavings. I'm looking for something reliable, small enough to pack, impervious to weather, and can get many uses. I'd like to hear real world experiences on the item that folks use regularly. Sorry if I'm being too vague.

Yeah I wasn't thinking an accelerant/gas. Maybe magnesium as an accelerant, being a component to those strikers that use a ferro rod and magnesium shavings. I'm looking for something reliable, small enough to pack, impervious to weather, and can get many uses. I'd like to hear real world experiences on the item that folks use regularly. Sorry if I'm being too vague.
Small enough to pack in what, exactly?

For example, I can pretty easily stow a MAPP torch in my truck. It's probably too big for a bug out bag, and definitely too much for my EDC backpack, let alone to keep on my person at all times.

Conversely, a ferrocerium rod can sit in my pocket all the time, wrapped in a couple inches of jute rope and bicycle inner tube. It'll do the job in a pinch, and is shelf-stable, but will take more effort than you may have patience when you absolutely have To Build a Fire.

Update: tried the Starbucks instant and it tastes like crap. Tastes like any other instant cofffee I’ve ever tried but worse.

Gonna have to resort to ground coffee for the apocalypse.
Trader Joe’s freeze dried regular and freeze dried cold brew are not that bad. Glass jars. Decent shelf life. Edit.. Once open the cold brew stuff tends to solidify a little, it's a much finer grain than the other stuff.. No bitter, just tastes like cold brew..

Last edited:
Looking for opinions on the best firestarting device. I'd like to hear from someone that uses it regularly to start a fire quickly and reliably (outside of the Bic lighter). Something that can be bought in bulk without worrying about shelf life.
I like the exotac ferro rods, I keep 1 with each of my big knives. The handle is a water tight storage for 2 tinder tabs that come with it, and replacements are dirt cheap.

Exotac fireROD Ferrocerium Fire Starter Amazon product ASIN B009SF2NB2View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009SF2NB2/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_HNXAJQC4BC0NJ3BEFY9X

Which loader is that? Do you ever worry about the springs?

I never worry about the springs. I've loaded mags and used them 10 years later. As long as you are storing them to protect against rust it's a non-issue.

The loader is a StripLula loader. I store the vast majority of my ammo on stripper clips, but this loader works with both loose and stripped ammo. With strip clipped ammo you can load a 30rd mag in under 5 seconds. I keep one in every ammo can along with a standard military spoon.

StripLULA

They make a single round load/unloader. I keep one in my training bag. Super handy when attending classes and needing to download or empty mags for drill switches.

They also make a pistol mag loader. I have one of these in my training bag as well.

Picked up a Gerber Freeman Guide fixed blade knife at Tractor Supply. It was in the discount section for $14.99. Did I NEED this knife? No. But, it's a solid knife I can toss in one of my prep bags and forget about it until I need it. They only had one. It's listed for $27 on Amazon. My wife's uncle found one at another Tractor Supply after I told him about it for the same discount. Just a solid functional blade, nothing fancy. While there I found some insulated work gloves that also went in to my vehicle "get home" bags, even some in my 11 year old's size, $9 a pair, leather, but insulated.

Do you load 30 or 29 rounds ? Are those the SHK steel mags from Global Ordinance and how do they function?

30 in all mags. I won't keep a mag if it doesn't function with 30. These are the Global Ord $5 mags. I've only shot one. It functioned fine. The reality is if I need these mags I'd already have at least 100 empty PMAGs on the ground and 3k rounds sent downrange so.....

Curious if these truckers are being unknowingly manipulated by leftists/globalists. The whole Great Reset is about tearing everything down and making things as difficult as possible for everyone. Stopping trucks will certainly accomplish that. Trucks coming to a halt has always been a doomsday scenario for preppers and people on the right and now here we are.

30 in all mags. I won't keep a mag if it doesn't function with 30. These are the Global Ord $5 mags. I've only shot one. It functioned fine. The reality is if I need these mags I'd already have at least 100 empty PMAGs on the ground and 3k rounds sent downrange so.....
Im not so concerned about springs as I am about feed lips and the mags themselves spreading. I had an old pre-ban I kept loaded forever (prob a couple of years) and at one point when I tried to load it into the rifle, it wouldnt go into the magwell.

Anyone experience any issue like this?

Curious if these truckers are being unknowingly manipulated by leftists/globalists. The whole Great Reset is about tearing everything down and making things as difficult as possible for everyone. Stopping trucks will certainly accomplish that. Trucks coming to a halt has always been a doomsday scenario for preppers and people on the right and now here we are.
People who will suffer most are those that are drug dependent for their daily living.

I'm kind of doubting that UPS, FEDEX and a few other major companies will participate, I think it's mainly independent drivers/owner operators.

Still, it will put a hurt on lots of people if it drags out any significant length of time.

Anyone who went to a grocery store on Sunday can see immediately what a truck shortage / stoppage can do. Shelves were bare because of the panic buying and no re-supply

If truckers actually banded together most sheep would be impacted directly within just a couple of days

Had this on my Amazon list since 2017. It goes in and out of availability. It’s back and figured why not yesterday. View attachment 571456

Had one...wife bought it...used it once...save the $35 and just fill the tub...great idea but a waste of time...essentially one time use as it WILL mold no matter how dry and clean you think you got it before storing it away.

Had one...wife bought it...used it once...save the $35 and just fill the tub...great idea but a waste of time...essentially one time use as it WILL mold no matter how dry and clean you think you got it before storing it away.

I think for the price it’s worth to just tuck away. I bought it knowing it would be one time use.

Back
Top Bottom